Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing spots?
For the last couple of years I have tried to keep track of the lakes that had enough ice on them to be safely fished. I posted the list on here. I have been asked recently if I know of anyplace that's fishable now. I can only guess that some ponds in the high Uintas may have enough ice now but really don't know of any that have. Anybody know? If you share on here I'll try to post it. If you pm me I'll keep it to myself.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Craig, a Facebook report showed a fishermen on ice in the Uintas. I belive it is a reputable report... However, the poster said the ice was soft and with the warming trend he did not expect it to remain fishable the next day. That was earlier this week. On a post on BTF it was noted that only skim ice was present on lakes.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
They are fishing Henry’s Lake in Idaho right now with 5” in spots. Be careful though. Much less in other spots!
I was up in the Uintas yesterday. Checkout out most of the lakes in the Trial lake area. Most are open water with thin ice on the edges. A few were fully capped but too thin to venture onto. I’d say two weeks until it’s safe.
Next week is looking like the temperatures will get where they need to be to start making safe ice, only about four days forecast in the ice zone so far, but sooner or later the weather pattern is going to shift over into the ice mode... I won't count on it until after Thanksgiving though.. Good luck in your hardwater prep though... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Looking at KSL Microcast, the Trial Lake area (Western Uinta Mountains) is showing highs in the 20's to low 30s, with lows in the single digits to teens through Sunday. If the road stays open, it could be good like last year. Yeah, I know the lake is only 1/4 full, but there are other lakes in the area.

Next up will probably be places like Mill Hollow and Huntington (Mammoth). Then Scofield, Strawberry, Mantua, etc.

Looks like I need to go check some out at the end of the week!

jack of all tackle, master of none
hows the ice on da berry
Update on the uintas. I went up Friday morning and stayed until about 1. I scouted out a bunch of lakes while I was up there. Lily and Lost were capped with 3-4 inches around the shore and 2 inches as you went out. Too thin to be safe. We switched and drove up to Moosehorn. Someone had already been there since there was a ice skating patch already cleared. The ice was 3-5 inches near the edges and a solid 3 inches in the middle. I ended up fishing for 4 hrs in about 8ft of water. I caught about 12 trout total, average was about 12 inches. The ice was safe, but the cold and the wind was brutal. Dress warm. Good luck!
[Image: 89-A8-F588-75-D0-4-C0-F-992-B-3-FBF68064-F04.jpg]Ok
(11-14-2020, 03:40 PM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: Update on the uintas. I went up Friday morning and stayed until about 1. I scouted out a bunch of lakes while I was up there. Lily and Lost were capped with 3-4 inches around the shore and 2 inches as you went out. Too thin to be safe. We switched and drove up to Moosehorn. Someone had already been there since there was a ice skating patch already cleared. The ice was 3-5 inches near the edges and a solid 3 inches in the middle. I ended up fishing for 4 hrs in about 8ft of water. I caught about 12 trout total, average was about 12 inches. The ice was safe, but the cold and the wind was brutal. Dress warm. Good luck

Nice report and good looking tiger, how long was it?
(11-15-2020, 12:24 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 03:40 PM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: Update on the uintas. I went up Friday morning and stayed until about 1. I scouted out a bunch of lakes while I was up there. Lily and Lost were capped with 3-4 inches around the shore and 2 inches as you went out. Too thin to be safe. We switched and drove up to Moosehorn. Someone had already been there since there was a ice skating patch already cleared. The ice was 3-5 inches near the edges and a solid 3 inches in the middle. I ended up fishing for 4 hrs in about 8ft of water. I caught about 12 trout total, average was about 12 inches. The ice was safe, but the cold and the wind was brutal. Dress warm. Good luck

Nice report and good looking tiger, how long was it?

It was 14 inches.
(11-14-2020, 03:40 PM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: Update on the uintas. I went up Friday morning and stayed until about 1. I scouted out a bunch of lakes while I was up there. Lily and Lost were capped with 3-4 inches around the shore and 2 inches as you went out. Too thin to be safe. We switched and drove up to Moosehorn. Someone had already been there since there was a ice skating patch already cleared. The ice was 3-5 inches near the edges and a solid 3 inches in the middle. I ended up fishing for 4 hrs in about 8ft of water. I caught about 12 trout total, average was about 12 inches. The ice was safe, but the cold and the wind was brutal. Dress warm. Good luck!
How were the road conditions? I'm planning on going somewhere up there this week.
(11-15-2020, 05:25 PM)bblake98 Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 03:40 PM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: Update on the uintas. I went up Friday morning and stayed until about 1. I scouted out a bunch of lakes while I was up there. Lily and Lost were capped with 3-4 inches around the shore and 2 inches as you went out. Too thin to be safe. We switched and drove up to Moosehorn. Someone had already been there since there was a ice skating patch already cleared. The ice was 3-5 inches near the edges and a solid 3 inches in the middle. I ended up fishing for 4 hrs in about 8ft of water. I caught about 12 trout total, average was about 12 inches. The ice was safe, but the cold and the wind was brutal. Dress warm. Good luck!
How were the road conditions? I'm planning on going somewhere up there this week.

On Friday the roads weren’t bad at all. Small patches of snow on the road but easily accessible by car. I’m unsure of the current road conditions since Saturdays storm. Best to check the bald mountain traffic cam on Udot’s website.
(11-15-2020, 06:00 PM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: [quote pid='1107464' dateline='1605461136']

On Friday the roads weren’t bad at all. Small patches of snow on the road but easily accessible by car. I’m unsure of the current road conditions since Saturdays storm. Best to check the bald mountain traffic cam on Udot’s website.
[/quote]

Looking at that traffic cam, it looks like driving up there in anything short of a snowmobile, or similar, doesn't look promising.
We tried to get into Mirror from Kamas on Saturday. Made it up to Lily before we turned around about 9am. We tried several lakes on the South side, we couldn't find safe ice. But there was about 2 feet of snow on the road. I don't recommend trying to drive back in.