Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Equipment
Okay guys & gals - what's new for you this year?  New tents, new tackle, new ride, new sonar, etc?  I'll start off by saying my snowmobile & trailer are sold and gone.  I'm waiting on delivery of a SnowDog (Standard w/ reverse in white camo) and looking for a new enclosed trailer (6 X 10 Cargo) to carry all my gear.  Should be an interesting season and I'll be going up to the High Uinta lakes soon.  What is new in your arsenal this year?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(11-10-2020, 02:56 PM)dubob Wrote: Okay guys & gals - what's new for you this year?  New tents, new tackle, new ride, new sonar, etc?  I'll start off by saying my snowmobile & trailer are sold and gone.  I'm waiting on delivery of a SnowDog (Standard w/ reverse in white camo) and looking for a new enclosed trailer (6 X 10 Cargo) to carry all my gear.  Should be an interesting season and I'll be going up to the High Uinta lakes soon.  What is new in your arsenal this year?

Last year was my big purchase (an enclosed trailer for two snowmobiles and my tents, etc.), but I’m curious about the SnowDog. I’ve seen them and talked with a guy using one up at Mill Hollow. Seems like they are slow compared to snowmobiles. Are guys buying them for short distances?
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
I have been researching a new sonar unit upgrade. Not made the purchase yet. I like the units that show the graph vs just the flasher. I get busy eating jerky and like to look and seee if anything came by while I was distracted.

The live scope is so tempting but that is a lot of money to haul out on the ice
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(11-10-2020, 03:14 PM)lakepowellnut Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 02:56 PM)dubob Wrote: Okay guys & gals - what's new for you this year?  New tents, new tackle, new ride, new sonar, etc?  I'll start off by saying my snowmobile & trailer are sold and gone.  I'm waiting on delivery of a SnowDog (Standard w/ reverse in white camo) and looking for a new enclosed trailer (6 X 10 Cargo) to carry all my gear.  Should be an interesting season and I'll be going up to the High Uinta lakes soon.  What is new in your arsenal this year?

Last year was my big purchase (an enclosed trailer for two snowmobiles and my tents, etc.), but I’m curious about the SnowDog. I’ve seen them and talked with a guy using one up at Mill Hollow. Seems like they are slow compared to snowmobiles. Are guys buying them for short distances?
They ARE slow compared to snowmobiles.  But I wasn't aware that ice fishing also included racing to get somewhere.   Big Grin  (JK)

But compared to walking and pulling a hundred or more pounds of tent and gear, they are way faster and one heck of a lot easier to do.  KnowwhatImean Vern?  And at about 300 lbs, they are one heck of a lot easier to get unstuck compared to a 700-1000 pound snowmobile.  All I do outdoors in the snow and cold is ice fish.  This will accommodate that activity with gusto.  Probably not the best choice for everybody, but should work for me just fine.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Will that make it easier/faster/slower to leave someone on the ramp?
New to me tent for this season, and adding a heater to the mix as well. That’s it so far, but wouldn’t mind picking up a kdrill or something like it that’s lighter than my current setup.
I have a  new inline reel to try out, and a few lures on order. Last year was my gear/year and first time using my first fish finder (Striker 4) on ice. I just set it up in an ammo box like someone in this forum showed us. Work good and takes up minimum space.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(11-10-2020, 06:10 PM)JArner Wrote:  wouldn’t mind picking up a kdrill or something like it that’s lighter than my current setup.
Did you see the Kdrill on the Utah For Sale board?
im gonna get some new wax worms Smile
(11-10-2020, 09:45 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 06:10 PM)JArner Wrote:  wouldn’t mind picking up a kdrill or something like it that’s lighter than my current setup.
Did you see the Kdrill on the Utah For Sale board?

I did not...
Carton of wax worms and tank of gas for the truck.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
Dubob, 
Last year I got the same Snowdog as your getting. Ran it all of last year and loved it. I bought 2 of the swivel chairs and only need one. If your interested in my extra, I’d make you a smoking deal on it. I had planned to drive sitting, but it’s just easier and more control while standing. The seat is great for a passenger tho. I got a wheelchair hitch carrier for mine, that is a good way to pack it around. I would also recommend studding the track. I used cold cutter 5/8. Did about half the studs as most do. It saved my butt on echo when the edges were sketchy and glare ice. I think your going to love it. Speed isn’t an issue- enjoy the ride. Mine will do about 20mph wide open. That’s plenty for me. I can pull 3 adults and loaded sleds with a flip shelter behind the train. Never even felt like I lacked power or torque.
My friend Doug bought a Snow Dog a couple of seasons back. We have used it for ice fishing all over the place. Easy to store, easy to transport, easy to get unstuck, easy to steer, etc. Kinda like being pulled along by a souped up roto-tiller. Only downside is that we don't get enough exercise on ice fishing outings...

[Image: RX002619-B.jpg]
(11-10-2020, 05:04 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Will that make it easier/faster/slower to leave someone on the ramp?
Easier but slower.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm getting a 2021 Bass Tracker Classic XL next week. Just in time to store it for the winter.

I'll probably be upgrading the fish finder and adding accessories over the winter. (It comes with a basic Lowrance unit that almost everyone immediately replaces.)
(11-11-2020, 04:00 AM)MACMAN Wrote: I would also recommend studding the track. I used cold cutter 5/8. Did about half the studs as most do. It saved my butt on echo when the edges were sketchy and glare ice.
Did you stud the track yourself?  How hard is it to do that?  I've been leaning towards getting the track studded but hadn't decided for sure yet.  But it would probably be a good idea.  I'll discuss it with Travis at Backwater Performance before I pick it up.  They are waiting for a couple of the accessories to arrive.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I am also interested in  studs for my track. Where were you able to get them? Any suggestions for installing?

I could use a little extra traction getting it into the bed of the pick-up.

rj
My newest trinkets? Already ordered and arrived...Besides several of T.D.'s ice jigs, these are the best overall ice jigs I've ever used...mainly intended for crappie, bluegill, and perch, but I've also lost several when larger trout (Rockport), or bass (Mantua) have sucked 'em in...So I ordered a dozen asst. Demon jigs, from Custom Jigs and Spoons...sizes 14 to 10....good glow on them...red/white, or green/white my favs, but now I'll be trying a couple other colors also..been using them for 15 years, great 'go to' lure....usually can't find them in stores during the ice season cuz they run out...fishing for panfish? don't be surprised when something bigger smacks these....Guluk....
I picked up 2 inline reel and pole combo's, added some lights to the inside of my tent for night fishing and picked up a mini drone for some awesome videos of my fishing expeditions.
(11-11-2020, 02:18 PM)dubob Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 04:00 AM)MACMAN Wrote: I would also recommend studding the track. I used cold cutter 5/8. Did about half the studs as most do. It saved my butt on echo when the edges were sketchy and glare ice.
Did you stud the track yourself?  How hard is it to do that?  I've been leaning towards getting the track studded but hadn't decided for sure yet.  But it would probably be a good idea.  I'll discuss it with Travis at Backwater Performance before I pick it up.  They are waiting for a couple of the accessories to arrive.
Yeah, I did it myself. I ordered kold cutters off amazon. Drive bit in a drill, took about 20 minutes and $12. . I did it from the front, while my boy inched it forward. I could get to 2 rows at a time. I didn’t want to do it, but I was cruising up at East canyon and hit a common patch of slick ice and about wiped out. Now I can just blast across spots like that no problem. Like I said, on the edges that get wet, I’m not sure how you’d cross it without studs. I think I still have a half bag I’d give you if I can find them. I’ll look. I did this pattern...

(11-11-2020, 02:18 PM)dubob Wrote:
Yeah, I did it myself. I ordered kold cutters off amazon. Drive bit in a drill, took about 20 minutes and $12. . I did it from the front, while my boy inched it forward. I could get to 2 rows at a time. I didn’t want to do it, but I was cruising up at East canyon and hit a common patch of slick ice and about wiped out. Now I can just blast across spots like that no problem. Like I said, on the edges that get wet, I’m not sure how you’d cross it without studs. I think I still have a half bag I’d give you if I can find them. I’ll look. I did this pattern...