Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Crappie Jigs and setups
okay let's talk crappie fishing Smile Here are some of my fave jigs for paper mouths. The classic style skirt jigs in red body white tail and all white are great for me and the 2'" white minnow has been my go to jig recently. When I do lock on to a decent school then I will switch up my colors and sizes and see what they like best at that particular time and place. I also always use 1 jig instead of rigging up 2.I also sometimes tip my jig with crappie nibbles though I don't know if it really helps or not and I seem to do fine with out them so I d rather not use them. I honestly haven't been able to tell if they actually catch more fish or not. I know, I know they leave a scent trail and all but I have never personally been a fan of powerbait.. I want to know what other folks like to use. I primarily fish Idaho waters CJ Strike and Brownlee reservoir systems.[inline jigs.jpg]
[signature]
I got some jigs from this member after reading his post last year:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ead#unread
I don't fish with jigs often, except for ice fishing but last Fall we go into a bunch of crappie and the jigs in the pics on that thread did a great job. I also have used white marabou jigs with some success.
[signature]
WH2, wish this forum had instant e-mail notification of replies to posts. It's never worked in the past. I never knew you did well with the lures I sent you and assumed they either weren't used or didn't catch fish. Good to hear they worked well.

As far as lures go for catching any fish species, the link WH2 referred to contains information any angler, no matter experience or age, can catch fish and use those lures to find fish in the first place.

In my experience over the last eight years, I've discovered lure related elements that have greatly increased my annual catch rate - even in water near 40 degrees. They are:
grubs and soft plastics that are rigged on unpainted ball head jigs between 1/32 and 1/8 oz.

lure length never greater than 2 3/4" and 1/4" or less in diameter

grubs designs as pictured in the post mentioned for the best imparted action (curl tail and shad tail grubs not capable of a range in presentations or speed)

thin fluorocarbon leader - 4-6# test attached to braid

light action rod with decent backbone to cast distance and get solid hook sets at those distances (the line combo mentioned accommodate that)

Fish location discovery of course is easier with more casts using the right lures at a slow rate of retrieve - First and foremost the most important advice I can give to those who cast and retrieve lures any time of year.
[signature]
[quote SenkoSam]WH2, wish this forum had instant e-mail notification of replies to posts. It's never worked in the past. I never knew you did well with the lures I sent you and assumed they either weren't used or didn't catch fish. Good to hear they worked well.
[/quote]

Oh, I thought I told you that I had caught a few fish with them[:/], maybe I just replied to another post you made, I'd have to go back and look to be sure but it's been a while now, maybe last Fall. BFT does have a notification you should be receiving when someone replies to a post you made. Unless you turned that feature off or changed your Email address, you should be getting e-mail notifications. If you like, I can walk you through it, so you can check? You can also get e-mail notifications for any board on BFT, so you can see when someone makes a post, like this one. Let me know, I'd be glad to help you get it set up.
[signature]
Just got a notification to your reply. Have checked the box in the past and didn't get a response. Now that I think someone is reading my posts, I have another I just composed some may find interesting and something to consider. Theoretical and lengthy but an idea that actually makes catching fish easier. Stay tuned.

Frank
[signature]
Definitely staying tuned here :-) unpainted jig heads? That's interesting you have found a difference in effectiveness. I've totally became a believer in fishing Plastics without bait over the past two years for most species i fish for it seems.
[signature]
[quote SenkoSam]Just got a notification to your reply. Have checked the box in the past and didn't get a response. Now that I think someone is reading my posts, I have another I just composed some may find interesting and something to consider. Theoretical and lengthy but an idea that actually makes catching fish easier. Stay tuned.
Frank[/quote]
Do you ever check you junk or spam folder, sometimes the Email notices will go to those folders. Here is something that might help, put this in your address book:
webmaster@bigfishtackle.com
[signature]
Good idea. Will do it now.
[signature]
[quote Squarehog]Definitely staying tuned here :-) unpainted jig heads? That's interesting you have found a difference in effectiveness. I've totally became a believer in fishing Plastics without bait over the past two years for most species i fish for it seems.[/quote]

I think that brightly painted jig heads distract from the bait - especially finesse action lures - plus they increase the visual size of the bait a fish sees and focuses on. If I want to use a 2" lure, I don't want it to appear larger. At times, I will file a circle on each side of a jig to show off a shiny spot of bare lead, adding a tiny bit of flash to the gray surface.
[signature]