Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Demonstration/Beginner's Day on the Ice?
Since one of the ice challenge's categories this year involves mentoring new ice fishers (and recruiting new BFT members), wondering if we dare revisit this topic?  Seems like early every year it is a topic of discussion on here, then dies out as we all get busy.  Or maybe we overthink it?

May have to do a north and a south day to better accommodate everyone?  North at Mantua and south at Strawberry or Scofield?  Maybe late December for north and early January for south?

I know it is a tough year for sponsors, but maybe at least get some advertising through Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabelas, Scheels, KSL Outdoors, etc.?  I am willing to help and bring the following gear:

Nils auger/Milwaukee hammer drill
Eskimo HC40 10" propane auger
Eskimo 2-man insulated tent
Humminbird Ice 35 flasher
Marcum M1 flasher
Various rods, reels, jigs, plastics, etc.
Jawjacker
Sled

Heck, maybe it could even turn into a trading exercise (if that's allowed)?

Thoughts?

jack of all tackle, master of none
I love the idea but it may be hard to pull off in the current COVID culture. Right now I am just hopeful to be able to see some of you all on the ice and swap lies.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I've tried to pull this off for several seasons and it is very tough to do. We never know when we'll have safe ice and so it's very hard to pull the logistics together to make it happen. I love the idea of it, but I expect it would have to be a sort of flash mob on the ice to make it happen... Meaning we probably need to pick a day about 3 days ahead, publish here on BFT and Facebook and just convene at that location and do it... With this type logistics it becomes almost impossible to get any business backing and support so we probably ought to just have this in mind of gathering and doing a show and tell swap meet and then when we find a day that looks likely, pull the trigger and do it...

I must confess that my love of first ice keeps me moving to the next lake instead of staying on a safe ice lake to pull off this kind of event... But I'd do it for one Saturday if we had interest in it... I think Hyrum may be a better location for the north since it's easier to get gear on and off the ice.. but I'd be game anywhere, but location may limit what gear we may be able to demonstrate.. I would think we will need at least 6" of ice before we'd dare pull the trigger... What are your thoughts about my comments am I missing something? Besides COVID which may make it impossible this year... Since the Governor implemented the $10,000 fine for the organizer of events, I won't be doing it until the vaccine changes the current environment, but hopefully after the first of the year things will start to get back to a more normal place.. If so maybe we can look at a late January early February event... Till then stay safe and bring on the ice... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!