Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek ?
A couple of questions about Deer Creek to those who have been there recently.  That is in the past 30 years. It's been that long since we have fished it and are considering a trip in the next couple days.

How is the State Park ramp?  I have never used it.

Is there adequate trailer parking this time of year?

Is there a fee at the Island marina ramp?

Now to the important stuff as it has been 30+ years and that was through the ice.  If any have been there and would share what, where, and how we should start the fish search it would greatly be appreciated.

What kind of depths and methods have been working recently.

Idea
The water level has come up about four feet since the end of the water season so both ramps are usable.

There is a fee at the island ramp and there will be plenty of parking.

I haven't fished it lately but I this time of year most trout patterns work quite well. With the DWR doing their fall planting over the last month there should be plenty of willing fish to play with.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
It has been a little over a month since I launched there last, so things might have changed a little. Both launches (Island and Main State Park) are State Park launches so yes there is a fee. I buy the year pass. There should be plenty of parking at either, though lots more at the main State Park. I personally like the main State Park launch because, at least a month ago there was a small courtesy dock on the launch - not one at the Island Launch. Also the Island launch is much flatter going in. As I launch alone, to get the boat off the trailer, the truck has to be so far back past the truck door that you have to wade both launching and retrieving. In this weather I hate that.

Sorry, I am not a great source for catching tips there - I do much better catching on Strawberry - thus the reason I have not been there in over a month. I went a couple times in late September, early October but on subsequent trips drove past and did much better on Strawberry. For me trout are catch and release so no reason to catch a few rainbow on Deer Creek when I could have 30-50 fish days on the cutts. Good luck - weather is suppose to cooperate Monday through Wednesday.
Great info. about the ramps. Just what we needed. Used the main State Park ramp today. We also have a problem with shallow angle ramps, I think it is because our boat is front heavy. Anyway only had tires in about 2 feet. We also buy and use the year pass. I did not know the Island was State Park.

Water temp. 47 when we got there at 8am.
Water temp. 48 when we left at 2pm.

Quite a few fish. Lots of them this fall planters. Nothing like the Berry however.

Largest one was 2 lbs 7 oz. My bride wanted it weighed.
Fished some Koke stuff behind sling blade at 10' and 15' on the riggers. Also long lined stick baits.

Thanks for the help you guys.