Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large Tungsten Jigs
Since going to the Berry with Kent last ice season, I have be looking for heavier tungsten jigs on a larger hook but found little over 1/16 oz.. Well my search is over. I found these large hooked heavy tungsten jigs online at Bass Pro. Maybe 7 pattern choices. These all glow in the dark except for the fire-tiger. they also have a substantial bait barb. The smaller jigs (1/12 oz.) I got last night at the Logan Walmart. 6-7 patterns some glow in dark. They had just opened the box of about 200. The small WM jigs were 2/pkg. @ $1.86. The large BP jigs were 3 for $7.89.

[Image: IMG-1223.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1224.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1225.jpg]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Good find.  Thanks for sharing.  Is it time yet?  I NEED to try out this new SnowDog contraption.  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I am going to let my ignorance out of the bag for all to see with this post.

It seems as though there is a fervor about using tungsten jigs now. Why is this?
Regular lead heads have seemed to work for me wether they have been for tubes or grubs without problem.
(11-18-2020, 07:03 PM)PACMEN Wrote: I am going to let my ignorance out of the bag for all to see with this post.

It seems as though there is a fervor about using tungsten jigs now. Why is this?
Regular lead heads have seemed to work for me wether they have been for tubes or grubs without problem.
Me too. Still make and use all kinds of leadhead jigs.  Catch plenty of fish.  

Kinda wonder if it ain't just the "It's New Gotta Have it" syndrome...even if it does cost more.  I know, lots of arguments about ecology, etc..  But really?????
While some of you might think that this is rocket science, it isn't.  ?

The type of material is irrelevant with regard to weight. A 1/16 ounce lead jig will give the same reading on a weight scale as a 1/16 oz tungsten jig.  However, the lead jig will occupy a larger volume of space than the tungsten jig and the surface area of the lead jig will be larger than the surface area of the tungsten jig.  The larger surface area lead will have more drag in water than the smaller surface area tungsten and therefore, the lead will sink to the bottom slower than the tungsten.  Also, the smaller surface area of the tungsten jig might possibly be more attractive as food to a fish.  Or not!

The fall time to the bottom may , or may not, be important on any given day.  But there is a difference and some folks just want their jig to get back down to 40 feet or more as soon as possible.  And if you use a tungsten jig, it will fall faster than a lead jig of equal weight.  Again, only you can determine if that is important to your fishing requirement or not.  Lead of any weight will get to the bottom of the water just as tungsten of any weight will.  Tungsten will always get there faster, all other factors being equal.

Now if one of you just happens to actually BE a rocket scientist and you have detected an error in my presentation, then please correct me.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Bob, as a former rocket scientist you're points seem valid to me, the density does result in less volume and should result in less drag, so it should fall faster... Never really tested this, but I know that is the argument that they like to talk on the differences... To me the point of smaller size and equally heavy is the reason I like the tungsten... it is easier for the fish to take when they get finicky (down sizing but still have weight to get it down)... But I think you also need to remember to have a line that won't trump your gains by going to the tungsten.. If your line has kinks (in-line reel design helps this) or is slow to sink because it likes to float, (hear rumors that fluocarbon has the best sink rate) then the tungsten won't really help you much... You need to look at the whole picture.. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(11-18-2020, 04:09 PM)dubob Wrote: Good find.  Thanks for sharing.  Is it time yet?  I NEED to try out this new SnowDog contraption.  ?
As a matter of fact: I just unloaded my new Snowdog that I got in Orem. I also got the standard13 w/reverse. It was too long for the carrier that I got on KSL monday, so had to load it into the truck. The carrier now should work fine now, with a removable ramp. yay. I too am in a hurry to find somewhere to learn. Here is a youytube guy on How to unstuck a snowdog that is quiet impressive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIy8oOHS0kM
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I have used tungsten jig heads a little and where I find them useful is that I can put a smaller jig body on a tungsten head than I can on a similar-weight lead jig head. I have noticed that the paint seems to come off faster from a tungsten jig head than it does on a lead jig head, at least the ones that I have used.
(11-18-2020, 11:55 PM)BURLEY Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 04:09 PM)dubob Wrote: Good find.  Thanks for sharing.  Is it time yet?  I NEED to try out this new SnowDog contraption.  ?
As a matter of fact: I just unloaded my new Snowdog that I got in Orem. I also got the standard13 w/reverse. It was too long for the carrier that I got on KSL monday, so had to load it into the truck. The carrier now should work fine now, with a removable ramp. yay. I too am in a hurry to find somewhere to learn. Here is a youytube guy on How to unstuck a snowdog that is quiet impressive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIy8oOHS0kM
Thanks for the video link.  Good information to know.  Hope to pick mine up next week.
Now, back to tungsten jig discussions.  I love 'em for ice fishing for perch and crappie.  Not so much for trout.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(11-19-2020, 02:18 PM)dubob Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 11:55 PM)BURLEY Wrote:
Thanks for the video link.  Good information to know.  Hope to pick mine up next week.
Now, back to tungsten jig discussions.  I love 'em for ice fishing for perch and crappie.  Not so much for trout.

Bob, ditto on the panfish.  I did go looking this fall for some larger hooks on tungsten jigs for trout, etc..  Got a few larger ones (Fiskas Wolfram Walleye XL) from FishUSA (#6 long hooks).  Hope to get out soon to try something somewhere!

jack of all tackle, master of none
I like Rat Finkees but they seem to take forever to get down and then I can't tell when they hit bottom. Tungsten jigs do much better for me. The company that makes the Rat Finkees has come out with the Wolfinkees which utilize tungsten. Haven't tried them yet but I'm eager to do so.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(11-26-2020, 05:54 AM)catchinon Wrote: I like Rat Finkees but they seem to take forever to get down and then I can't tell when they hit bottom. Tungsten jigs do much better for me. The company that makes the Rat Finkees has come out with the Wolfinkees which utilize tungsten. Haven't tried them yet but I'm eager to do so.

Hey brother, I was disappointed in the sink rate and the bottom feel with the Wolfinkee I used at Scofield yesterday.  It went down a little faster than the ratfinkees, but I would have been frustrated in deeper water.  And I couldn't "feel" the bottom any better.  The fish seemed to like it though!

jack of all tackle, master of none
My feelings exactly, Brett. But there was no doubt about the "big ones" you gave me. Burley, thanks for letting us know about the really big ones. They look like just the ticket for attaching a big piece of chub when targeting the big fish at places like Strawberry.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.