Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helpful Lead Vs Tungsten discussion
Last March, I went ice fishing for the first time since I was about 6. Now I'm hooked and my wife's excited to go again as well. Being new to ice fishing, I have been trying to get more tackle. I have a handful of tungsten jigs heads and with almost every ice fishing video or ad I see being about tungsten, I was thinking I would really need to stock up. However, there's one problem, tungsten jigs are very expensive. So, I was trying to figure out more about ice fishing and the importance of using tungsten vs normal lead jigs (if it gives you a lot better chance of success, than maybe a small tackle box with a few tungsten jigs would be better than a larger variety of lead ones). I came across this video and thought that it was helpful so I figured I'd share it.

Youtube: Pros: lead vs tungsten

It gave me some piece of mind that I can probably still do alright without spending all my money on tungsten! Instead I think I have a handful of tungsten and then the rest be lead. That way, I can blow the money I save on the gas to get to the lake Rolleyes Who knows, as I get more ice fishing experience I might change my opinion.
I think you are on the right track. I generally struggle to want to afford the extra cost of tungsten jigs and opt instead for more variety and higher numbers of lead jigs.

If I understand it at all, the benefits of tungsten as a material are best realized on the very small end of the jig spectrum. Tiny objects have high surface area per mass, and that creates drag and bouyancy problems. Tungsten is more dense than lead, so it can have same mass in smaller surface area per volume,, or more mass in the same volume as lead does. I think this matters most when you want the tiniest of jig heads, or small heads that get down fast. Just a few millimeters across, say, for fussy big bluegills clamped up at Mantua after the first week of ice has been pounded by that first rush. One of my favorite lures at that time is a Nuclear Ant, which is the size of two mustard seeds strung on a size 16 hook, and which parachutes down on its little wiggly arms, to boot. I literally cannot just "send it to the bottom" even on 2 lb line. I have to drop it with one of those depth plunger weights, establish depth, haul it up, and send the lure naked back down the hole while it takes 30-40 seconds to sink 10 feet. OR, I have to set a bobber stop, messure that out, and change it every hole. OR, I have to hand-line fish up after setting the hook, once I start getting bites. If that jig was twice as heavy, that would be great! Other hand, if the perch or crappie are biting good, I like these jigs shaoed like a flat banana with a heavy bottom. At 1/8- 1/4 oz, those rocket to the depths, and I doubt having a profile a shade smaller would matter.........unless I was fishing 120 feet down with 10 lb line.....?

Imagine waiting and waiting while a BB sized glass or plastic jiig struggled to drag 4 lb line down 30 feet. You'd never be able to tell when you got there, your strike sensitivity would be awful, especially on "negative" strikes, and you'd spend all day trying to feel your jig, or get it to register on the spring bobber.

So, my $0.02 is bought a good handful of tungsten jigs running from miniscule up to the small range, and then fish whatever is working best.
(11-18-2020, 09:40 PM)RollWithiT Wrote: Last March, I went ice fishing for the first time since I was about 6. Now I'm hooked and my wife's excited to go again as well. Being new to ice fishing, I have been trying to get more tackle. I have a handful of tungsten jigs heads and with almost every ice fishing video or ad I see being about tungsten, I was thinking I would really need to stock up. However, there's one problem, tungsten jigs are very expensive. So, I was trying to figure out more about ice fishing and the importance of using tungsten vs normal lead jigs (if it gives you a lot better chance of success, than maybe a small tackle box with a few tungsten jigs would be better than a larger variety of lead ones). I came across this video and thought that it was helpful so I figured I'd share it.

Youtube: Pros: lead vs tungsten

It gave me some piece of mind that I can probably still do alright without spending all my money on tungsten! Instead I think I have a handful of tungsten and then the rest be lead. That way, I can blow the money I save on the gas to get to the lake Rolleyes Who knows, as I get more ice fishing experience I might change my opinion.

I would guess in the near future you won't have to decide which material to use.  You already can't use any lures/jigs that contain lead in the national parks.  Hopefully the cost of tungsten will come down but I doubt it. Sad
The cost will not come down, it will go up.  Tungsten is an expensive metal in the first place while lead is fairly cheep.  Tungsten melts at a higher temperature than the hooks themselves so they are not poured like lead, they are sintered.  In short, the reason they are so expensive is that the methods and materials are pretty high to begin with, and putting demand on the system is likely to increase cost, not reduce it.

I concur with the benefits, and limits of Tungsten.  Once you get the jigs to depth, the lighter materials actually make the jig more attractive, but getting it down is the problem for sure.
A couple random thoughts about tungsten;
1. New tackle and techniques create interesting articles which sell magazines. When another new space age material is used for tackle, tungsten will be labeled obsolete.

2. Tungsten is mixed with lighter, cheaper material like nickel and iron to make jigs and waterfowl shot. Its possible to manufacture jigs that are less dense than lead and still label them as tungsten, think crab with a K.

3. Lead has been catching fish for a very long time and will continue to do so.

4. Tungsten is probably best utilized in very small sizes.

5. Every time I read a magazine article that claims lead jigs are toxic when fish swallow them i want to slap the author, the non toxic steel hook is a much bigger danger to a fish digestive system than a painted jig head.

And I wonder why the kids at work call me " that grumpy old guy".
Hey RollWithiT, glad you and the Mrs are getting hooked on it! I have invested a little bit more in tungsten this year. Wal-Mart often has Eagle Claw "two-fer" packs of painted tungsten jigs at a reasonable price. Other than that, yes, they are pricey.

I wish there were more options for unpainted tungsten jig heads (for tube jigs, etc.). Nothing more frustrating than seeing a fish on the finder and can't get your rigged plastics down there quick enough.

Hope to see you on a lake this winter (and the sooner the better)!

jack of all tackle, master of none
I have never used tungsten. Caught plenty of fish including perch and crappie. Does it work, probably. May I try it in the future, maybe. As for now I buy my small jig heads off Ebay and done great.
First off don't get caught up in having get all the fancy stuff out there. Keep it simple while you figure out what best works for you use. Tungsten is good specially in the 3mm or less. A lot of us grew up using lead jigs and are use to how to fish with them. To me lead has a better feel to it. Sometimes I don't want drop down as quickly as I can. Also should try some 1/16 to 1/8 jigging spoons. Most fish that is available in Utah waters can be caught easily with a spoon baited with a meal worm. That is my go to.