Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would Lincoln be a good bet?
I just had a neck surgery, and have all this forced time off.  Some mild activity seems to have really brought it along quickly, so I'm tempted.to go fishing.  Cranking a reel is definitely good physical therapy, and the pain is minimal unless I do a couple of very specific stupid things.  

Anybody got the lowdown on Utah Lake?  I'd love to just hit some white bass, maybe crappie, and bluegills.  I rarely fish much in the fall, so I don't have a good finger on the pulse.  Panfish still in the marinas?  Would LB be a decent bet?

I'll be skipping loading the kayak, but could probably get away with wading. 

Any other suggestions?
White bass should be in the area. If you catch one cutip the meat and put a chunk on a hook for cats.
Reports, like usual for this time of year are, catching 100, or no bites. I personally love to wander the UL harbors in Nov and Dec. Had some epic days and some days that a big mac was all that went home with me. I really like American Fork harbor and Saratoga, but they are the closest to me.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Hmm, didn’t know there were lake trout in there? Thanks for the tip
(11-23-2020, 02:58 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Hmm, didn’t know there were lake trout in there? Thanks for the tip

LoL. Bad pun on my part eh. I only eat the qrt pounders anyway Wink

Hope we see you on the ice
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Cowboy, aside from WB, how do you do on other panfish in the Harbors?

I've always been really busy hunting this time of year, and need to learn fall fishing.
(11-24-2020, 10:22 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Cowboy, aside from WB, how do you do on other panfish in the Harbors?

I've always been really busy hunting this time of year, and need to lean fall fishing.

My favorite is to hit the grates at Saratoga for mixed bags but that is also a  favorite of a few thousand others so I rarely get the chance. Jigging the docks in the fall after the boat traffic dies at any of the harbors is usually proactive for crappie or perch.. I like to bounce micro jigs in the rock along your feet on the surf breaks for fiesty sunfish. I can keep entertained for hours with 4 inch sunfish rushing out like jaws from a tiny crack between boulders. But I still watch Bugs Bunny  cartoons, so that should tell ya somthing. Don't discount fall bass fishing too in the docks and weedlines. A great time that is not as popular
Saratoga is private, no? I was doing some of that in Oct, and picked up a few nice crappie, bluegills, and WB along with tons of little greenies an gills. A few days ago I went to AF, and they had all shrunk and put on their perch costumes.

That kind of fishing at Willard in mid-summer can net you some surprisingly large green sunfish. My best was over 8.5" an seemed so HUGE, since it was a greenie. Such Angry little territorial dudes. Seems to be one on the back side of every large rock or hole that you can barely see underwater, at about a long pole's length.
Lincoln Beach usually has plenty of white bass in the harbor and at the first spring. Silver spinners cast out from the ramp were doing fine in October. Curly-tails and plain old worms will get bites. I watched as two little kids hauled in wb on nearly every cast using small tube jigs. Their "casts" were a few feet off shore--they would jiggle them around and haul the fish in with a few cranks of their reels. This was where the little beach is next to the ramp.

At Provo Harbor fish can be caught off the docks. Use ice-fishing tactics. You can suspend a waxworm near the bottom under a small bobber while jigging another setup. White bass are most numerous but crappie, perch and bluegills sometimes come to call. I've caught several channel cats by casting a piece of wb out from shore and letting it sit on the bottom. I've also heard of people catching walleye there. Good luck and have fun.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(11-25-2020, 01:43 AM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Saratoga is private, no?
The community harbor at Saratoga Springs is indeed private.  However, the one at Pelican Bay is open to the public.  And is free access to anyone without a boat trailer.  Free launching for float tubes and other small craft and good fishing from the rocks or docks.  That fishing around the grates of the new water intake facility can be "grate".

I am attaching a map and some pics to help differentiate this spot from the private one.
[Image: PELICAN-BAY-ACCESS.jpg][Image: PELICAN-BAY.jpg][Image: SARATOGA-SPRINGS-MARINA.jpg][Image: INTAKE-STRUCTURE.jpg]
Yeah, that's what thought, thanks. Pelican Bay is one of my usual spots, along with the Pumphouse, AF and Lindon harbors, and the Knolls. All of which I learned about from your maps TD, that you gave me 10 years ago.

TubeDude, Catchinon, CowboyPirate and others..... I hope this comes out right. I really appreciate all the replies and info, but I've been around enought I though more of you would recognize my user name....... I fish Utah Lake a lot in the spring and summer, and THANKS TO YOU ALL, I have had lots of success over the last 15 years, and have posted about it as frequently as I had anything interesting to say.

I just haven't done much in the fall and wanted a recent report or some info dialed in specifically to THIS time of year. Again, thank you all.
I take no offense. I had to ask my oldest boy his name when he showed up at the table this morning, so if I rambled on about generalities vs. what you actually asked, just know you are not the only one shaking his head when I get
to pontificating. I don't fish UL that often and would be happy to learn from you anytime.
(11-27-2020, 02:20 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I take no offense. I had to ask my oldest boy his name when he showed up at the table this morning, so if I  rambled on about generalities vs. what you actually asked, just know you are not the only one shaking his head when I get
to  pontificating. I don't fish UL that often and would be happy to learn from you anytime.
  Well, the good thing about that is that there IS always some newer guy out there who will read the threads, learn from them, and have a great day fishing sooner or later. 

I just don't want good people with better things to do, to type more than needed on my account!