Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buy your mealworms early
(11-25-2020, 08:05 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Jeff, can you put a picture of your panning deal on? I guess I should utube it.

We were in 10 feet Monday. But I have one or two infrared lights I can turn on. I didn't know you had to turn them on at the screen when I tried it before.
This is a mod to my rod holder that I’m hoping will make the camera setup easier. Later Jeff[Image: image.jpg]
S
orry I couldn’t get a better picture but that clear cap has a slot that I put a loop of camera cord through then twist the clear cap to point the camera where I need it.
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thank you tons. I utubed it also so now I know what you mean. That will help me find my jig.
My go to for Trout, Perch and Kokanee is meal worm on the rod in my hand ice fishing, I bite the head off and thread them onto the hook. I believe I am sweetening the deal by removing the head to release more flavor and scent. I really like how hardy they are and how well they stay on the hook.
(11-25-2020, 09:08 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: My go to for Trout, Perch and Kokanee is meal worm on the rod in my hand ice fishing, I bite the head off and thread them onto the hook.

How do they taste?
(11-25-2020, 10:57 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 09:08 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: My go to for Trout, Perch and Kokanee is meal worm on the rod in my hand ice fishing, I bite the head off and thread them onto the hook.

How do they taste?
Not much flavor, I spit out the head. I was watching Shark Tank on TV there was a guy from Utah trying to get investment in his protein bar company, the Sharks where more interested in the meal worm flower making process he had developed they thought the money was in selling flour made from meal worms, yum.
(11-24-2020, 01:12 AM)fast_randy Wrote: Has anybody but me ever had no luck at all with meal worms. I have been buying them and using them for 30 years and don't remember ever catching anything on them.  
No, you are not alone. 

When I first started ice fishing, people told me to buy meal worms instead of crawlers, so I did, and had several dry- hole days at PV, Mantua,  and Utah Lake before I found some WAX worms, which "broke the ice" for me. 

Since then I've caught a bunch of fish tipping with mealworms, especially REAL mealworms (the little squiggly ones, as the big ones you most often see are actually a completely different species), but I always seem to do much better on waxies, mousies, spikes, and perch eyes.  

I tried soldierfly larvae once, because I found them super cheap on Ebay, but they were pretty mediocre, and matured enough to pupate within three weeks (even without food). 

I had GREAT luck when we cut down a diseased honey locust tree in the fall once and I harvested about 200 locust-borer beetle larvae from under the bark and the hollow of the trunk.   Those things were MONEY!