Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BL Whitefish 11-29-20
Drove around to 2nd point and wade fished for an hour or so this morning from 7:30 to 9 ish in the morning.

The whitefish were in casting range and we're biting very willingly. I caught 6 and lost 1 in that hour and a half. I used a small pearl-white paddle tail jig tipped with nightcrawler.

Average size was 16", I caught one that was only around 12" and one that was a little bigger, probably in the 18-19" range.

Kept two 16 inches

for the fryer and threw the rest back to spawn.

I even tried my hand at the gyotaku japanese fish printing with one when I got home, and I think it looks pretty cool for a first try.

[Image: PXL-20201129-173330549.jpg]
[Image: PXL-20201129-180847692.jpg]
Thank you for the report!
That is the report that I wanted to read! Headed there in the morning.
Nice, thanks for the report.
Thank you that is great news. Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Hey, SkunkedAgain, what's your schedule like? It's been years since I tried this trip, but you tried to help me and my friend, last time. Looks like I may try again Wednesday.
(11-30-2020, 03:05 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Hey, SkunkedAgain, what's your schedule like?  It's been years since I tried this trip, but you tried to help me and my friend, last time.  Looks like I may try again Wednesday.
I sure wish I could join you, but I'm working the full week this week... Planning on ice next week at Henry's so I have to put my time in this week so I'm not behind next week when I plan to go play... Thanks for the invite, I really would love to get after those whities they are so much fun and contrary to some of the comments lately, I don't think they are that boney and they taste delicious to me... Especially smoked... best of luck to you guys... Later Jeff
My reports have been from spotty to zilch the last couple of days...at all the usual places...from all the usual whitieologists.  The fish are still staging and have not really hit the beach in great numbers yet.  It can be good for an hour or two on one day and blank the whole next day.  Or, you can show up just as the main run is starting and it can be wide open bendo all day.
Sorry Jeff and others, that was me that made the less than complimentary comment about BL Whitefish as an "eater". I apologize as my comparison basis is with kokanee. And yeah I know there are those that do not care for kokanee. We all have our favorites. That said, I am really needing a fishing fix, so I am going to eat a little crow, or better yet BL whitefish, and make the trip to BL on Wednesday morning. If successful, I will try smoking them - that usually makes anything taste good.
Coming from Utah county, it is a long way, generally best through Evanston. Still deciding whether to drag the boat or just jet up there in the car and fish from shore. Anyone know if there is any significant snow on the ground around BL? That may help with the decision.
Well - to all those I offended with my comments - I am sorry. This COVID stuff has made me cantankerous - just call me curmudgeon. I will try to be more respectful in the future. I am sure the comments were made in ignorance on my part. Thanks guys.
(11-30-2020, 10:28 PM)brookie Wrote: Sorry Jeff and others, that was me that made the less than complimentary comment about BL Whitefish as an "eater". I apologize as my comparison basis is with kokanee. And yeah I know there are those that do not care for kokanee. We all have our favorites. That said, I am really needing a fishing fix, so I am going to eat a little crow, or better yet BL whitefish, and make the trip to BL on Wednesday morning. If successful, I will try smoking them - that usually makes anything taste good.
Coming from Utah county, it is a long way, generally best through Evanston. Still deciding whether to drag the boat or just jet up there in the car and fish from shore. Anyone know if there is any significant snow on the ground around BL? That may help with the decision.
Well - to all those I offended with my comments - I am sorry. This COVID stuff has made me cantankerous. I will try to be more respectful in the future. I am sure the comments were made in ignorance on my part. Thanks guys.
Pictures sent by those reporting show no snow on the rocks along the east side.  Supposed to be a light dusting late tonight but not enough to even make the roads slick.  Wednesday is forecast to be sunny and cold...with only light breezes in the morning.

And, about the palatability of whitefish.  It is always a matter of personal opinion.  But overall, qualitywise, most who try them rate them on a par with good trout.  The meat is white, firm and flaky.  Not much of a "unique" taste at all.  As with all fish, the end results are determined more by how you care for the fish before cooking and how you cook them rather than the actual type of fish.  But, on a personal note, comparing them to kokanee is like comparing chicken nuggets to prime rib.
Tube Dude, thanks for the "snowcast". Should be a reasonable road trip.
(11-30-2020, 10:28 PM)brookie Wrote: Sorry Jeff and others, that was me that made the less than complimentary comment about BL Whitefish as an "eater". I apologize as my comparison basis is with kokanee. And yeah I know there are those that do not care for kokanee. We all have our favorites. That said, I am really needing a fishing fix, so I am going to eat a little crow, or better yet BL whitefish, and make the trip to BL on Wednesday morning. If successful, I will try smoking them - that usually makes anything taste good.
Well - to all those I offended with my comments - I am sorry. This COVID stuff has made me cantankerous - just call me curmudgeon. I will try to be more respectful in the future. I am sure the comments were made in ignorance on my part. Thanks guys.
PM me if you want company, Brookie.  I can split the gas at a minimum.   

I've had COVID and recovered, so I'm less of a health liability than the average. Big Grin
SB - PM sent
(11-29-2020, 06:17 PM)F15Hwhisperer Wrote: I even tried my hand at the gyotaku japanese fish printing with one when I got home, and I think it looks pretty cool for a first try.

That print looks awesome. Is it on rice paper? What type of ink is used.

Kent, be sure to tell us about your trip today.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Our trip was less than stellar; especially for me. We only caught 3 at Second Point and the shore anglers didn't seem to catching much of anything (while we were looking anyway). We left after a couple hours and tried another spot, for whitefish without success. We then moved out around the Rock Pile and there Kory caught two using a tube jig fishing for cutthroats and macks. Kory caught a decent cutt (I caught a smaller one) and he caught a few other cutts. He also caught a 12 pound mack. Hopefully, my Friday trip goes better.
Brookie no offense taken on the comment, I think the thing about whitefish is they are very mild flavored like a walleye or perch type meat, not a lot of fishy flavor to them... Where a kokanee is a very fishy flavor to me and I like them both, but those that don't like fishy flavor tend to like the whitefish more at least that is what I've seen from the smoked fish that I'd take to work... People that say they don't like fish, tend to like the whitefish more... But since I'm working from home these day's I probably don't need to keep many fish this year... Sure need to teach my family to eat fish, it would be a lot more fun to return from a successful trip if the family was looking forward to the feast, but since they don't, it's easy to practice catch and release... Other than that one for me...

Kent, so apparently your Bear Lake trips are different than mine, if I caught half a dozen fish including a 12 pounder, I'd consider it a pretty good day... If I beat the skunk most trips at Bear Lake I'm happy... but if Kory got all the fish and you just watch him reel them in, then I can see your point... Later Jeff
(12-01-2020, 03:34 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Kent, so apparently your Bear Lake trips are different than mine, if I caught half a dozen fish including a 12 pounder, I'd consider it a pretty good day...  If I beat the skunk most trips at Bear Lake I'm happy... but if Kory got all the fish and you just watch him reel them in, then I can see your point... Later Jeff

The fish count was Kory 9 and Kent 3.  The bite count was way worse.  I missed one light whitefish bite and lost one other large fish.  Kory, must of missed 20 bites and lost 1/2 dozen (or even more) fish!  Unfortunately, that is a fairly common trip with Kory.  I always tell him, that I find it frustrating that I am fishing with a bunch of skill and he keeps out fishing me with dumb luck.  Not sure how much longer I can say that and have to admit he is a superior angler.  But it is all fun.
(12-01-2020, 03:48 AM)BURLEY Wrote:
(11-29-2020, 06:17 PM)F15Hwhisperer Wrote: I even tried my hand at the gyotaku japanese fish printing with one when I got home, and I think it looks pretty cool for a first try.

That print looks awesome. Is it on rice paper? What type of ink is used.

Kent, be sure to tell us about your trip today.

It is on rice paper, a roll from the local art store was surprisingly cheap. I used a water-based acrylic paint, that way I was able to wash the fish off after the print, and still be able to fillet and fry it up. Some of the people in the youtube videos that I watched used some sort of squid ink, but it seemed like the acrylic paint, thinned out with just a bit of water, worked pretty well. Always fun to try something new.