Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ice Report 2020/2021
Here we go again. I'm going to try to keep a journal of waters that are safe to ice fish. I intend to go to each lake each week to ascertain its fishableness--just kidding. I will be out and about and will report what I know directly but this list depends mostly on good accurate reports from everyone. I have done this for a couple of years now and my overriding concern has always been to ensure the safety of all out on the ice. I will usually not include a water that doesn't have 4" of ice. This is widely accepted as the safe minimum. Let's not have a big argument about this--drowning can really put a damper on a fishing outing. What I'm trying to say is that I, personally, won't give a GO to a place that doesn't measure up. I try very hard to be objective and try not to make recommendations but instead simply report what I read or hear. It's hard not to want to include notes on the quality of the fishing or methods used, etc. but that's not the purpose of the list. I strongly encourage everyone to make regular fishing reports on this board.

Note: PLEASE alert me if anything I have reported is inaccurate or wrong. I love to be corrected (gently) because I like to be right. And in this case it could be very serious. Further, no one should trust anyone else's report of safe ice. It is your responsibility to check as you go. A spud bar is a great investment for doing this. 

December 1
+ People are fishing on Scofield, Huntington (Mammoth), and Cleveland. Some of these lakes aren't all capped over nor do I have a verified report on ice thickness. These lakes should be considered marginal at this time. Exercise extreme caution when appoaching these spots. I do know that on November 28 there was a lot of open water at Scofield and only about 2 scant inches at the docks at Madsen Bay. People were fishing off the docks and on the dam arm. People were still shore fishing the open water on the east side of Madsen.
+ I suspect that many of the lakes in the High Uintas are fishable but have heard nothing specific. Nor do I know what access is like. Please report in if you know.

December 4
+ 8" at Huntington (Mammoth).
+ More people are fishing the dam arm at Scofield. This is the only area there that is known to have enough (you check) ice to fish on until further reports come in.
+ Mantua is a no-go with barely 2" of ice. Maybe next weekend.

December 5
+ 6-7" at Madsen Bay and the dam arm at Scofield. You still need to exercise caution as the ice is probably thinner farther out. Check as you go: you know the drill (pun intended).
+ 6-7" at Mill Hollow.

December 7
+ "Drove up to Mantua around noon today (Sunday) to see just what the pond looked like. It is mostly iced over. Maybe 20 people still fishing, some as far out as most go during mid winter. Talked to a few guys that said the ice was about 5 inches deep out a hundred yards: but the hand he held up only looked like a thin 4 inches of ice. Anyway not too bad, but they said getting on and off is scary because the ice is all broke up and shattered."

December 8
+ "Just checked Mantua, Ice is fractured near shore and still thin. Went out 100 feet to drill hole and got a measurement of 3 1/4 inches." I'd give it a few more days to be safe.
+ Both Echo and Newton have 3" of ice in spots. Would be better to wait a few days before you try them.

December 9
+ For those of you curious about Fish Lake, you need to know that it hardly ever forms enough ice before January.  I'll try to keep you updated when it gets closer. I hope those in the know down there will let us know; not much fun to drive 2-3 hours just to check it out and find that it's too thin.

December 11
+ "There's 10in of good solid ice on Little creek(Randolph) reservoir. 8in of good solid ice on Woodruff creek reservoir."
+ Echo and Newton are being fished on 3" ice. That isn't really thick enough, especially for groups. Give it a few days.
+ Fritzfishin reported 3.5" at Mantua today. Obifishkenobi posted this: "I spent the day out there yesterday and can say there is over 4" of solid clear ice, the best edges for getting on is where the beach transitions to weeds south of the boat ramp. Another concern is there is no snow on the ice and it is very slick, I suggest the use of ice cleats."
+ PACMEN reported: "Made a quick trip to Otter Creek. I fished south end. Ice was 4+ inches where I was."
+ It seems there is essentially no snow on the ice anywhere, leaving the surfaces extremely slick. Cleats are essential for safety everywhere. I've heard of a few falls recently and they sound like they were a real pain in the ice ;-) . Probably better to fall on that part of your anatomy than, oh, say, shattering your elbow.
+ At this very moment I see on the camera at Provo Harbor three people fishing on the ice. I have not heard any reports of more than 3" ice there or at any of the harbors. I'll stay on the docks, thank you very much.

December 13
+ "drove by Farmington pond and there were a few groups out.  Talked to a Father/son just coming off the ice... Ice was 3.5+ inches where they were. Looked like the ice has been swiss-cheesed over the past few days."
+ Hook_sets on Provo Harbor: "Ice is about 4” thick, and many people standing on the ice fishing."

December 15
+ "went to the Saratoga Springs marina and found some ice! There was 3-4 inches of safe ice.... We checked some other places but Saratoga springs was the only one with really safe ice." 
+ Reports of up to 5" ice at Mantua but with variable conditions and many soft spots. Styngray32 reported: "Don't fish in the area off the dike!  Today a guy fell through about 200-300 yards straight out from the stairs. I know this because I called 911 and crawled out to him ...."

December 17
+ Strawberry: "Mud creek has maybe 150-200 yards from the back of the bay before hitting open water.  Ice is good 4-6 inches (didn't have measuring tape).  A few people fishing...."

December 18
+ One report of 6" ice at Echo.
+ About 3.5-4" of good solid ice at the docks of Provo Harbor. Ice out in the harbor looks rotten and full of small holes.
+ One report of 3" ice at Grantsville. I wouldn't go until it gets a little thicker.

December 19
+ "... at Causey .... Ice was 5-8".
+ "I was at smith and morehouse today. We parked on a large dirt parking lot before the turnoff to head up to SM. We took a snowmobile up there since the dirt road isn’t maintained. We took our snowmobile down the boat ramp and onto the lake. It was 10+ inches everywhere we dug holes."
+ 2knots reported on Strawberry: "Drove by it today, east Chicken has a small amount of what looks like cloudy ice on the shore below the bathroom, west chicken has ice out into the bay with snow from this am on it, didn’t see anybody down there and based on the other ice it’s probably not ready, wind and waves were blowing into the coves from the main part of the lake"
+ He also checked Porcupine and it's still quite a way from being ready to fish.
+ hookngrinin's report on Strawberry Soldier Creek: "I drove by there on Wednesday Dec. 16. The back of the bay is iced up out to about 75 yards. There was one shelter out on it."

December 24
+ "I didn't see Newton listed here, but there is about 6" on the south side near the shade... Seen lots of others scattered in the sunny spots on Saturday, so must be enough... it was pretty slushy Friday and Saturday, but hopefully the cold will tighten that surface up so it won't be such a mess..." -Jeff
+ "I stopped on my way to work tonight to see if the ice on Rockport had any thickness. One strike with the spud bar and right through. It might be one inch or less at best at the dam, so I will probably give it two weeks to attempt to get on it." -Gabe

December 25
+ On Settlement: "There were some places in the middle that were 3.5-4 in, and a little cloudy for my liking..we fished there for awhile but started getting lots of water on the deck so we moved closer to the dam and the ice was about 5in and stable."

December 28
+ "I took a drive up to hyrum today to check it out talked with the dwr he said it still had open water on Xmas but it is frozze over now but only 2 1/2 to 3 inches at the boat ramp"
+ "ice on the main lake outside the marinas at Utah lake is definitely not safe yet! 2-1" "  A number of people have been out fishing in the harbor at Provo. Not positive, but I think all the harbors my be fishable now. Check as you go. If it seems iffy there's another spot nearby, don't chance it.
+ "I track ice conditions there via Facebook page “Flaming Gorge Ice fishing”. From multiple posts it seems Firehole has safe ice, not sure how far south, but saw something about no ice to speak of at Buckboard." -joatmon
"My friend fished the confluence yesterday on six inches of ice. He said that there was open water not to far south of there."
"As said above there are people fishing as far as the confluence (Road 11) the ice can be very inconsistence this time of year so check it regularly as you go. Fishing farther up stream in the blacks or green arm will provide thicker ice for sure." -Muskyon46
"I fished there on Saturday and the ice we fished was 8-inches.  It can be variable in there though, so definitely check as you go.  There were a lot of anglers on the ice too.  The ice sheet ended at Confluence Point, so the end of Forest Service road 11 was open water.  There were portions starting to skim over, from there down to Currant Creek, and from Buckboard south to the dam its still open water.  The ice was pretty polished, so bring your cleats." -Ryno
+ Dubob shared with me that there were a few people fishing isolated spots on Pineview but that large portions of the lake are still open water. Not really a good time to head out there unless you are fully prepared to drive away if the conditions aren't fully safe. Too many other places to fish for now.

Dec. 30
+ On Lost Creek: "I drove up Sunday. Next to the dam is safe there was a family on a ATV pulling a tube and a few ice fishermen. The middle was still open. Drove to the boat ramp on slick packed snow and found more ice anglers did not check thickness but figured if a family on an ATV was willing to go on it it was safe."

Dec. 31
The following waters have become fishable, at least in some areas, in the last while. Check as you go.
East Canyon, Rockport, Lost Creek, Joe's Valley, Strawberry, Smith & Morehouse, Settlement, Grantsville, Pineview, Flaming Gorge, Hyrum.
Coming soon: Porcupine, Fish Lake. Unknown but possiblly/probably ready: Starvation, Current Creek. Please report on any of these and others you happen to know about. I realize that this digest is thin on waters to the east and south and will try to include any info I can get concerning them.

Just a suggestion: If you head to any water that has a chance of being unsafe in your opinion, have a backup. Examples: if you want to check Hyrum and it just isn't ready then go on up to Newton. Get to JV and it's too scary for you, head back to Scofield. Rockport isn't safe in your book, go on to Echo. You get the idea. I, personally, want to go to Porcupine, but if it's not ready I can go back to Mantua. Fish Lake not ready? There are several others in the area that could make for fine fishing. Happy fishing and stay on the top side.

Jan. 3
+ Hyrum: "I've been there each day since Wednesday, ice yesterday was 4-5 inches everywhere we went, and I did move around. Someone rode out from the boat ramps on a snowmobile"
+ Joe's Valley has 11-12" of ice but if you access from the west side ramp area beware of the many open spots caused by warm springs. Just about the scariest spot I have seen in Utah ever. Give those open holes a wide berth and you can wind your way out to deeper water and safe ice.
+ Fish Lake: "Hit Fish Lake today their were people from the south end (Doctor Creek) all the way to the north end (the neck) I fished at Joe Bush ice was 6 to 8 inches thick."
+ "Saw a report that FL was capped so we decided to make the south.  Went near Joe Bush and found only 3.5” of ice.  There were several groups in the area fishing, but I was a little uneasy with the ice thickness.  Could have been that we found a thin spot, but we headed back to the south end of the lake.  Found 4” of consistent ice on that end.  Still open water near Twin Creek. Should have more consistent ice with another week of cold weather."
+ Porcupine: 5" ice reported in the spot being fished.
+ "Hit East Canyon for the first time this ice season.  4" of ice where we fished."
+ Currant Creek: "Three of us fished the reservoir on Wednesday. Could still drive all the way around the reservoir. Snowpack is in bad shape. About 7 inches of ice."

Jan. 7 
+ Parts of Starvation have up to 10" of ice. Be aware that it is still building ice in many areas and be careful venturing far out. I don't have to tell you how to check as you go.
+ Steinaker and Matt Warner are being fished. 
+ Cottonwood has about 10-12" of ice. The reservoir is being filled so the rising ice makes the edges somewhat iffy. Might not hurt to take a plank. Officials warn that the ice is very thin around the inlet. People should stay well back from the open water.

Jan. 17
+ Panguitch: "2" of snow on ice.10"-12" of clear ice.Snow machines, 4 wheelers, and side x sides on the lake.
+ Deer Creek is at an in-between point. Some areas are capped and people are getting out on it, mostly in the Charleston area. Ice shelters have been spotted around the island. There is a lot of open water, espcially in the lower areas. It may still be possible to launch into open water but there is no definite info regarding that. I welcome any reports we can get about DC and Jordanelle.

Jan. 18
+ Flaming Gorge: "I spent the weekend out ice fishing the wyoming side of flaming gorge.  We fished out of anvil Saturday morning. The only ice In anvil and  some of sheltered coves away from the main  channel.was 8 inches of ice. The main channel from the pipeline to  brinegars is all open water. We fished out of South buck board Saturday afternoon and Sunday. 10 inches plus of ice. People were spread out every where. This morning "monday" i fished the confluence.  Ice was 14 inches thick. I hope this post helps with everyone heading up this weekend for the burbot bash. Roads and ice were all snow free. Acces to the lake anywhere from shore."

Feb. 2
+ "Deer Creek - Saw four groups of anglers fishing by the island.  Rainbow Bay is capped also. but didn't see any angler tracks.  Back of Walsburg is also frozen.  Saw tracks of somebody who made it to the other side of Walsburg.  Didn't stop to check for ice thickness.  Main marina boat ramp is still open water."

Feb. 4
+ Utah Lake: It sounds like the ice fishing is done there unless you use the docks. Most of the lake has lost its cap.
+ Deer Creek: "Came back this morning. BEWARE! After Tuesday wind, warm and now rain I found it quite unsafe After Walking 50 feet out , turned around and went to Strawberry"
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hey Craig one other disclaimer you should add is ice conditions are subject to change. Just because the ice is good today, doesn't mean it will be good tomorrow... Currents, sun, wind and lots of things can change conditions so use these values as starting points but final safety is in your hands... feet, or spud bars.... i know many of you have probably seen the youtube blogger that went through the ice this year and lost all his gear and later fished it out with his boat... Seeing how sketchy the ice was when he was leaving the shore, being new ice, he should have never went out... In the spring when the edges go bad, you can justify it a little more, but when it's new ice and the main body of ice doesn't have the safety of a good black ice layer underneath an iffy surface it's just time to stay off the ice... Anyway it will be here soon, but it's definitely that time of year when you have to practice good ice safety. We haven't had the big super cold temps to make a great ice sheet this year, we have got an ice sheet that is building a little and melting some, then building some more and melting some more and so it's a different situation than usual first ice years, so be very careful this year, it's not business as usual this year... so treat it will respect and caution... Like Craig says we don't want drownings.... Be safe... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Any updates on Scofield?

Thanks
No, but I may go later in the week and post an update.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Drove around Mantua on the way home from Bear Lake this afternoon.  A large part of the lake has a thin layer of ice...with only maybe10% along the west side still open water.  If the breezes don't rip off what is there it shouldn't be too long before it is fishable.  Mantua always caps before Willard...usually about the second week of December.
(12-02-2020, 10:30 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Drove around Mantua on the way home from Bear Lake this afternoon.  A large part of the lake has a thin layer of ice...with only maybe10% along the west side still open water.  If the breezes don't rip off what is there it shouldn't be too long before it is fishable.  Mantua always caps before Willard...usually about the second week of December.
Thanks for the report Pat, how did the whitefish trip turn out?  I haven't seen a post yet...  Sure seems like a different ice year, we usually had to have a real cold spell set in to lock up Mantua and then it capped quick, but this slow ice progression this year is really different.  I've been watching the ice on the back sloughs off Cutler grow in the shady areas to the point that I probably could fish it now, but it's been a week building from 1.5" to probably 3" now... but if you get out to where the sun hits the ice it's still under 2" and won't hold this fat boy... Two more work days and I'll give it a try, unless I can sneak up after work... Later Jeff
(12-03-2020, 01:23 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 10:30 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Drove around Mantua on the way home from Bear Lake this afternoon.  A large part of the lake has a thin layer of ice...with only maybe10% along the west side still open water.  If the breezes don't rip off what is there it shouldn't be too long before it is fishable.  Mantua always caps before Willard...usually about the second week of December.
Thanks for the report Pat, how did the whitefish trip turn out? 
Not much to report.  Only got in a couple of hours on the water before those east winds came up and blew us off the water.  Anchor wouldn't hold and a lot of bouncing.  BUT...we did catch some whitefish...and one cutt.  The fact that we caught fish on a spot that did not hold any on Monday may show that the fish are moving in now.  Oh, and I had ice in my guides all the time...at 15 degrees...so I guess this qualifies as an ice report.
(12-02-2020, 06:51 PM)bhallows Wrote: Any updates on Scofield?

Thanks

There's 3.5in in the dam arm and it is getting fished, not sure about the rest of the lake. Be safe & prepared on 1st ice and don't go alone.
(12-03-2020, 01:46 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 01:23 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
Thanks for the report Pat, how did the whitefish trip turn out? 
Not much to report.  Only got in a couple of hours on the water before those east winds came up and blew us off the water.  Anchor wouldn't hold and a lot of bouncing.  BUT...we did catch some whitefish...and one cutt.  The fact that we caught fish on a spot that did not hold any on Monday may show that the fish are moving in now.  Oh, and I had ice in my guides all the time...at 15 degrees...so I guess this qualifies as an ice report.
That is the tough part of that whitefishing  that dang wind really ruins a full day trip...  And I'll call it an ice report for sure, ya know I've been way colder doing the white fish trip than I ever get fishing on the ice... It's a cold excursion for sure... Glad you were able to get a few in the boat before the wind ruined the rest of the day... Thanks for that update... Jeff
Drove by Mantua, caped this morning by noon I could see some open water, unsure on thickness, not a soul out there. Not much help but with the warm weather I think it'll be a while...
(12-03-2020, 11:35 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Drove by Mantua,  caped this morning by noon I could see some open water,  unsure on thickness, not a soul out there.  Not much help but with the warm weather I think it'll be a while...

Sure hope you’re not right
Echo is almost capped. I drove by this afternoon on my way to work and saw that. I am gonna say 2 weeks until safe ice in my book. I dont get on unless it has at least 4 inches. No fish is worth going through the ice. I have not had that happen and I don't plan on it anytime soon. My two cents.
Gabe
(12-04-2020, 01:55 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Echo is almost capped. I drove by this afternoon on my way to work and saw that. I am gonna say 2 weeks until safe ice in my book. I dont get on unless it has at least 4 inches. No fish is worth going through the ice. I have not had that happen and I don't plan on it anytime soon. My two cents.
Gabe

I drove by it too. Yesterday the cap busted all up in the wind. I am also not in a hurry to get wet. I can play parchessie and eat chex mix while I wait for it.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
x2 on the chex mix. I have it from a reliable source that there is 2" ice on Mantua, and that some brave souls were fishing it. Quite a way from being thick enough for me. I always miss out on the early season bite there because I insist on 4". Seems a lot of people start fishing it when it gets to 3-3.5".

(12-03-2020, 11:35 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Drove by Mantua,  caped this morning by noon I could see some open water,  unsure on thickness, not a soul out there.  Not much help but with the warm weather I think it'll be a while...
I got curious and looked up a formula for this.  Every year I'm bouncing in my chair at this point, thinking it'll be time any MINUTE now.  I'm sure reality will vary with solar exposure and latitude, moving water, or warm springs, etc. but the formula is science-based.

For instance, I remember once hand drilling a dozen holes through 16" of ice in a shaded gully at the Gorge, reporting so on BFT, and getting flamed like a criminal for NOT warning people that the Confluence wasn't frozen over.   So, don't stake your life on JUST the math here.

Once a lake as capped with ice which doesn't melt off during the day.....Add the high and low temp over 24 hours and divide by two. Take that number and subtract from 32 F.   Divide that number by 15.  That's how much ice will form in that 24 hours. 

So, today at Mantua, the high should be 38 and the low is 15.  (38+15) / 2=26.5.  32-2.5= 5.5  5.5/15= 0.367   Barring a warm wind, etc...the lake will add about 3/8" of new ice thickness in 24 hours. 

Tomorrow, warmer.  39 +17 averages to 28, 32 - 28 = 4.  4/15=0.267, so barely more than a quarter of an inch.
I mean... im not good at math and stuff but!!! To me colder weather=more ice ?
(12-04-2020, 06:23 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I mean... im not good at math and stuff but!!! To me colder weather=more ice ?

Well, yes.  I'm not a math-brain either, but this is 4th grade level, so I thought I might tackle it.  Gives me an idea if I should try it this week or next.
I'm gonna go join the crowd at Scofield tomorrow I think, 3.5" jigs tipped with a chunk of yuba carp for a tiger trout worthy of the contest
I've gotten reports that the ice is 6-7 inches thick at Madsen Bay.

Bump to move this thread to the top.