Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowdog information
So me and a buddy are finally going to pull the trigger. We think we have decided on the reverse model.

Has anyone purchased one recently? If so did they give you good pricing? Or just price that is on Snowdog website?

Looks like the only dealer in Utah is in Orem. Has anyone seen anything different than that?

We are considering 2 of the sleds and maybe the handle bar mits and a seat for one of the sleds.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and happy fishing to all.
I am wondering how much they weigh. Anyone know? Why might they be better than snowmobiles?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

From what I gather, they are easier to transport than a snowmobile. I have been hoping to see one out on the ice and chat with the owners, but hasn't happened yet.

I've seen that @dubob and @BURLEY have purchased them, but don't think they've had them out yet.
True that I haven't had mine out yet. Soon I hope. 
The larger machine with the 13.5 hp motor w/reverse weighs 330lbs.. It will fit in the bed of my Silverado shortbed (5'9") with room beside it for the sled to ride flat. It is 60" long x 28" wide and could be carried on some hitch mount wheelchair carriers.

The only local dealer is in Orem and there is no coupons or discounts.

Once the ice is thick, I would entertain a show and tell. I know several people are wondering about them. 
Easy transport, good hauling power, light weight, no trailer needed, NO YEARLY TAXES, heck of a conversation starter. I hope I like it as much as I believe I will. I just don't have room to park a trailer for a snowmobile.
Instead of buying a second sled from them at $200 I used my Shappel jet sled and made a hitch for it.
You might want to check this thread about linking sleds for options on hitches. https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1096595
Stay with the snowdog sled for the first sled because it has thick wear bars that also act as stabilizing rudders when you are cornering to keep the sled from sliding sideways out from under you during turns.IMO
Good fishing to all.   Hue
What BURLEY said!
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I had one.  This would have been the third season with it.  I sold it about a month ago.  
Great little machines.  Just some things I learned.  Take it for what it’s worth.  

- stud the track.  Huge difference
- Always, always, always, keep the throttle oiled.  
- if you didn’t get the sled along with it.  Make sure to put runners on the back of your tow sled.  Absolutely required
- the best transport for me was a heavy duty hitch carrier.  Best way by far for me.  

Hope you enjoy yours.
(12-08-2020, 05:32 PM)JBSPARKIE Wrote: So me and a buddy are finally going to pull the trigger. We think we have decided on the reverse model.

Has anyone purchased one recently? If so did they give you good pricing? Or just price that is on Snowdog website?

Looks like the only dealer in Utah is in Orem. Has anyone seen anything different than that?

We are considering 2 of the sleds and maybe the handle bar mits and a seat for one of the sleds.

I got the 13.5 w/reverse just before last season. I really like it. I would recommend the snowdog sled. It is built to link to other sleds.  There is a metal frame that supports the load. I actually run 3 SD sleds + a jet sled or flip. I can easily pull out myself, 2 passengers, 4th sled and gear. I put studs in the track. Used 5/8ths kold Kutters, in a V pattern. I also got 2 of the swivel padded seats. I did not like driving while sitting, but they are great for a passenger. I have the extra one that I would sell for half price ($100) if you are interested. Never been on a sled or used. I wouldn’t recommend getting more than one seat, the sleds don’t stack if you do and take up too much room, and it’s not bad to just sit on a bucket. Pm me if your interested in that seat. 

As to why a snowdog over a snowmobile. It was simple. I don’t love pulling and parking a trailer in the winter and I have no place to store a snow machine. I just needed transportation, not speed. The snowdog fits my bill.
(12-08-2020, 05:32 PM)JBSPARKIE Wrote: So me and a buddy are finally going to pull the trigger. We think we have decided on the reverse model.

Used mine for two seasons now.  I bought the bigger one with the reverse,  which I would advise buying.  The dealer was in Murray
then.   No deals, just paid the price.
Snowmobiles go faster but they are a lot bigger and they get stuck badly.   I've never had the Snowdog not be able to climb
out of the hole it was in.  I just step out off the sled and help it a little.  They can climb about anything, I don't even use a ramp
to put it in the trailer, it just climbs right in.
Studding the track would be nice if you're on smooth ice, because they don't a lot of weight for traction.
I sit on a square Igloo cooler in the sled.  Fits just right, is just the right height for handle bar controls and you can put a lot of
stuff inside and it doesn't freeze.
Normally I pull three sleds, besides the one rigidly attached to the Snowdog, with the other fishermen sitting in their sled.   I use
a long strap, probably 35 feet, with a super heavy duty bungee cord I made for a shock absorber going to the first towed sled.
That sled also has a quick disconnect that the rider can pull,  should I go through the ice.  You just never know, but you'll lose
everything and everybody if you're close and can't disconnect.
Staying farther back also keeps the following sled from getting caked by powder snow.
About the only thing that I don't like is that the engine won't start without choking when cold.  Mine doesn't have a handle bar
cable, so I have to get off, choke it, and then get off again to unchoke the engine after going a short distance.  Maybe a remote choke would be an option now.
Haven't heard about all the licensing requirements for a Snowdog yet.  As far as I know nothing is required in Utah. Wyoming didn't know and didn't know what a Snowdog was, but the fish and game officer was really interested in it.  Idaho requires a snowmobile sticker.
At my age I figured that if I was going to continue ice fishing I needed help. With my wife fishing with me we needed some extra gear for comfort. So! last season we bought one and do not regret it one bit, it was the snow dog or stay home and think  about how it used to be.

I'll start putting studs on to day. I had a few fish tales last year that brought me to my sences. Ya, if you are running on ice with minimal to no snow I recommend them.

rj
It is necessary to choke them when starting, but my new 13.5 w/R has the choke on the handle bar via cable. Standard equipment. There is no system for charging the battery, so you have the maintain charge with home charger.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I own a 13.5 standard with reverse. The reverse is definitely a must. It does not have a neutral or free spool so pushing it or pulling it is pretty labor intensive. I prefer to sit while riding so the seat was a must for me. The seat however is a PIA to get on and off so I leave it on. I transport it on a hitch rack with my sleds loaded in the back of a van. I have the snow dog sled then run a dog sled style sled behind that. That way I can have a rider standing on the back watching over the gear. He can also help steer the rear and jump on and off with ease. I do have the handle bar mitts as well. The only down side to those is bumbling around for the controls until you are familiar with there location.
[Image: Resized952020120595124839.jpg]
How fast do they go? I don't need to go fast, was just wondering.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-09-2020, 06:02 PM)catchinon Wrote: How fast do they go? I don't need to go fast, was just wondering.
About 20 mph top end is what the website says.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thank you all for your replies. We pulled the trigger on the standard 13/with reverse in green camo. They are saying it will be here Friday. I'll report back on my experiences.

Thanks again.