Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any info on Chicken Creek @ Strawberry?
Has anyone driven past Strawberry that can provide an ice update? Chicken Creek seems to usually be one of the first safe spots to freeze over.

Thanks!
Last post on this thread, I'm sure its good to go in mudcreek but have not verified that myself so check as you go and be prepared

https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1096669
fished chix creek east a week ago today with my old man and his crew
we were able to launch by driving down the shore towards west
bout 1/2  that bay was frozen
was able to ram the hog thru it so id say unsupportable a week ago
lit em up pretty good with every craft over a dozen in the net
and 1 with 2 doz
them cats throw buggers and white polar leeches
i like bigger junk and gots em good with a smaller sex dungeon and they crushed the rainbow baby gonga hard
a few + sized slot buster cutts and ended up with 4 bows for my bros big green egg smoker
[Image: 1209200951a_HDR.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: SavedImage_1209200956b_(1).jpg?width=192...fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_1855_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: SavedImage_1209201159e.jpg?width=1920&he...fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_1876.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: SavedImage_1209201124h.jpg?width=1920&he...fit=bounds]
[Image: SavedImage_1209201510b.jpg?width=1920&he...fit=bounds]
those guys slow troll 2 sticks and double up a bit i got most of mine throwing off the edge of the ice and stripping in
a few trolling but i dont git the strip sets with both hand on the propulsion sticks

[Image: SavedImage_1209201252h.jpg?width=1920&he...fit=bounds]
even if my dog was unimpressed
[Image: 1209201112c.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
this was an awesome day
my 88 yo pops had heart surgery and a stint placed in his artery the week or so before so it was the first day the docs told him he could fish
and i havent fished with him as much as i like this interesting summer
it was also my 1 and only trip to the berry this summer
which is odd as when i showed up in 96 with grandpas pontiac sunbird, little to non double haul line tossing skills and a bucks bag belly boat , hodgeman neopremes 1 cheap flyflinging pole with grandpas south bend real o matic and a dozen flies instead of hundreds
it was my go to
berry xmass and god bless us one and all is what the tiny tim kid said
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Wow!
Hope I'm still able at 88. That's impressive.
I drove up there yesterday afternoon to scout it out.  Mud creek has maybe 150-200 yards from the back of the bay before hitting open water.  Ice is good 4-6 inches (didn't have measuring tape).  A few people fishing, not real fast according to most everyone.

Drove by Chicken Creek west, maybe 25-50 yards there.  Didn't go any further down the road.  For the most part, the lake is still open water from my limited view.

Did catch a nice Cutt, 1st of the ice fishing season which always feels good.
Thanks fishskibum for the report and conrgats on the successful outing!

Thanks bigenmac for the updated ice report! Can't wait to get up on the hard deck!
Drove by it today, east Chicken has a small amount of what looks like cloudy ice on the shore below the bathroom, west chicken has ice out into the bay with snow from this am on it, didn’t see anybody down there and based on the other ice it’s probably not ready, wind and waves were blowing into the coves from the main part of the lake