Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice camping prep & set up
With Jeff posting his 1st ice camping trip I thought this may help some with Ice camping. This is the way I prep for the season and the 2nd video is when I got to the ice and set up. Enjoy  Smile

Part 2

Sorry the 1st video is a little long had lots to cover, 2nd one is much shorter
Hey Matt great videos. It takes some work to get ice ready and I appreciate all the shortcuts you helped me take so I didn’t have to go through all the failure steps. So many issues with condensate and such that you helped me avoid by going with the insulated shelter and having a foam floor cover really was great in the morning so you didn’t have a swimming pool waiting for you. Putting the heaters up on a crate so it doesn’t melt more ice than necessary just a lot of issues you worked through that may not come across in the video, but they make for a great first trip when practiced. I was glad my only real issues were with being over prepared. Don’t know if I mentioned but my Nanook ended up being filled with gear and so it wasn’t available to fish out of like I planned. But I think I’ll fix that next time by taking less stuff and moving it back to the Smitty where I usually carry it. I ended up using the Smitty as my generator sled this trip. Anyway thanks Matt. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!

Added another clip for this X200 setup and fishing. Enjoy
I made a list of things I wanted to update after the first trip and still haven't gotten them done, guess if I'm free I'm going fishing instead of fixing tents.. Most of them deal with electrical re-wiring ideas to make it easier to rechange batteries and keep electronics powered up during longer trips.... Thanks for doing the videos it helps with ideas I forget about between trips... Later Jeff
(01-12-2021, 02:48 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I made a list of things I wanted to update after the first trip and still haven't gotten them done, guess if I'm free I'm going fishing instead of fixing tents.. Most of them deal with electrical re-wiring ideas to make it easier to rechange batteries and keep electronics powered up during longer trips.... Thanks for doing the videos it helps with ideas I forget about between trips... Later Jeff

Not a prob Jeff, totally agree though getting out fishing is the top priority. I usually start prepping stuff just after the normal hunts end so I know I'm ready by the henrys trip. This X200 video series will be a constant change in motion as I build, modify or add new things to the setup. Really just hoping to spark some ideas in other like minded individuals like ourselves. I'm working on a custom fit tarp for the top when we get caught camping in a heavy wet snow fall or just to keep that morning condensation drip off my bed during that 1st hour or so when the sun comes up and hits the tent. Anyone that's ice camped knows what I'm talking about. No matter how good your thermal you still get it sometimes.

[Image: 20210112-090928.jpg]
What model of bubbler are you using? I noticed a couple different Frabril models and some other brands like Bubble Box and Quiet Bubbles.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(01-13-2021, 12:24 AM)BURLEY Wrote: What model of bubbler are you using? I noticed a couple different Frabril models and some other brands like Bubble Box and Quiet Bubbles.

I have a few different kinds. This is my favorite but more expensive

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QFZYLC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BlK.FbFFA5JRM

These also work good and much cheaper

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EYULIS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FmK.Fb18K6GHC

I also have some black and red ones that were cheaper but can't seem to find them on Amazon anymore. I would say they're all similar. Price point was my deciding factor.
Thank you. Wow, what a bunch of gear necessary for a somewhat comfortable overnight trip. I guess that it is not my cup of tea. My old bones enjoy a warm bed at night. Nice that you have plenty of friends to share the experience.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Burley,
You know I was concerned about freezing on the ice camping, but it was some of my better nights sleeping. My wife and in-laws (living with us) all like the house toasty 72-75 degrees and that's too hot for me, so sleeping in 50 degree tents was perfect for me. I had my warm sleeping bag and the combo made for one of the best nights sleep I've had in a while... it's really a lot more comfortable than it sounds... Only issue was the ice cracking all night long and when the cracks were close I could see all the hanging gear swinging like an earth quake... You know your safe on 12" of ice, but just the worry of a pressure ridge choosing your spot to pop up keeps you a little aware... Anyway I know it's not for everyone, but it sure is fun to be able to fish into the night, even though you limit what species will keep active at night... and then being able to start the morning fishing without all the set up details works pretty nice... I'm not as hard core as Matt doing it every other weekend, but on the longer distance trips, I think it will be nice to get at least two days fishing for the drive. Later Jeff
(01-13-2021, 01:50 AM)BURLEY Wrote: Thank you. Wow, what a bunch of gear necessary for a somewhat comfortable overnight trip. I guess that it is not my cup of tea. My old bones enjoy a warm bed at night. Nice that you have plenty of friends to share the experience.

Not a prob Burley, this whole thing came from doing the burbot bashes back in 2010-2015. When we started I used to sleep in my non insulated quickfish3. I had a few cold nights and it didn't take long to upgrade to a 949i. That lasted a couple years in conjunction with hauling a camp trailer on occasion. The group I fish with finally decided we didn't want to haul a camper and just go strictly on the ice for the weekends and we now have insulated flips that we can haul anywhere as long as there's parking room to get the enclosed trailer in. It took half a season to get my bed dialed in to where I sleep just as good as I do at home. At this time we don't fish the burbot bash anymore we just camp and catch them at night for the sport, then when its day time we're out and about chasing after that big Laker everyone wants to catch. Pretty sure we'll be in this mode for the time being. Good thing is our setups are good for any body of water that's got a good hard deck on it. No motel rooms needed or eating out. Just gas money, food, drink and some bait. Splitting it between 3 makes trips very doable and why we're on a mission to make it an every other weekend thing.
As I get out on the ice more and more often, the idea of staying overnight is fast becoming something I'd like to do. Really appreciate the videos and all of the good info.
(01-31-2021, 07:20 PM)TheOtherSide Wrote: As I get out on the ice more and more often, the idea of staying overnight is fast becoming something I'd like to do. Really appreciate the videos and all of the good info.
Just got back from my second ice over nighters and I've got to say I'm enjoying it more and more...  The main thing I found on this trip to the gorge was there were two windows where the fish were biting for me.  From 6-7:30 AM and from 6:00 to 8:30 PM, notice they were both in the dark hours... If I wasn't camping on the ice I would have gotten skunked on this trip...  Had chasers and bumps during the light, but they just wouldn't get ahold of my offering, but in those two windows the fish would pound my lures... In fact i had one break my line and steal my buckshot spoon...  Also had one hit so hard it hurt my hand, but I still missed hooking that one... Anyway the camping is great, the set up and tear down time, is a little longer than I like, but I guess I could take a more spartan approach and help there... but it's pretty nice to have a cozy cabin on the ice with a grill to eat well... Makes for a fun trip... Later Jeff
(01-31-2021, 07:20 PM)TheOtherSide Wrote: As I get out on the ice more and more often, the idea of staying overnight is fast becoming something I'd like to do. Really appreciate the videos and all of the good info.

Not a problem, I'm always happy to get some more feedback on these videos. It took me a few years to figure out how to do this and have a good time. Like Jeff I always seem to take more than needed but in my book I would rather have it and not use then need/want it and not have it. It may sound lazy but the older I get the more I prefer to just relax and fish. When your fishing a lake where you can use 6 rods (gorge) if it cost me a little more for batteries to run bubblers in 6 holes I'm all for it as I'm kicking back while my holes are staying wide open. Yes setting up a camp like this can be a task to those that don't do it often but for me its only maybe an hour or more out of my whole weekend. No setting up/taking down each night to drive to a motel or trailer. One important thing that Jeff mentioned was the fish biting at times where you would not be there if you were not camping out on the ice. I have had times in the middle of the night where I couldn't put the rod down as on every drop the fish were just sitting down there waiting for my jig to get back down. You just never know unless you go  Smile
Nothing like getting woken up by jaw jackers going off or a pack of coyotes howling outside your tent... Also about lost a rod when I dozed off and had something big grab hold and about pull my pole in the hole, luckily my fore rod support point caught my reel and saved the day... the full moon nights on the lakes are pretty awesome too.. Later Jeff
"if it cost me a little more for batteries to run bubblers in 6 holes I'm all for it as I'm kicking back while my holes are staying wide open."

Can you elaborate on running bubblers? I just assumed you had live bait or something when you mentioned it in the video.
Thanks for sharing this. I am headed up Thursday for a practice run on the overnight experience. I am not motorized to get out there so it is all on my Smitty sled I am taking out for the first time. Loved tips you gave here.
(02-01-2021, 10:02 PM)TheOtherSide Wrote: "if it cost me a little more for batteries to run bubblers in 6 holes I'm all for it as I'm kicking back while my holes are staying wide open."

Can you elaborate on running bubblers? I just assumed you had live bait or something when you mentioned it in the video.

Reply #8 has some links to the bubblers I've been using. they are intended for keeping minnows alive but work great to keep holes open also even in crazy wind snow blowing conditions. I made a video of them at the gorge this year also in a pretty good wind

(02-02-2021, 01:33 PM)Stickleback Wrote: Thanks for sharing this. I am headed up Thursday for a practice run on the overnight experience.  I am not motorized to get out there so it is all on my Smitty sled I am taking out for the first time. Loved tips you gave here.

Thanks stickleback, I hope your trip goes as planned. Weather is looking to be a little snowy and windy this weekend up there but that's nothing new for the Gorge  Undecided
Those are really a great set of videos with some great advice. I got a lot of good ideas from them. Thanks for sharing.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Matt really cut my learning curve down, so I didn't have to make near as many mistakes when it came to learning to camp.. Thanks Matt, now I really like the camping deal a whole bunch... Between that and taking the snowmobiles to keep you mobile and get to remote type areas, when the ice conditions allow anyway.... it has really made ice fishing fun like back packing in the summer time... Except it's a lot less work to get there.... Just wish I had more time to do the longer trips... I'm afraid the ice conditions are really starting to deteriorate so our ice season may start to draw to an end before too long... I guess Strawberry will give us a little longer, but that's sure a long drive for me... Anyway my last trip I actually did much better for having exactly what I needed and not too much extra stuff, so the learning curve is going the right direction... In fact the only thing I need to do is figure out a better attach method for the front of my cover so it won't blow off in the wind while I'm pulling it on my trailer... glad i have been putting a strap across the sled, it saved my cover a couple times on the drive... Later Jeff