Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Polar Plunge
I'm the idiot that went through the ice at Mantua. I was pulling my sled out to go fishing and the ice was fine and then it wasn't. Nobody is sure how long it took to rescue me, but at least 20 minutes or a little over 30 minutes. Sorry, I forgot to check my watch. Mantua PD and a highway patrolman pulled me out, but the  Chief ended up in the water, just wearing his duty uniform. After a night in the hospital and way too many tests, I'm home and fine.  Lessons learned. Never go by yourself. I was lucky because another fisherman showed up 5 or 10 minutes after I fell in. He called 911.  Don't wear a harness to pull your sled. At some point, my pullover sled sunk. I couldn't get out of the harness and the added weight dang near killed me. Don't panic. The one thing I did right was not panic.  When I went in, I thought "shucks, this isn't good".  If you panic and struggle you'll only use up your limited energy reserves. Finally, practice risk analysis. I've got $3000 in ice fishing gear lost in the lake. Guessing the hospital and rescue bill will be $10K or more.  Just how much is a perch dinner worth? What's the price you put on your own life? Personally, my ice fishing days are done. When you go, please be prepared and careful.

https://www.abc4.com/news/utah-man-falls...ng-rescue/

Finally, the Mantua PD had a well earned bad reputation. Today, they've got a new Chief and new officers. The town can't afford rescue gear so I've started a GoFundMe to buy them equipment.

https://gf.me/u/zc26qw
Wow Larry, so sorry to hear that and glad that you lived to fish another day.
Dude I can't believe it was you that went in... You're pretty ice smart... We better all take this as a warning to be extremely careful... Larry you've been an ice fisherman for as long as I've known you and have done a ton of ice fishing... I did not expect this to be someone that I consider an ice expert... I figured it was someone that didn't know ice very well and wandered into a spring or something... Do you have any idea what happened? Why was the ice weak where you fell through, any ideas? Did you happen to be probing with a spud, or did you assume with the numbers of fishermen on the ice that it must be fine? I don't know what it is about Mantua, but that pond always freaks me out for it's ice conditions... I guess because I usually fish it first ice and it has those thin spots from springs or bubblers, but now I'm really concerned about trying it this year...

Hey I'm sure glad you are okay, did you have picks on to help you get out? I heard the harness and sled weighted you down and wouldn't let you get out, guess being able to get free of your sled is a good thing... Sorry to hear you lost your gear and you're going to give up on the ice, but I don't blame you after that close of a call... Thanks for letting us know, I think that will make all of us pay a little more attention to what we're doing when we go out.. Best of luck on your recovery... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-17-2020, 02:20 PM)FatBiker Wrote: I'm the idiot that went through the ice at Mantua. I was pulling my sled out to go fishing and the ice was fine and then it wasn't. Nobody is sure how long it took to rescue me, but at least 20 minutes or a little over 30 minutes. Sorry, I forgot to check my watch. Mantua PD and a highway patrolman pulled me out, but the  Chief ended up in the water, just wearing his duty uniform. After a night in the hospital and way too many tests, I'm home and fine.  Lessons learned. Never go by yourself. I was lucky because another fisherman showed up 5 or 10 minutes after I fell in. He called 911.  Don't wear a harness to pull your sled. At some point, my pullover sled sunk. I couldn't get out of the harness and the added weight dang near killed me. Don't panic. The one thing I did right was not panic.  When I went in, I thought "shucks, this isn't good".  If you panic and struggle you'll only use up your limited energy reserves. Finally, practice risk analysis. I've got $3000 in ice fishing gear lost in the lake. Guessing the hospital and rescue bill will be $10K or more.  Just how much is a perch dinner worth? What's the price you put on your own life? Personally, my ice fishing days are done. When you go, please be prepared and careful.

Finally, the Mantua PD had a well earned bad reputation. Today, they've got a new Chief and new officers. The town can't afford rescue gear so I've started a GoFundMe to buy them equipment.

Wow glad you are safe. You hear about somebody being rescued but you usually dont hear much of a follow up. Scary stuff. I am 70 years old and do go by myself frequently. Your story is food for thought. Again happy you are safe
Larry,  hey man SO GLAD they got to you and you aren't any worse for wear.  Saw the youtube video, you were very lucky my friend. 

Have a good, SAFE and healthy Christmas.   
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Saw your lovely face on TV last night (behind a mask).  Really gave me a jolt.  Glad you were able to make it out and that you are still among us.

I went through the ice on Layton (Company) Pond many years ago.  Fortunately I was able to throw myself backward as I felt the ice giving way.  And I was with a savvy fishing buddy who immediately flattened himself out on the ice behind me...extended the handle of a hand auger for me to grab and was able to pull me away from the hole.  I have relived that many times over the years.  Had I been alone I would probably have suffered more than a little water in my left boot.

Like yourself, we were hitting the ice early in the season.  Test holes closer to shore had over 4" of ice.  But there were spots with far less and I found one.  Since then I have never gone on early ice.  Unless there is safe ice over the whole lake I don't go.  In fact, I don't go ice fishing at all anymore...but that is more a matter of physical ability than fear of thin ice.

Again, glad you made it okay.  Now we wait for open water.
Thanks for being humble enough to post on here to provide a warning and sound advice for all other ice fisherman. I'm glad you were rescued and gave a pat on the back to the new police department and have even started a go-fund me account for future rescues. You're a good man!
Holy carp, Larry! I'm glad you'll be able to use Hobie-Maru again when its open water time.

I gave up ice fishing a year before I decided to sell the kayak - and for much the same reason. As hardy as I may feel, being out there alone is not a good plan for a 74-yo man.
(12-17-2020, 02:55 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Dude I can't believe it was you that went in... You're pretty ice smart... We better all take this as a warning to be extremely careful... Larry you've been an ice fisherman for as long as I've known you and have done a ton of ice fishing... I did not expect this to be someone that I consider an ice expert...  I figured it was someone that didn't know ice very well and wandered into a spring or something...  Do you have any idea what happened?  Why was the ice weak where you fell through, any ideas?  Did you happen to be probing  with a spud, or did you assume with the numbers of fishermen on the ice that it must be fine?  I don't know what it is about Mantua, but that pond always freaks me out for it's ice conditions... I guess because I usually fish it first ice and it has those thin spots from springs or bubblers, but now I'm really concerned about trying it this year... 

Hey I'm sure glad you are okay, did you have picks on to help you get out?  I heard the harness and sled weighted you down and wouldn't let you get out, guess being able to get free of your sled is a good thing...  Sorry to hear you lost your gear and you're going to give up on the ice, but I don't blame you after that close of a call...  Thanks for letting us know, I think that will make all of us pay a little more attention to what we're doing when we go out..  Best of luck on your recovery... Jeff
Jeff. Started out at the stairs midway on the south dike.  Reports, including my brother this weekend, were all about good ice.  I could see where test holes were drilled and did one 100 ft out. Good solid ice guessing 5 inches thick. Continued on to my normal honey hole and saw a small patch of open water . Swing way west to avoid it. Should have drilled more test holes. Walking along and no cracking or indications of weakness. Boom, I was in and had to figure out how to get out. Luckily, I didn't panic and I knew another fisherman was about to come out.  Absolutely my own fault. Extremely fortunate that it was a rescue and not a recovery. 66 years old so it's time to focus on cross country skiing and wait for spring before more fishing.

(12-17-2020, 04:16 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Holy carp, Larry! I'm glad you'll be able to use Hobie-Maru again when its open water time.

I gave up ice fishing a year before I decided to sell the kayak - and for much the same reason. As hardy as I may feel, being out there alone is not a good plan for a 74-yo man.
Rocky, if it wasn't for the corona virus, the SS Rocky would be on a trailer headed to Louisiana behind my motor home in a few weeks. Always did want to catch reds on a flyrod. Maybe next winter.
(12-17-2020, 03:54 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Saw your lovely face on TV last night (behind a mask).  Really gave me a jolt.  Glad you were able to make it out and that you are still among us.

I went through the ice on Layton (Company) Pond many years ago.  Fortunately I was able to throw myself backward as I felt the ice giving way.  And I was with a savvy fishing buddy who immediately flattened himself out on the ice behind me...extended the handle of a hand auger for me to grab and was able to pull me away from the hole.  I have relived that many times over the years.  Had I been alone I would probably have suffered more than a little water in my left boot.

Like yourself, we were hitting the ice early in the season.  Test holes closer to shore had over 4" of ice.  But there were spots with far less and I found one.  Since then I have never gone on early ice.  Unless there is safe ice over the whole lake I don't go.  In fact, I don't go ice fishing at all anymore...but that is more a matter of physical ability than fear of thin ice.

Again, glad you made it okay.  Now we wait for open water.
Company Pond,one of my favorite places to ice fish back in 70s and 80s until F&G ruined it.

(12-17-2020, 02:20 PM)FatBiker Wrote: I'm the idiot that went through the ice at Mantua. I was pulling my sled out to go fishing and the ice was fine and then it wasn't. Nobody is sure how long it took to rescue me, but at least 20 minutes or a little over 30 minutes. Sorry, I forgot to check my watch. Mantua PD and a highway patrolman pulled me out, but the  Chief ended up in the water, just wearing his duty uniform. After a night in the hospital and way too many tests, I'm home and fine.  Lessons learned. Never go by yourself. I was lucky because another fisherman showed up 5 or 10 minutes after I fell in. He called 911.  Don't wear a harness to pull your sled. At some point, my pullover sled sunk. I couldn't get out of the harness and the added weight dang near killed me. Don't panic. The one thing I did right was not panic.  When I went in, I thought "shucks, this isn't good".  If you panic and struggle you'll only use up your limited energy reserves. Finally, practice risk analysis. I've got $3000 in ice fishing gear lost in the lake. Guessing the hospital and rescue bill will be $10K or more.  Just how much is a perch dinner worth? What's the price you put on your own life? Personally, my ice fishing days are done. When you go, please be prepared and careful.

You are one lucky fella, shows you are living right.
Sure glad you are OK Larry. Your dog sure was desperate to get out of the water, at your expense unfortunately, looked like some deep scratch wounds you got on your face, hope they heal up.

Live and learn,glad it turned out ok.We have all done stupid things don’t be too hard on yourself.
Man that is spooky. I'm so glad you are fine and i applaud you for starting the GF account to help get the FD up there the proper gear. I can testify that having the correct equipment saves lives! Have a Merry Christmas
I've been through the ice twice on Bear Lake and its scary. I ALWAYS have and ALWAYS will wear ice-picks around my neck and I used them both times to get myself out of the water.  They are cheap and I can't believe anyone would go on the ice without them.  I also NEVER tie myself (harness or just a rope) to my sled.  That is the last thing I would want following me into an ice hole.
That is the worst, usually with new black ice you get some cracking and sagging ice before it breaks...  That stuff that dumps you before you even know you're in trouble, that's the stuff that makes me lose sleep at night...  So glad it turned out  so you are safe... I still need to join you for the Willard fly tutorial so really glad we'll get the second chance to do that...  I love early ice, but your story is sure working on me....  Thanks for passing on the rest of the story, it sure has more impact with me... Merry Christmas... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-17-2020, 06:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sure glad you are OK Larry. Your dog sure was desperate to get out of the water, at your expense unfortunately, looked like some deep scratch wounds you got on your face, hope they heal up.
She was scared to death. She'd crawl on my back and the ice I was clinging to would break and both of us would go under the water. Guessing it happened a half dozen times. Scratches and ego will both heal.
Larry so glad you survived that. Gotta stop scaring us like that. Were not done with you just yet. The gear can be replaced ,but you cant. Glad your dog made it out too. I had a close call  some years ago and that was enough of the ice for me. Come on spring!!
(12-17-2020, 09:33 PM)lee! Wrote: Larry so glad you survived that. Gotta stop scaring us like that. Were not done with you just yet. The gear can be replaced ,but you cant. Glad your dog made it out too. I had a close call  some years ago and that was enough of the ice for me. Come on spring!!
Thanks, but that gear won't be replaced. Been going through remaining ice fishing gear and preparing to sell it.  Can't use any of it in my tube or kayak.
sheese, Glad you made it. I've been there, done that.
That is why I suggest everyone WEAR a PFD or floatation suit and drag their own rope along behind them.
Good suggestion on not using a harness.
Not to flog but never ever go alone. Not even in the spring and summer. We geezers are getting to where anything could happen. I've already had 2 strokes so I don't fish alone anymore, can't chance it.

Sorry about the gear, I imagine you had electronics and all that but life is more important. Sorry about the hospital bills, don't get me started on that subject. My stroke cost me $171K and I had good insurance. About wiped out my retirement fun fund.
Anyway, glad you were able to post this.
Man Larry, so glad you made it and are willing to tell your story. I think everyone (or maybe just me) assumed it was a rookie or someone inexperienced that went through. Hearing that it happened to someone that has been there enough to have a honey hole hits the brain a little harder. I’m not sure of your history with that pond, but willing to bet you’ve been going there for awhile now. Best of luck to you and any necessary recovery.