Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smith and Morehouse ice fishing questions
They have been planting arctic grayling, since 2012, and they have been planting kokanee, since 2015, in Smith and Morehouse.  I think it would be a fun ice fishing destination to try and catch those two species (especially grayling through the ice).  If I can talk one or two of my buddies, who have a snowmobile or a Snowdog into joining me, I would like to take a run up there on my snowmobile this winter.  Can anyone tell me if there is a plowed area where one can park trailers, where the road branches off of the main road above Oakley, and heads on up to Smith and Morehouse?  Any other information that one can share about access, or snow drifting, or where to target during the winter, would be appreciated.
One thing I noticed at SM, the grayling are much healthier than the rainbows of the same length.
I was at smith and morehouse today. We parked on a large dirt parking lot before the turnoff to head up to SM. We took a snowmobile up there since the dirt road isn’t maintained. We took our snowmobile down the boat ramp and onto the lake. It was 10+ inches everywhere we dug holes. We started on the far shore of the lake from the road and caught a skinny rainbow and a small Kokanee. There wasn’t much activity, so we moved toward the dam. No luck in five holes there. We moved to the road side shore and pull 2 rainbows out before deciding to head back to spot one. It seems like that lake is ~30 ft deep everywhere.

It was pretty slow with not a lot of fish marked, but once the sun came out we saw multiple schools of Kokanee come out and they were hungry. We would pull 3-5 Kokanee out of a school before they move on. Average size was maybe 11 inches. They were biting multiple things but we had the most luck on a pink jig head or a perch colored spoon with a meal/wax worm on it.

On the way out we saw a few trucks driving up. They have more confidence driving in snow than I do. We didn’t have any luck with Grayling. If you have any specifics I’d be glad to try and answer them.

[Image: 34-C2-DC9-A-FBC5-474-F-B8-EE-484-C1-BE172-A9.jpg]

[Image: C709-FE46-55-B0-44-BC-8-FB7-9-E50-AB39-BA06.jpg]
Kent, we are working on getting a snowmobile this year and would be interesting in going along if you want some more company. If we went soon enough I could probably make it in my pickup. Let me know if you are interested.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

So R4B, How many kokanee did you end up with?
(12-19-2020, 03:29 PM)brookie Wrote: So R4B, How many kokanee did you end up with?

We caught about 12 total, all roughly the same size as the picture.
(12-19-2020, 06:08 AM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: I was at smith and morehouse today. We parked on a large dirt parking lot before the turnoff to head up to SM. We took a snowmobile up there since the dirt road isn’t maintained. We took our snowmobile down the boat ramp and onto the lake. It was 10+ inches everywhere we dug holes. We started on the far shore of the lake from the road and caught a skinny rainbow and a small Kokanee. There wasn’t much activity, so we moved toward the dam. No luck in five holes there. We moved to the road side shore and pull 2 rainbows out before deciding to head back to spot one. It seems like that lake is ~30 ft deep everywhere.

It was pretty slow with not a lot of fish marked, but once the sun came out we saw multiple schools of Kokanee come out and they were hungry. We would pull 3-5 Kokanee out of a school before they move on. Average size was maybe 11 inches. They were biting multiple things but we had the most luck on a pink jig head or a perch colored spoon with a meal/wax worm on it.

On the way out we saw a few trucks driving up. They have more confidence driving in snow than I do. We didn’t have any luck with Grayling. If you have any specifics I’d be glad to try and answer them.
Thanks, that is the information I was looking for.  Remind me how far off the main road to reach S & M (my recollection is ~ 2 miles)?  Picked up my snowmobile, from my sister's in Payson, so after picking up my new-to-me boat trailer I will be good to go.
How deep was the snow?
I know someone who would be interested
(12-19-2020, 03:46 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: They have been planting arctic grayling, since 2012, and they have been planting kokanee, since 2015, in Smith and Morehouse.  I think it would be a fun ice fishing destination to try and catch those two species (especially grayling through the ice).  If I can talk one or two of my buddies, who have a snowmobile or a Snowdog into joining me, I would like to take a run up there on my snowmobile this winter.  Can anyone tell me if there is a plowed area where one can park trailers, where the road branches off of the main road above Oakley, and heads on up to Smith and Morehouse?  Any other information that one can share about access, or snow drifting, or where to target during the winter, would be appreciated.
Kent... if you pick the right day, I would enjoy going with you.  I have reworked my sled I pull behind my snowmobile and mounted it on ski's.  Not top heavy any more and I don't have that flat bottomed sled to create drag to bog me down.  The trip could not be anymore of a disaster than the last one we went on.  I learned something that day, get some mini snow shoes like you have.  I don't visit this site too much yet as the ice season is just getting started.
(12-20-2020, 02:07 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: How deep was the snow?

It was about 2-3 inches of fresh snow on Friday both on the road and lake. Not sure if it had changed since.
(12-19-2020, 09:34 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Remind me how far off the main road to reach S & M (my recollection is ~ 2 miles)?
Your recollection is spot on - just a tad over 2 miles.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I'm glad to hear that several are interested and I picked up my snowmobile yesterday, so I will definitely make it happen. Sorry, but there is no way that I can pick a day that will work for everyone. I will probably pick a day and post a general invite on here, so check back.
We have decided to fish Smith and Morehouse on Wednesday December 30th. Anyone who has a snowmobile, ATV, Snowdog, or wants a long hike is welcome to show up and join us.
(12-25-2020, 01:34 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: We have decided to fish Smith and Morehouse on Wednesday December 30th.  Anyone who has a snowmobile, ATV, Snowdog, or wants a long hike is welcome to show up and join us.
I'm pretty sure I can make it that day.  I'll be showing off my new SnowDog to one and all.

I checked the Weather Underground forecast for Oakley, UT and the prediction is COLD.  ?

Partly cloudy all day with a single digit arrival temp in the morning and mid 20s for the high.  More snow on the way both Saturday & Monday, so driving the last 2 miles into the lake in your truck may not be possible.

All we need now is to schedule a meet time if a group travel is desired going in to the lake.  Or is it just show up when you want.  Since I'm brand new to the SnowDog contraption, I'd prefer to travel in with others just in case I screw something up.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
We plan on being at the parking lot, at the turn off to Smith and Morehouse, at about 7:00 AM.
(12-26-2020, 12:51 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: We plan on being at the parking lot, at the turn off to Smith and Morehouse, at about 7:00 AM.

I know a few people who are in that area and might check road conditions for me this weekend. We were thinking of going up on the 28th, but my snowmobiles are still in the shop for minor/general maintenance. If the road is impassible by vehicle, I may try and plan on the Wed. trip, too. Just depends on snowmobiles and/or road conditions.
(12-26-2020, 08:04 PM)TheOtherSide Wrote:
(12-26-2020, 12:51 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: We plan on being at the parking lot, at the turn off to Smith and Morehouse, at about 7:00 AM.

I know a few people who are in that area and might check road conditions for me this weekend. We were thinking of going up on the 28th, but my snowmobiles are still in the shop for minor/general maintenance. If the road is impassible by vehicle, I may try and plan on the Wed. trip, too. Just depends on snowmobiles and/or road conditions.

Would enjoy having you tag along.
I will join the parade. I will bring my new Snowdog also.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(12-28-2020, 01:16 AM)BURLEY Wrote: I will join the parade. I will bring my new Snowdog also.

Glad to hear it.  I watched Adam Eakle's show, where they were catching grayling (probably at Trial Lake) and it sure would be fun to hook into some of those.