Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Quotes
For contemplative fisherfolk who like words...here is a collection of some quotes on fishing.
Two of my favorite quotes I got from Seth Burrill owner of AX Tackle and host of the show Anglers Experience.

“90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen”

he was talking about Stealhead fishing, but I think this applies to many fisheries and my goal is to be part of that 10%. Another truism I often repeat has to do with trolling. Specifically changing speed and direction.

“Nothing in nature swims in a straight line at the same speed all day long”
Some really good ones in there.
(12-20-2020, 06:33 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Two of my favorite quotes I got from Seth Burrill owner of AX Tackle and host of the show Anglers Experience.

“90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen”

he was talking about Stealhead fishing, but I think this applies to many fisheries and my goal is to be part of that 10%. Another truism I often repeat has to do with trolling. Specifically changing speed and direction.

“Nothing in nature swims in a straight line at the same speed all day long”
That "90/10 rule" also has application to a lot of fisheries..."90% of the fish are often in only 10% of the water".

All of those truisms should be taken to heart by anglers who fish in exactly the same spot, the same way on every trip throughout the year.  A good example is the bass angler who pounds the same stretch of shoreline with fast-moving spinnerbaits and crankbaits all the time.  He catches fish in the spring and fall...when the fish are holding and feeding in those areas.  But the rest of the year he catches little or nothing and blames his lack of success on the moon, the stars and DWR.
You mean it's not the DWR's fault?
I like the Rancid Crabtree stuff.

"The two best times to go fishing is when it's raining and when it ain't."

"You can't make fish bite just by wantin' em to."
[colorJohn Gierach
  • “Sure, it was your idea and your fly, but he caught the big fish. ...

• “If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ...

• “Really, the only thing a psychiatrist can do that a good (fishing) guide can't is write prescriptions.”

If you've ever been fortunate to fish with TD, you'd fully appreciate the middle one.
From all the old cabin owners at Clarks Camp at Strawberry.

'Wind from the West the fish bite the best' ......  'Wind from the East the fish bite the least'. 

Amazing how true this held up over the years. My parents had a cabin at Clarks Camp for years.  To this day, if I know the wind will be from the east I never fish Strawberry..