Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview drive-by.
I took a drive up to Pineview today to check out the conditions.  Pineview is open water in most of the Narrows area next to the dam.  Air temp was 28*.  The yacht club protected water is also open at this time.  I drove into the Port Ramp area and there was one truck there.  There is one dock section still in the water and there was one person on the ice about 50 yards out in front of that dock section.  I then drove around to the Browning Point access road to see where it is because I had never used it before.  The opening in the concrete barrier at the end of the road is wide enough to get my SnowDog through but there is very little room to turn a truck & trailer around on that access point.  There were about 10 vehicles parked there and folks could be seen out on the ice several hundred yards out from the shoreline.  Next stop was Cemetery Point.  The large parking lot in front of the cemetery gate is gated closed and un-plowed.  What the &%#*?  There were 4 trucks parked in a very small parking lot just to the South of the cemetery gate and numerous signs along both sides of the road leading out there that say NO ROADSIDE PARKING – VIOLATORS WILL BE TICKETED OR TOWED.  It would seem that some anal opening official doesn’t want us to fish Pineview this season using any type of a motorized machine.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I took a drive up there as well, but didn’t venture out to cemetery point. That’s very disappointing news regarding the gate. Thanks for the update.
Wish I knew the reasoning for the locked gate. It’s been locked for some time now. However, you can still launch your machine from Port Ramp.
(12-27-2020, 05:21 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Wish I knew the reasoning for the locked gate. It’s been locked for some time now. However, you can still launch your machine from Port Ramp.
The Port Ramp isn't plowed at all during the winter.  If we get a foot or more of snow in there, then it becomes problematic to pull a trailer in there.  I haul all my gear in an enclosed trailer.  I think I'll just pass on fishing Pineview.  Not worth the hassle when there are plenty of other venues that produce perch which is my only target fish at Pineview.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
True and valid point. I’m thinking that if it’s the only parking lot, all the trucks driving in and out will keep the snow packed down fairly well. Of course, that’s only true if it only snows a little at a time. One big dump of a storm destroys that theory. Oh well either way. Like you said, there are better more accessible perch waters than PV.
I'm going to do a little digging to see if I can find out why the gate is closed.  If I find out why, I'll let y'all in on it.  Stay tuned.   Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(12-28-2020, 01:56 PM)dubob Wrote: I'm going to do a little digging to see if I can find out why the gate is closed.  If I find out why, I'll let y'all in on it.  Stay tuned.   Smile
 Staying tuned for sure, thanks Bob. There are other places to ice fish for perch but this is just so nice and convenient when you can access it with a trailer, its just so close to home.
It’s taken a bit of research, but I think I’ve talked to all the players in the Pineview Saga.  First and foremost, Pineview is NOT a State Park or State Owned/Controlled area.  It is a Bureau of Reclamation Project that is Operated jointly by the Ogden River Water Users Association and Utah Power & Light Company.  It is managed for recreation by the US Forest Service, Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest, Ogden Ranger District.
The Cemetery Point area is within the incorporated boundary of Huntsville, UT.  They provide snow removal for all public roads within those boundaries.  The parking lot and swim beach area located on the south side of the point adjacent to the Huntsville Cemetery is NOT part of the incorporated area of Huntsville.  That area falls under the jurisdiction of the USFS.  Huntsville has not, does not, and will not plow out that parking lot as it does not fall under their jurisdiction.
It’s not 100% clear to me who has plowed that lot in the past, but it for sure was not the USFS; they do NOT have the equipment to do that.  It was suggested to me by at least one source that the Weber County Road Department may have plowed it in the past.
Now, to the closure this year.  The USFS has not directly managed the recreation activities at Pineview for many years now.  They contract it out to a private company and up until 2020, that company was American Land & Leisure (AL&L).  The contract changed hands in 2020 to a company called Utah Recreation.  As part of the new contract with Utah Recreation, the liability aspects of the management was transferred from the USFS (as it had been under AL&L) to the Utah Recreation.  While Utah Recreation only operates the recreational activities from April/May through Sep/Oct, they are still liable for any mishaps.
Along with that, Utah Recreation doesn't have any personnel on site during the winter months for such things as restroom maintenance.  And neither does the USFS Ogden Ranger District.  So the duties fall to the District Ranger for any facilities left open to accommodate the general public.  And last year, to show their utmost respect for the USFS, the general public vandalized the restrooms beyond belief and used the building as a garbage dump.  This year, the Ogden Ranger District decided that the best course of action would be to permanently close the area (closed & locked gate; unplowed parking lot) to try and prevent any further destruction of public property.  We (the general public) are our own worst enemies.
Along with the vandalism of the Cemetery Point area, the Port Ramp was also vandalized last winter with the destruction of several sections of vinyl fencing.  And the idiots wonder why the government takes a dim view of leaving public facilities unattended while open.  The Port Ramp is programmed to be gated soon to keep the idiots from destroying more of our public facilities.
Well, there you have it.  A handful of ignorant anal openings have closed a public access point that hundreds of folks have been able to enjoy in the past.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thank you for your efforts in gathering all the information and sharing it here. It's disappointing that people treat our public and natural resources like this.
Well that is a Sad state of affairs there for sure. The 1% has done it to us again Sad.
(01-11-2021, 09:36 PM)dubob Wrote: It’s taken a bit of research, but I think I’ve talked to all the players in the Pineview Saga.  First and foremost, Pineview is NOT a State Park or State Owned/Controlled area.  It is a Bureau of Reclamation Project that is Operated jointly by the Ogden River Water Users Association and Utah Power & Light Company.  It is managed for recreation by the US Forest Service, Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest, Ogden Ranger District.
The Cemetery Point area is within the incorporated boundary of Huntsville, UT.  They provide snow removal for all public roads within those boundaries.  The parking lot and swim beach area located on the south side of the point adjacent to the Huntsville Cemetery is NOT part of the incorporated area of Huntsville.  That area falls under the jurisdiction of the USFS.  Huntsville has not, does not, and will not plow out that parking lot as it does not fall under their jurisdiction.
It’s not 100% clear to me who has plowed that lot in the past, but it for sure was not the USFS; they do NOT have the equipment to do that.  It was suggested to me by at least one source that the Weber County Road Department may have plowed it in the past.
Now, to the closure this year.  The USFS has not directly managed the recreation activities at Pineview for many years now.  They contract it out to a private company and up until 2020, that company was American Land & Leisure (AL&L).  The contract changed hands in 2020 to a company called Utah Recreation.  As part of the new contract with Utah Recreation, the liability aspects of the management was transferred from the USFS (as it had been under AL&L) to the Utah Recreation.  While Utah Recreation only operates the recreational activities from April/May through Sep/Oct, they are still liable for any mishaps.
Along with that, Utah Recreation doesn't have any personnel on site during the winter months for such things as restroom maintenance.  And neither does the USFS Ogden Ranger District.  So the duties fall to the District Ranger for any facilities left open to accommodate the general public.  And last year, to show their utmost respect for the USFS, the general public vandalized the restrooms beyond belief and used the building as a garbage dump.  This year, the Ogden Ranger District decided that the best course of action would be to permanently close the area (closed & locked gate; unplowed parking lot) to try and prevent any further destruction of public property.  We (the general public) are our own worst enemies.
Along with the vandalism of the Cemetery Point area, the Port Ramp was also vandalized last winter with the destruction of several sections of vinyl fencing.  And the idiots wonder why the government takes a dim view of leaving public facilities unattended while open.  The Port Ramp is programmed to be gated soon to keep the idiots from destroying more of our public facilities.
Well, there you have it.  A handful of ignorant anal openings have closed a public access point that hundreds of folks have been able to enjoy in the past.
With all the BS thats going on across our once great Nation I can see things we use to enjoy going away.