Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry BFT Randevu
I'm thinking of taking Friday Jan 22 off work and using the Strawberry Shuttle service to head out to the Triangle to target Kokanee and Cutts and thought I would see if we could set up a meet and greet out on the ice where we could show off our toys and techniques especially you guys with Snowdogs, snomobiles and fancy electronics. respond to this post or PM me if your interested in that day or suggest another.
Shawn, I am interested. How much is the shuttle now?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I always put Strawberry off until March when the lower lakes closest to the Wasatch Front start to get real iffy and difficult to get on without 10 foot planks.  Strawberry ice has held up well until the end of March in years past.  We always get 6 or more good trips to Strawberry in March.  But, I hope y'all have fun with it.

Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Hey ObiOneFish --Sounds like a good plan...just may work for me too..keep us posted..
(01-01-2021, 11:44 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I'm thinking of taking Friday Jan 22 off work and using the Strawberry Shuttle service to head out to the Triangle to target Kokanee and Cutts and thought I would see if we could set up a meet and greet out on the ice where we could show off our toys and techniques especially you guys with Snowdogs, snomobiles and fancy electronics. respond to this post or PM me if your interested in that day or suggest another.
That really sounds like a fun time but unfortunately I will be on the gorge that weekend.  Hope things go well. Looking forward to hear how it goes.
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
I'm in. Had a great time last year when we did this. Might caox a friend who has never been ice fishing to come along.
(01-02-2021, 05:48 AM)catchinon Wrote: Shawn, I am interested. How much is the shuttle now?
The shuttle service is $40 but I’m hoping we may get some interest from guys with sleds and snow dogs that would be willing to help shuttle folks for a little gas money. Either way I’ll be prepared as getting away from the crowds and targeting kokes is worth it.
Count me in! I'll bring "Rufus" the Snowdog to play!
(01-05-2021, 02:23 AM)deyoungfisher Wrote: Count me in! I'll bring "Rufus" the Snowdog to play!
Are you guys still planning this trip . As I might take that day off work as well if its a plan . I have a sled and would be happy to shuttle .
(01-12-2021, 02:36 AM)icejunkie Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 02:23 AM)deyoungfisher Wrote: Count me in! I'll bring "Rufus" the Snowdog to play!
Are you guys still planning this trip . As I might take that day off work as well if its a plan . I have a sled and would be happy to shuttle .
Yes we are, if you bring your sled that would make two sleds and a Snow Dog so far, I was thinking that we could meet up at the lake at 7:00am and head out into the Triangle. Now that this is at the top of the board again, I hope some more folks will see it and respond and join us for a fun day, the more the merrier and the more water we can cover in our search for Kokanee.
I'm looking forward to this trip. I'm grateful to those with sleds and dogs that are willing to shuttle guys out on the hard deck.
(01-15-2021, 03:07 PM)smittyts Wrote: I'm looking forward to this trip.  I'm grateful to those with sleds and dogs that are willing to shuttle guys out on the hard deck.
One of my neighbors is in now and wants to bring his 4 seat side by side so, there is more rides for anyone interested. I would suggest that those of us that are being shuttled pay for the Parking of those that are doing the shuttling and maybe a few bucks for gas.
(01-15-2021, 05:12 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 03:07 PM)smittyts Wrote: I'm looking forward to this trip.  I'm grateful to those with sleds and dogs that are willing to shuttle guys out on the hard deck.
One of my neighbors is in now and wants to bring his 4 seat side by side so, there is more rides for anyone interested. I would suggest that those of us that are being shuttled pay for the Parking of those that are doing the shuttling and maybe a few bucks for gas.
Are you meeting at the marina or somewhere else .I ll be there with a sled .
(01-18-2021, 03:18 AM)icejunkie Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 05:12 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
Are you meeting at the marina or somewhere else .I ll be there with a sled .
Yes the Marina 7:00am
I'll be there and will ride out with EyLayo. I guess everyone will be trying for kokes and trout? It might be good to share what we might want to bring along for the kokes. I have what I think is some very basic koke tackle and maybe could pick more up before I go. Any ideas, anyone?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

So how did this turn out?
(01-18-2021, 01:46 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: So how did this turn out?
Has not happened yet, its going to be this Friday the 22nd.come on out.
(01-18-2021, 04:36 AM)catchinon Wrote: I'll be there and will ride out with EyLayo. I guess everyone will be trying for kokes and trout? It might be good to share what we might want to bring along for the kokes. I have what I think is some very basic koke tackle and maybe could pick more up before I go. Any ideas, anyone?
Not a bad idea Craig, here are some pictures on what I’m planning to try. These are all things I have caught Kokanee on through the ice. First is a sling blade with a pink Ratso on a 12-18” leader under it, next is a Swedish pimple, after that is a Kastmaster with the split rings and hook removed with a Gizzy bug on an 8-12” dropper then we have scents and bait, gulp maggots, your favorite corn concoction and meal worms are my go to as far as scent, use what you like, I’ve been using Mikes trout scent all winter with success not pictured is Mikes Kokanee scent it’s white and smells like candy love it. The last picture is my all time favorite Maniac Gitzilla, that catches everything trout, Kokanee even perch I’m planning on using it if and when I get frustrated targeting Kokes and go after trout.

Attached Files Image(s)

I hooked the one koke on Friday with an orange ratso 12” leader below a RMT Hyperplaid sling blade and had hits on a chartreuse/orange jig from Christensen tackle, all tipped with a piece of crawler
(01-18-2021, 05:35 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 04:36 AM)catchinon Wrote: I'll be there and will ride out with EyLayo. I guess everyone will be trying for kokes and trout? It might be good to share what we might want to bring along for the kokes. I have what I think is some very basic koke tackle and maybe could pick more up before I go. Any ideas, anyone?
Not a bad idea Craig, here are some pictures on what I’m planning to try. These are all things I have caught Kokanee on through the ice. First is a sling blade with a pink Ratso on a 12-18” leader under it, next is a Swedish pimple, after that is a Kastmaster with the split rings and hook removed with a Gizzy bug on an 8-12” dropper then we have scents and bait, gulp maggots, your favorite corn concoction and meal worms are my go to as far as scent, use what you like, I’ve been using Mikes trout scent all winter with success not pictured is Mikes Kokanee scent it’s white and smells like candy love it. The last picture is my all time favorite Maniac Gitzilla, that catches everything trout, Kokanee even perch I’m planning on using it if and when I get frustrated targeting Kokes and go after trout.
Interesting stuff.
I guess, I've never really given it much thought to what different tackle and techniques would be used to specifically target kokanee.