Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
East Canyon Ice
Hit East Canyon for the first time this ice season.  4" of ice where we fished.  Catching was pretty slow, only 9 fish between 4 of us.  Most others I talked to only caught 2 fish per group so I guess in comparison, we did good, but not the 40 fish days I have had in that location in the past!
Thanks for the report, if you don't mind me asking, did you access the ice from the ramp or from another location?
I've been up there twice. Hiked down into Dixie Hollow by the buoys. First trip was New Years and we caught 10 between the 3 of us. Two over 17. I would usually get at least 10 on my own. On Saturday I only hooked into 2 and my buddy was skunked. The 1st one was a little too fat for the six inch hole and straightened out the ratfinkee. I think Ratfinkee needs to switch to a vmc hook. I think the plantings were not as great and the pressure was for sure heavier this past year.
(01-04-2021, 09:54 PM)fryman1 Wrote: I've been up there twice.  Hiked down into Dixie Hollow by the buoys.  First trip was New Years and we caught 10 between the 3 of us.  Two over 17.  I would usually get at least 10 on my own.  On Saturday I only hooked into 2 and my buddy was skunked.  The 1st one was a little too fat for the six inch hole and straightened out the ratfinkee.  I think Ratfinkee needs to switch to a vmc hook.  I think the plantings were not as great and the pressure was for sure heavier this past year.
Thank you, Covid.
The pressure all summer for fishing and hunting has been insane. I took my normal long trip down on the Boulder after school was in and everything should be dead, but it was a madhouse. Cars were lined down the roads and overflowing every hiking spot. The places I like to hike to and pack in a float tube were overrun. Everyone was from California, Oregon, and Washington.
I personally removed 9- 55gal garbage bags of trash from bear boxes.
So, I definitely believe the pressure overran the normal plantings in most every place.
I'm just hoping we can salvage a normal year of snow.
(01-04-2021, 05:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report, if you don't mind me asking, did you access the ice from the ramp or from another location?
We accessed in one of the bays.  Did not use the ramp but plenty of others did.