Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Steinaker and Matt Warner.
Hi! I recently took a trip to vernal to fish Steinaker and Matt Warner.

The first day we fished Steinaker. We arrived late and missed the morning bite. But, we still caught some fish. We were located on a steep drop-off right outside the big bay. (The water is currently low so the bay isn't there currently) We set up in 12 feet of water and were using Little tungsten jigs tipped with Berkley Gulp maggots. We tried a lot of different presentations but what worked the best was barely moving the jigs but not dead sticking. We were catching a fish every 30 minutes give or take.

Video Link 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkUAX02tCz0&t=2s

The second day, we drove up to Mat Warner, and this is where the fish caching began... We arrived on time and hit the morning bit head on! In 2 hours everyone had caught multiple fish! All fish were over 13 inches (One was 10 inches) Dead sticking was the key on this lake, one fish was caught jigging but all others were caught dead sticking. Really everything worked. Even power bait. I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but it worked! and so did everything else! But my pride returned when I landed the biggest fish if the day, a 16 inch rainbow. But even more pride came when I saw it was tagged! 

Video Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb4aWrNaL90&t=718s

Anyways, thanks for looking at this thread and watching the videos and subscribed to the channel!
(You did that. Right?)
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
Steinaker has some huge bluegills in it sometimes. Fun stuff.
(01-05-2021, 11:35 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Steinaker has some huge bluegills in it sometimes.  Fun stuff.
No big gills right now. Since the winterkill during the dam repair a few years ago everything died. Bluegill and bass have been restocked, but aren't too big just yet. Another year or two and they'll be decent again. Rainbows and browns are doing well. Lots of 10" to 14" right now.
Fun video. Keep at it. Maybe we will catch up on the water
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-09-2021, 05:16 AM)fishnate Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 11:35 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Steinaker has some huge bluegills in it sometimes.  Fun stuff.
No big gills right now. Since the winterkill during the dam repair a few years ago everything died. Bluegill and bass have been restocked, but aren't too big just yet. Another year or two and they'll be decent again. Rainbows and browns are doing well. Lots of 10" to 14" right now.
I may have spoken a little prematurely. A friend and I fished Steinaker yesterday and though we didn't catch many, we did find a few 6" to 8" bluegill along with our trout. I was glad to prove myself wrong. I still don't think there are lots of 8" class gills, but there are some.
(01-09-2021, 08:24 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Fun video. Keep at it. Maybe we will catch up on the water
It would be fun if we did!
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
Nice to see you're still getting out there and having some good trips.  If a fish pulls my pole through the ice again, I'll give you a shout so you can come and catch it back for me.   Big Grin
~ A bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office ~
Smile 
(01-11-2021, 04:34 PM)Bertrum13 Wrote: Nice to see you're still getting out there and having some good trips.  If a fish pulls my pole through the ice again, I'll give you a shout so you can come and catch it back for me.   Big Grin
I would LOVE to! ??