Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek
Anyone been to Lost Creek lately?
(01-23-2021, 06:06 AM)Twag1234 Wrote: Anyone been to Lost Creek lately?
Was there last saturday. Fished for a little bit while the kids sledded. Was at the boat ramp caught one rainbow with 2 #2 snelled eagleclaws in its throat was starving and sickly so killed it, fillet it, and fed it to our cat since the meat was perch white. Fish was 14 inches. Marked a few others but no bites. Caught it on a 1/32 tungsten uv/glow jig tipped with powerbait. Ice was about 8 to 10 inches
Thanks for the report.
(01-23-2021, 12:22 PM)sliverslinger Wrote: Thanks for the report.
If you go make sure you have 4wd and do not drive down the boat ramp it is solid ice
(01-24-2021, 03:58 AM)Lipnrip Wrote:
If you go make sure you have 4wd and do not drive down the boat ramp it is solid ice
Thanks for that advice. I would hate to get stuck down in there.
(01-24-2021, 04:53 PM)Jbworkin Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 03:58 AM)Lipnrip Wrote:
Thanks for that advice. I would hate to get stuck down in there.
I was there for a trip last year and a truck got stuck trying to get to the boat ramp and another group took a side by side down the ramp. We moved to the dam side and after we didn't see them for hours, I drove over to make sure they didn't go through the ice. Turns out they just couldn't get back up the ramp and it took them hours to do so.

A buddy of mine was there yesterday and they didn't catch anything.
(01-23-2021, 06:53 AM)Lipnrip Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 06:06 AM)Twag1234 Wrote: Anyone been to Lost Creek lately?
 Was at the boat ramp caught one rainbow with 2 #2 snelled eagleclaws in its throat was starving and sickly so killed it, fillet it, and fed it to our cat since the meat was perch white. 
Perhaps someone here can turn on the light bulb for me.  I have as I am sure all of you caught any number of fish with line protruding from either end of the fish.  These lines having hooks still in the fish.
Now the question, I have read lots and lots of times that hooks supposably rust out and are gone in like 3 weeks.
How long does it really take?
Some have looked to be in for months if not longer as there are at times deformities due to the line being drug around.
6 months to a year depending on where the fish is hooked. Stomach acid can decompose the hook quicker. Lip-hooked can take a year or more.
In the old days, before plated hooks, a few days to a couple of weeks to dissolve/rust was true. But, today, most hooks are plated so they don't rust and so they stay sharper. Do any of you fellow older timers remember opening your tackle box to a bunch of your hooks rusted together in a ball because you got water inside your tackle box? I sure do.

I have not seen any recent studies, and I doubt you could find a non-biased one if you did, but my observations if you will.

I have seen some fish with line going out both sides, that you could pull gently and the line would go all they way through. Clearly these had dissolved the hook but no idea on the time.

I have seen hooks that the fish had actually grown scar tissue around to protect itself. Some of these were dissolved, some not.

I have seen some with hooks that clearly had been in a long long time.

Some states require you to keep all fish caught with bait, or at least count them as part of your limit, and quit fishing when your limit is reached. Most states say you can cut the line and release because many of those fish do survive.

I think the jury is still out on this one if you ask me. As hooks change, they stay in a lot longer and I suspect fewer fish survive. This is one reason that I have been slowly switching over to circle hooks, but, and I do mean but, not all fish or hit types work on circle hooks. Trout is one species that circle hooks don't seem to work well on.

So, my suggestions? I don't have one at this time.
It seems simple enough to me.  

Just fish with barbless hooks and no bait, problem solved. Big Grin
(01-26-2021, 09:16 PM)gofish435 Wrote: It seems simple enough to me.  

Just fish with barbless hooks and no bait, problem solved. Big Grin

Even simpler, quit fishing and then zero fish are harmed. Shy