Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappie night on PV 1/12
Had trouble getting off work as early as I wanted to, then had to feed and water the youngest son before I could convince him to go fishing with me. Got to PV around 7 and drilled a test hole near Browning point around 7:30. We saw fish and didn’t waste much time getting setup. 

Once we did get settled the finder showed 13’ or so of fishy marks about 7’ off the bottom. The vexilar has a auto zoom which shows the bottom 6’ on one side and there were no fish on that half of the screen Dodgy . Switched to normal mode and it lit up, they were all light bites and we missed more than we caught. 

Left with around a dozen iced and released. It’s been awhile since my youngest had that much fun fishing, he typically gets bored. Last night he gave me some good ribbing and it was great to spend that time with him. 

My wife didn’t realize when she said do something fun with the kid, that I’d take him fishing. Apparently I shouldn’t do that on a school night when she and my daughter are working  Big Grin . They were pretty jealous when we got home. 

[Image: 3481-EE8-C-E8-E9-46-B1-885-D-FA0176-B3352-C.jpg]

[Image: E027-ED99-C1-E0-4-E2-E-A3-D3-7621-AE31-B495.jpg]

[Image: 574333-F7-09-DB-48-CF-ADA9-EE97134-DE2-F7.jpg]
Congrats for being a good Dad.
Anytime is a good time to take a kid fishing, even on a school night. Teaches patience. Something schools don't teach. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Sounds like great fun with your son, well done
(01-13-2021, 06:02 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Congrats for being a good Dad.

Thank you, we try to spend family time together on the weekends. But this made me realize I need more one on one time with each of my kids. They come into their own during those times.

At one point he was giving me a hard time after he caught 2 and I hadn't hooked up in between. I told him I had taught him everything he knows about fishing... and he says ' yeah you're right, that's probably why I don't catch many fish'. Pretty quick witty comment that I'd normally miss out on if the others were there. Still getting over the sting of that one Big Grin

(01-13-2021, 06:08 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Anytime is a good time to take a kid fishing, even on a school night. Teaches patience. Something schools don't teach. 

I agree, it was a good use of the evening and I'm glad we did it.
Good times and great report, that's what it's all about... Thanks for sharing it... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I like my Vex, but man it would be nice if it had adjustable zoom like a lot of the others. Here’s a little trick to get by in some situations. If the fish are stacked in pretty high, like the crappie at PV, take it off bottom lock and auto range. Use manual range to get just below the top of the school. This opens up the spacing and gives you a bit more room around the dial. Only downfall is you lose sight of what’s happening on the bottom.
(01-13-2021, 07:07 PM)EyLayo Wrote: I like my Vex, but man it would be nice if it had adjustable zoom like a lot of the others. Here’s a little trick to get by in some situations. If the fish are stacked in pretty high, like the crappie at PV, take it off bottom lock and auto range. Use manual range to get just below the top of the school. This opens up the spacing and gives you a bit more room around the dial. Only downfall is you lose sight of what’s happening on the bottom.

I’ll have to give that a try next time. Agree it’d be nice if they had a manual zoom. I do have a Garmin Striker4 but it’s not in a convenient case like my Vex.
Nice job Jim!
Yeah...kids live it when they out-do their parents in anything, and at the end of the, don't we hope they'll be better than us anyway? Good job!
"and he says ' yeah you're right, that's probably why I don't catch many fish'." lolz.

One of the best things in life is watching your kids get funny.