Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night fishing crappies/perch
Hello all, new to this forum. We hit hyrum today bout 300 yards west of boat dock. Caught 3 10’s perch. Fished till 1:30 that was it.., then hit Newton till dark. Allot of small perch. No slabs.

Wondering if anyone had experience night fishing on any of these puddles? My son really wants to do an overnighted’. I’m not to thrilled, but would be an experience non the less. Thanks for any help!!
Welcome to the forum. First I must say - great tag name.

Newton is a good night spot for crappie. Recent reports off the west side second bay were successfully. I would do Pineview myself (closer for me) there are alot of crappie in PV and a lot of spots to try. I have never had much luck with perch after dark, so I would not try Hyrum at night, myself.

If you scroll down, or search,, there are a number of Pineview and Newton reports with info to help ya.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Ya, perch pretty much go dormant at night. In a shallow lake in Idaho in the 80's we found that a strong light down the hole kept the perch bite going for maybe an hour after dark, than nothing.

I Washington I knew a lake that I could use a dim light and actually reach down in the shallow water and grab a few perch at night.

So, Hyrum would be out at night for me.
Thanks Cowboy and Archer, I look forward to adding experiences and knowledge gained to this forum. I really appreciate your time and knowledge.

Take care
Indeed. Perch almost always shut down at dark, often even after sunset. Crappies seem to bite from late afternoon well into dark and in the very early morning. I've found this true basically everywhere I have tried with crappies to varying degrees.
(01-15-2021, 03:55 AM)MonsterMuleytroutfish0808 Wrote: Hello all, new to this forum. We hit hyrum today bout 300 yards west of boat dock. Caught 3 10’s perch. Fished till 1:30 that was it.., then hit Newton till dark. Allot of small perch. No slabs.

Wondering if anyone had experience night fishing on any of these puddles? My son really wants to do an overnighted’. I’m not to thrilled, but would be an experience non the less. Thanks for any help!!
I was at Newton last night as well but only fished from 6-9 pm. Fishing was slow for me, only iced a couple of crappie. I was there a couple of weeks ago with the full moon and fishing was a lot better. Were you the guys in the big tent right by the dam? If you're after crappie, I would suggest fishing deeper between 35-40 FOW. Small glow tungsten jigs worked best for me. Good luck!
I hit Pineview early this morning. Wish I’d been there 2 hours before sunrise. Lots is suspended Crappie right before dawn. Caught 1/2 dozen in the first half hour, but as soon as it got light, they skedaddled to parts unknown. Tried 2 other spots, but basically no action or fish on the finder after 8am.
(01-15-2021, 05:06 PM)A_Rich7 Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 03:55 AM)MonsterMuleytroutfish0808 Wrote: Hello all, new to this forum. We hit hyrum today bout 300 yards west of boat dock. Caught 3 10’s perch. Fished till 1:30 that was it.., then hit Newton till dark. Allot of small perch. No slabs.

I was at Newton last night as well but only fished from 6-9 pm. Fishing was slow for me, only iced a couple of crappie. I was there a couple of weeks ago with the full moon and fishing was a lot better. Were you the guys in the big tent right by the dam? If you're after crappie, I would suggest fishing deeper between 35-40 FOW. Small glow tungsten jigs worked best for me. Good luck!
 Rich, we mush have been coming off right when you got there. We were about mid- reservoir. There was the tent you are talking about and a couple to the north of me. Thanks for feedback.