Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here - fishing waters/species
Hi all, I've been lurking on the forums for a bit now, just starting fishing in Cache Country this year and have learned a lot from reading the posts.

I'm trying to put together a list of places for my family to try fishing at and a sort of checklist of fish species to try catching. Has anyone done this that would be willing to share information, or what webpages were most useful to you in coming up with a fairly complete list? Thanks in advance, looking forward to posting more!
(01-16-2021, 09:39 PM)Miles Fitzrobert Wrote: Hi all, I've been lurking on the forums for a bit now, just starting fishing in Cache Country this year and have learned a lot from reading the posts.

I'm trying to put together a list of places for my family to try fishing at and a sort of checklist of fish species to try catching. Has anyone done this that would be willing to share information, or what webpages were most useful to you in coming up with a fairly complete list? Thanks in advance, looking forward to posting more!
Welcome aboard.  I just posted a writeup on UTAH ICE FISHING .  (link)

It includes a link to the DWR site with a more complete list.
This is a website made by the DWR that lists fishing reports and species that are in each waterbody.

https://dwrapps.utah.gov/fishing/fStart

Utah has a lot of different species to catch and which ones you can get all depend on how you fish - boat, shore, fly, etc.

As a brief list, here are some of the available species to catch:

Bonneville Cutthroat
Colorado Cutthroat
Bear Lake Cutthroat
Rainbow Trout
Brown Trout
Brook Trout
Lake Trout
Splake
Tiger Trout
Kokanee Salmon
Arctic Grayling
Bonneville Cisco
Bonneville Whitefish
Mountain Whitefish
Bear Lake Whitefish
Channel Catfish
Black Bullhead
Yellow Perch
Bluegill
Green Sunfish
Black Crappie
Tiger Muskie
Pike
Walleye
White Bass
Striped bass
Smallmouth Bass
Largemouth Bass

Many of those species can be caught in Cache Valley, at places like Newton Reservoir, Cutler Reservoir, Hyrum Reservoir, the Logan River, and the Blacksmith Fork River.  Many more can be found by hopping over to Bear Lake. 

There are many more species in Utah, but those listed are generally the most desirable sport fish.
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to reading your reports. That link that downrigger offered is a great place to start. Also save every attachment Tubedude offers - you can go back and search his posts to find all sorts up write up goodies. Good people here willing to help which is hard to find in the fishing world.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Thanks much! Looks like I've got some stuff to check out. We hit Newton today and got a few small perch, but very new to ice fishing, so that'll take some work. Smile