Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 1/16
Fished from 11:30-330 today out from twin coves.  
20+ perch 
Wax worms on tungsten jig and worm on plain green jig head.   
Really nice on the ice today.  Recovering from broken ankle so was hesitant about the walking. 
Along the lines of not walking......
I am picking up a snowdog this week and was looking for any advice/warnings/tips on this machine.  I did see a snowdog flip over today.  Not sure how it happened but he appeared to be ok afterwards.  
Thanks for any information.
(01-17-2021, 04:12 AM)Zeroid Wrote: Fished from 11:30-330 today out from twin coves.  
20+ perch 
Really nice on the ice today.  Recovering from broken ankle so was hesitant about the walking. 
I am picking up a snowdog this week and was looking for any advice/warnings/tips on this machine.  I did see a snowdog flip over today.  Not sure how it happened but he appeared to be ok afterwards.  
Good to see you made it back on the site. Thanks much for the report, good to read the perch are still there, did you catch any over 10" in length?
Here is a link to our last thread on the snowdog, in case you missed it:

https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1096963
(01-17-2021, 04:12 AM)Zeroid Wrote: I am picking up a snowdog this week and was looking for any advice/warnings/tips on this machine.  I did see a snowdog flip over today.  Not sure how it happened but he appeared to be ok afterwards.  
From my own experience and from others that I have talked to, they are, in fact, slightly top heavy and will tip over with little effort.  The key here is to go slow on uneven terrain or in areas with lots of ruts or logs.  Speed will flip you in a heartbeat.  If you are uncertain, GO SLOW.  Loving mine so far this year and pulled my first two man load on Friday.  Easy peasy until I started up the boat ramp at Pineview's Port Ramp.  The ramp is HARD packed icy snow.  Made it about 2/3 of the way to the top before the track stopped biting and just spun.  Turned it 90 degrees and walked it over to the snow along side the ice and powered the rest of the way up with no problem.  Lesson learned!  I will order the Kold Kutter studs today and get them installed very soon.    Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-17-2021, 09:21 PM)dubob Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 04:12 AM)Zeroid Wrote: I am picking up a snowdog this week and was looking for any advice/warnings/tips on this machine.  I did see a snowdog flip over today.  Not sure how it happened but he appeared to be ok afterwards.  
From my own experience and from others that I have talked to, they are, in fact, slightly top heavy and will tip over with little effort.  The key here is to go slow on uneven terrain or in areas with lots of ruts or logs.  Speed will flip you in a heartbeat.  If you are uncertain, GO SLOW.  Loving mine so far this year and pulled my first two man load on Friday.  Easy peasy until I started up the boat ramp at Pineview's Port Ramp.  The ramp is HARD packed icy snow.  Made it about 2/3 of the way to the top before the track stopped biting and just spun.  Turned it 90 degrees and walked it over to the snow along side the ice and powered the rest of the way up with no problem.  Lesson learned!  I will order the Kold Kutter studs today and get them installed very soon.    Big Grin
Hey Bob, how many trips did you get in with your snow dog before you had this problem, of not being able to go up the hill because of slick conditions?
(01-17-2021, 05:32 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 04:12 AM)Zeroid Wrote: Fished from 11:30-330 today out from twin coves.  
20+ perch 
Good to see you made it back on the site. Thanks much for the report, good to read the perch are still there, did you catch any over 10" in length?
Here is a link to our last thread on the snowdog, in case you missed it:

https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1096963

Thank you for the feedback. Looking forward to trying it out.
I am the idiot that rolled the Snowdog Saturday. The Ice was super slick, I was empty towing 3 sleds, I got going too fast, hooked up on an old snowmobile rut and started fishtailing. Thinks went bad quick. Ended up with a large goose egg on back of the head and a shattered pinky finger. No damage to the machine or sleds. I am running the Kold Kutters. Definitely needed them with those conditions.

We fished 35FOW and had perch all day long. 10% were nice. Only one nice rainbow at that depth. Moved to 12FOW for the last couple hours of the day and it was non stop small rainbows.

Came back across the lake after dark. BEWARE!!!! we came across a point on the east side about 25 feet from shore, (not sure exactly where were were at as it was dark), but we broke though the ice. Luckily we had enough momentum and an angel watching over us, as we floored the Snowdog and it climbed back up on to the ice and pulled us through. One of the scariest moments of my life. I lived to fish another day. Be safe out there my friends!
(01-18-2021, 04:31 PM)JBSPARKIE Wrote: I am the idiot that rolled the Snowdog Saturday. The Ice was super slick, I was empty towing 3 sleds, I got going too fast, hooked up on an old snowmobile rut and started fishtailing. Thinks went bad quick. Ended up with a large goose egg on back of the head and a shattered pinky finger. No damage to the machine or sleds. I am running the Kold Kutters. Definitely needed them with those conditions.

We fished 35FOW and had perch all day long. 10% were nice. Only one nice rainbow at that depth. Moved to 12FOW for the last couple hours of the day and it was non stop small rainbows.

Came back across the lake after dark. BEWARE!!!! we came across a point on the east side about 25 feet from shore, (not sure exactly where were were at as it was dark), but we broke though the ice. Luckily we had enough momentum and an angel watching over us, as we floored the Snowdog and it climbed back up on to the ice and pulled us through. One of the scariest moments of my life. I lived to fish another day. Be safe out there my friends!
Wow, that is the scariest snowdog story I've heard about, first tipping it over, then going through thin ice. Glad you are OK, hopefully your finger and head recover from that trama. I did not realise there was any thin ice at Rockport, if that is where you were fishing? Great news on the numbers of perch you caught though, how big was the largest ones you caught?
(01-18-2021, 05:23 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 04:31 PM)JBSPARKIE Wrote: I am the idiot that rolled the Snowdog Saturday. The Ice was super slick, I was empty towing 3 sleds, I got going too fast, hooked up on an old snowmobile rut and started fishtailing. Thinks went bad quick. Ended up with a large goose egg on back of the head and a shattered pinky finger. No damage to the machine or sleds. I am running the Kold Kutters. Definitely needed them with those conditions.

Wow, that is the scariest snowdog story I've heard about, first tipping it over, then going through thin ice. Glad you are OK, hopefully your finger and head recover from that trama. I did not realise there was any thin ice at Rockport, if that is where you were fishing? Great news on the numbers of perch you caught though, how big was the largest ones you caught?
13" was biggest perch.
Glad you’re ok and above water!
That is definitely a pucker story...... that is scary if there’s a thin spot or open hole before the ramp...
(01-17-2021, 09:53 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Hey Bob, how many trips did you get in with your snow dog before you had this problem, of not being able to go up the hill because of slick conditions?
This was trip #5 for me Curtis, so I had 4 trips without any track slipping/spinning.  I'll be studding the track very soon.  I'm having Wilkinson Supply in Ogden do the 5-hr recommended oil change today.  The only way to change the oil is to pump out the old and I don't have a pump or the desire to do that.  I'll be out on Hyrum tomorrow.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-19-2021, 04:52 PM)dubob Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 09:53 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Hey Bob, how many trips did you get in with your snow dog before you had this problem, of not being able to go up the hill because of slick conditions?
This was trip #5 for me Curtis, so I had 4 trips without any track slipping/spinning.  I'll be studding the track very soon.  I'm having Wilkinson Supply in Ogden do the 5-hr recommended oil change today.  The only way to change the oil is to pump out the old and I don't have a pump or the desire to do that.  I'll be out on Hyrum tomorrow.
Too bad they can't do the studs at the same time as the oil change. Does the snowdog have an hour meter on it, to know when to change the oil?
(01-19-2021, 05:59 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
Too bad they can't do the studs at the same time as the oil change. Does the snowdog have an hour meter on it, to know when to change the oil?
I have one of the first snowdog’s they were selling in the US. I had to buy it from a dealer in Michigan and shipped out here when I moved to Utah, as they were the first one’s to deal with them. 
There is no hour meter. 
I have put in over a 100 studs in the track myself.   Very easy and quick to do. Not one has ever broke out. You need to stud the track. 
Couple of things to remember:  If, and you will turn it over, shut the gas line off immediately!  It can fill the piston with gas and you will not be able to start it until you drain gas from piston and your oil will be ruined also. The piston will lock in place and you will not be able to electric start it or pull start it.  Oil change will be needed.
5 hours?? A Briggs & Stratton dealer did mine in an hour and was only $24.
Also, when you trailer it, shut off gas line as it can splash gas into the piston also. A buddy of mine had this happen to him when he trailered it on a long trip to the Gorge. Could not start it when he got there. 
The best model is the Standard B13MER(reverse a must). 
Sled seat is a pain in the arse. You do need to jerry-rig it to work out for you. The best seat was the first one they made, but stopped making it because they kept falling off, but it was the best one they said.

If anyone is interested, I have for sale, Best Offer, a 500 lb weight capacity aluminum hitch hauler ramp that is tilt-able and has a sliding ramp and some extra’s, that I used to haul mine around with. It worked great. 
I lived in a condo and did not have room for a trailer.   I have now moved and do not need the hitch hauler.
Can send pics if you are interested.
(01-21-2021, 12:34 AM)Jayweymouth1 Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 05:59 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
I have one of the first snowdog’s they were selling in the US. I had to buy it from a dealer in Michigan and shipped out here when I moved to Utah, as they were the first one’s to deal with them. 
There is no hour meter. 
I have put in over a 100 studs in the track myself.   Very easy and quick to do. Not one has ever broke out. You need to stud the track. 
Couple of things to remember:  If, and you will turn it over, shut the gas line off immediately!  It can fill the piston with gas and you will not be able to start it until you drain gas from piston and your oil will be ruined also. The piston will lock in place and you will not be able to electric start it or pull start it.  Oil change will be needed.
5 hours?? A Briggs & Stratton dealer did mine in an hour and was only $24.
Also, when you trailer it, shut off gas line as it can splash gas into the piston also. A buddy of mine had this happen to him when he trailered it on a long trip to the Gorge. Could not start it when he got there. 
The best model is the Standard B13MER(reverse a must). 
Sled seat is a pain in the arse. You do need to jerry-rig it to work out for you. The best seat was the first one they made, but stopped making it because they kept falling off, but it was the best one they said.

If anyone is interested, I have for sale, Best Offer, a 500 lb weight capacity aluminum hitch hauler ramp that is tilt-able and has a sliding ramp and some extra’s, that I used to haul mine around with. It worked great. 
I lived in a condo and did not have room for a trailer.   I have now moved and do not need the hitch hauler.
Can send pics if you are interested.
Think I will stick to my Polaris Wide Trak.[Image: Cascade-Jan-2016.jpg]
I did pick up the snowdog B13MER today. No factory sled until beginning of February... maybe? I have an otter sled with hitch for machine and it works ok. Rode just a little on the grass at work and I can see how it can be tipped fairly easily in certain conditions. But I know I’m not going to regret buying it!
Kold kutters arrive Friday.
Thanks for all of the tips !

Haha...I agree!!! I’d actually stick with that too!!!!! If I had one.