Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone used SxS on Newton or Hyrum
Hey fellas, wondering if anyone has used side x sides recently on these waters.? Posted earlier about an overnight camping trip.
Trying to gauge if the ice is good enough? I’m stuck in the middle! Seen snowmobile s on hyrum. Last week ice looked better on Newton, however I have not seen anything, but wheelers on Newton. Any help appreciated. 

Looking forward to giving a report on the crappie/perch and hopefully a pic. Of a tiger Musky if Newton is the destination..

Best Regards
There was a SXS on Hyrum Monday, didn't hear it went through, I had my snowmobile on Hyrum the same day and it seemed fine. However, the ice was really cracking and moving due to temperature and freezing effects, but I didn't notice any issues from the sled... I think there was around 8" of ice where we were fishing, however, it didn't freeze everywhere at the same time, so keep that in mind... Newton has thicker ice 10-12" where I have fished, however it had open water in one spot when I was fishing 6" of ice where I was ... I think your edge margins will be the limiting factor, so far the edges have been okay, but with the warmer temps it might cause the lake levels to rise making the edges form new ice to fill the gaps... If I was taking a SXS I'd hit Newton, fishing has actually been faster at Newton, but quality is less... Big one at Newton is 8-9", where average is 7".... Hyrum I'm still averaging close to 10", but I get 15 on Newton to 2 on Hyrum, and it's a lot easier to get on fish at Newton, you can punch a hole almost anywhere and find a couple fish... Hyrum you have to move to find fish... Quality vs Quantity i guess is your decision... Newton edge effect will probably be worse than Hyrum, but so far I haven't had a problem and it's been fairly cool this week, so I wouldn't expect trouble yet... Good luck and help thin those perch at Newton so they'll grow a little bigger for next year... We should have caught a lot more at Newton, but I took my FIL and with his dementia we don't fish very productively... Camera really helped at Newton, the water clarity is better than Hyrum and the fish bite so lightly that I needed the visual help to know when to set the hook... I'm sure a spring bobber would work, but don't expect a stiff rod to indicate when they are sucking on your bait... Anyway sorry for all the BS when you just wanted to know if the ice would hold... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-22-2021, 01:37 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: There was a SXS on Hyrum Monday, didn't hear it went through, I had my snowmobile on Hyrum the same day and it seemed fine.  However, the ice was really cracking and moving due to temperature and freezing effects, but I didn't notice any issues from the sled... I think there was around 8" of ice where we were fishing, however, it didn't freeze everywhere at the same time, so keep that in mind...  Newton has thicker ice 10-12" where I have fished, however it had open water in one spot when I was fishing 6" of ice where I was ... I think your edge margins will be the limiting factor, so far the edges have been okay, but with the warmer temps it might cause the lake levels to rise making the edges form new ice to fill the gaps... If I was taking a SXS I'd hit Newton, fishing has actually been faster at Newton, but quality is less... Big one at Newton is 8-9", where average is 7".... Hyrum I'm still averaging close to 10", but I get 15 on Newton to 2 on Hyrum, and it's a lot easier to get on fish at Newton, you can punch a hole almost anywhere and find a couple fish... Hyrum you have to move to find fish... Quality vs Quantity i guess is your decision...  Newton edge effect will probably be worse than Hyrum, but so far I haven't had a problem and it's been fairly cool this week, so I wouldn't expect trouble yet... Good luck and help thin those perch at Newton so they'll grow a little bigger for next year... We should have caught a lot more at Newton, but I took my FIL and with his dementia we don't fish very productively...  Camera really helped at Newton, the water clarity is better than Hyrum and the fish bite so lightly that I needed the visual help to know when to set the hook...  I'm sure a spring bobber would work, but don't expect a stiff rod to indicate when they are sucking on your bait... Anyway sorry for all the BS when you just wanted to know if the ice would hold... Later J
Thanks Skunked, I appreciate it.
You bet! J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
My brother was on Newton Sat evening and he said there was minimum 10" of ice, so you should be good with a SxS.