Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Elevated
I recently had a conversation with a young BFT ice angler.  I was "holding forth" on some of the little tricks of the trade I think I have learned, when he got a pained expression on his face and said "Man, I ain't ever going to remember all this.  Do you have anything written on it?"  That's how a lot of my "writeups" get started.  And that was the inspiration for the two attached PDF files.

Oh, and by the way.  An unpaid political announcement.  If you wander over to the BFT 4-Sale Section
you will find three new entries of mine...on ice rods, lures and accessories.
Oh boy these look really good I can’t wait to study them. Thank you so much for sharing. But got to check out your adds before they are gone. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thank you TubeDude!!! You are always so willing to share your wisdom and knowledge. I sure enjoy everything you post, hard or soft water. You have forgotten more about fish and fishing than i'll ever know. Thanks Again
(01-25-2021, 05:19 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Oh boy these look really good I can’t wait to study them. Thank you so much for sharing. But got to check out your adds before they are gone. Later Jeff
Yup Pat, they are great write ups, much appreciated once again... Thanks.... Where did you find your rod blanks for your longer ice rods?  I'd like to get me some mac rods that will still fit in my rod case.  I have fit a 42" rod, but I have to slightly bend the rod tip down so it don't get caught in the latching lid.. So I'd like to find some 39-41" rod blanks that have good backbone and a sensitive tip... 

I also need to get some more of your dart head jigs in different sizes, they seem to be one of my favorite lures I've gotten from you for ice fishing... Do you still have any #8 or #10's in glow?  I might try some big ones too for burbot, what are your biggest sizes of them?  I'll have to put in an order if you don't mind... Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-25-2021, 02:52 PM)Bovineowner Wrote: Thank you TubeDude!!! You are always so willing to share your wisdom and knowledge. I sure enjoy everything you post, hard or soft water. You have forgotten more about fish and fishing than i'll ever know. Thanks Again
You are most welcome.  Good to know that I have helped someone.  And I appreciate your appreciation.

I have had the good fortune to have been able to travel widely...business and pleasure...and to have been able to sample fishing opportunities in a wide variety of places.  And along the way I have met and fished with many knowledgeable and sharing anglers...from whom I have greatly increased my own knowledge and enjoyment of fishing.  Whenever I settle into a meditative mood I can vividly recall the times, places and circumstances of many of the life's lessons I learned from others...fishing or otherwise.

As a father, grandfather and fishing friend I have gradually changed from getting all of my fishing enjoys from my own angling success...to someone who delights more in helping fellow tanglers accelerate their own fishing learning curve.  And, considering all the help I have received along the way, I would be an ungrateful wretch if I didn't pay at least some of it forward.

I feel sorry for those who steal valuable info from others...and then refuse to pass any of it along to someone else who asks for it.  But I get the warm fuzzies when I see others on the forum who provide good detailed info willingly.  Oh, I'm not in favor of "hot-spotting" fragile fisheries that can't hold up to increased fishing pressure.  But when it comes to sharing info on sustainable public waters...or providing details on specific tackle or technique questions...why not?

Thank you...for your kindly comments.
(01-24-2021, 08:08 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I recently had a conversation with a young BFT ice angler.  I was "holding forth" on some of the little tricks of the trade I think I have learned, when he got a pained expression on his face and said "Man, I ain't ever going to remember all this.  Do you have anything written on it?"  That's how a lot of my "writeups" get started.  And that was the inspiration for the two attached PDF files.

Oh, and by the way.  An unpaid political announcement.  If you wander over to the BFT 4-Sale Section
As always great write up Pat. If you are ever fortunate enough to use any of Pats homemade lures you will notr he uses prrmium hooks that are very sharp. That is something you wont find on most tackle store stuff. He has an amazing supply of jig heads and materials, paints and dyes that would set you back about a year of anual  wages to replace. Once again great information from a guy that has a lifetime of fishing under his belt.
(01-25-2021, 03:39 PM)fish_fear_me2 Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 08:08 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I recently had a conversation with a young BFT ice angler.  I was "holding forth" on some of the little tricks of the trade I think I have learned, when he got a pained expression on his face and said "Man, I ain't ever going to remember all this.  Do you have anything written on it?"  That's how a lot of my "writeups" get started.  And that was the inspiration for the two attached PDF files.

As always great write up Pat. If you are ever fortunate enough to use any of Pats homemade lures you will notr he uses prrmium hooks that are very sharp. That is something you wont find on most tackle store stuff. He has an amazing supply of jig heads and materials, paints and dyes that would set you back about a year of anual  wages to replace. Once again great information from a guy that has a lifetime of fishing under his belt.
Thanks, Brent.  You wrote that just the way I paid you to.
(01-26-2021, 03:16 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Checks in the mail right??
(01-27-2021, 01:45 AM)fish_fear_me2 Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 03:16 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Checks in the mail right??
Of course.  Just don't wait with bait on your breath...or however that goes.