Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco Jigs
What type or kind of Jigs are being used to jig for Cisco at Bear Lake right now ? Also does the color make a difference ?
(01-27-2021, 07:54 AM)AFDan52 Wrote: What type or kind of Jigs are being used to jig for Cisco at Bear Lake right now ? Also does the color make a difference ?
I haven't jigged for them in many years Dan but the last time I did, I either used some lures I got from TubeDude or some large Kastmasters lures. 1/2 oz silver worked OK but I had my best luck with some that were gold colored or brown. I guess those looked like cisco. We have only done it over the Rock pile. There would always be some bonus fish caught, cutts, macks even whitefish, so it was a fun time.
I have jigged them through the ice...over the rock pile.  And they seemed to show a preference for a white jigging spoon with red spots...and a red treble hook.  When I dropped down, I let it hit the bottom and then just raised it a few inches.  The ciscoes apparently were swarming and rolling all over it.  The rod tip was vibrating continuously.  And then it would suddenly take a short dive as a cisco either impaled itself...or in many cases, grabbed the red hook...as in the picture below.  I also caught Bear Lake whitefish, Bonneville whitefish, cutts and even a small mack that same day on the same lure.
[Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]

Based on input from lots of others who have jigged them either through the ice or from a boat, size and color of jig don't always make that much difference.  Painted or metallic all seem to draw them in to the trebles...and getting snagged.  When they are in the throes of lust they go crazy.  With that in mind I created my "Cisco Slut" lure.

[Image: CISCO-SLUT.jpg]

Thanks guys , I'm not sure just yet , but I'm knocking around the idea of trying to jig for them , as per the reports that Scott has put on the Bear Lake recording they are not into the shore yet. So I am considering trying this. Thank you for the help.
I go about every year. I use a 1 oz cast master of various colors. I haven’t noticed a big difference in color selection. You are snagging them after all. I fish over the rock pile or near the pump house. A rocky bottom is the key. It also leads to a few snags but you have to be on the bottom. I use oversized treble hooks. I prefer red ones. You hit the bottom let it sit for 2 or three seconds then give it a sharp jigging motion about 3 feet high. If you haven’t hooked one repeat again. They are not tough to catch if the run is on which it is right now. Good Luck!

I am going up this weekend and wish I had my boat up there.
(01-28-2021, 06:36 PM)AFDan52 Wrote:   
                    Thanks guys , I'm not sure just yet , but I'm knocking around the idea of trying to jig for them , as per the reports that Scott has put on the Bear Lake recording they are not into the shore yet. So I am considering trying this. Thank you for the help.
Like mentioned don't put too much thought into having to do it right, I like the kastmasters with a little larger hook on it, (proclamation calls out a maximum hook size or used to, I think it was 7/8" diameter if I remember correctly, I don't go that big because too big of hook tangles in your swivels and won't hang straight) the flash attracts the fish, then the jerk hooks them.(well so I've been called).. I've even gotten doubles before...  But I did try catching them on small ice jigs one year and it worked too, I couldn't believe they took them, but they did.... However, my catch rate was much lower and they don't fight as well hooked in the mouth as they do when they get tail hooked or belly snagged...  It's really pretty easy when the fish are there, good luck and have fun... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!