Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Tackle
I'm fairly new to ice fishing and really enjoy it. I was wondering if anyone would share what tackle they have success with. I'm not asking to share your secrets just general tackle used for ice fishing. I generally fish scofield, ottercreek, mammoth, and wanna try yuba this year. I appreciate any advice.
I just hope yuba freezes this year
Ice flies, twin tails, ratfinkees, small plastic jigs, tube jigs
Tip them with worms
Let us know how you do.
(12-11-2020, 08:08 PM)Bigtuna4 Wrote: I'm fairly new to ice fishing and really enjoy it. I was wondering if anyone would share what tackle they have success with. I'm not asking to share your secrets just general tackle used for ice fishing. I generally fish scofield, ottercreek, mammoth, and wanna try yuba this year. I appreciate any advice.

Many (myself included) started ice fishing with our longer poles and whatever jigs and lures we had in the tacklebox.  I drug my stuff along on a kid's sled for the first couple of years.  

After a couple of frustrating trips, I added a short ice fishing pole.  I have found I prefer a medium or medium heavy rod.  Not a fan of the "noodle" rods.  Many of my poles have come from WalMart, and I eventually replace the reels with Quantum Optix 10 reels or Abu Garcia Black Max 10 reels.  Initial auger option for most people is the eskimo 8" hand auger, but many serious fisherman upgrade to power augers.  I upgraded to a propane auger, then last year to a nils auger and Milwaukee hammer drill.

For jigs, lures, spoons, plastics, etc. there are plenty of options.  I think a handful of small painted jigs in several sizes and colors is a good starting point.  I seem to have most luck on white, green, or a fire tiger jigs, but you can find many options out there.  Lead jigs are the standard, but tungsten jigs have made a lot of headway recently (not meaning to open a debate here).  I do like that tungsten jigs sink faster, allowing you to get your presentation down to where the fish are.  You can get two tungsten jigs for just under $2 at Walmart.  I also like Skandia jigs (at Scheels) and shad dart jigs (sometimes available in the jig "drawers" at Sportsmans Warehouse).

For perch, I like the Hallie jigs, but also see a lot of success on small jigs.  Tube jigs and other plastics like curly tail grubs, cuttr bugs, gizillas, etc. have their place.  I quit using them for a while after having a hard time with hooksets.  Have been using them a little this year again with some success.  I think sometimes with that much plastic and some bait on, the fish don't actually get the hook in their mouths.  So maybe less plastic and bait to allow more exposed hook.

At some point, you may want to add a flasher or other fish finder.  This does eliminate some of the guess work about presence and depth of fish.  I started with a Humminbird Ice 35, and added a Marcum M1 last year.  I would definitely consider the Ice 35 over others due to it's larger screen and dual beam option.

I am willing to meet you on the ice so you can see some of what I have in action.  Catchinon and I are headed to Scofield tomorrow morning if you want to join us.  As my user names alludes to, I have a lot of tackle, still trying to master it!

jack of all tackle, master of none
There are some great deals on Ebay and Amazon where you can get 50 jigs for 25.00 or something, and most of them will catch fish.

I often see people siting back on lawnchairs fishing with full-sized poles which can work very well.

Overall, detecting sensitive bites is a big key. Small bobbers with slips and spring bobbers on the pole make a big difference.

Most of my ice rods are cheap ultralight rods, or even 10.00 Durango's, from Walmart that I cut off ahead of the handle and glue back together about 32-36" long. Cusom length. I like lightweight, responsive rods, and I like em short, but not TOO short. 24" rods don't work for me.

I have caught lots of fish, esp trout and perch, on smaller "regular" gear, like any old crappie tubes or plastics like that. You can drop-shot some small plastics effectively, too.
Swedish pimples, round head jigs with a twister tail, buckshot's, jigging rapalas, all no bigger than a 1/4 oz, 1/8 and 1/16 oz are great.
Buck shot spoons are a must for any ice fisherman even if you pull the hooks and use it as a attractor above a small jig, I'd also add some jig n raps and at least a spoon or two to your box specifically for ice fishing.
I had to step away.

Fritz is right; rattles ca really help. However, even stringing up several beads as a "flasher" can add click. Likewise blade baits and other vibrating lures. Even jigging a sinking Rapala can do wonders.

Also, while the Hali-jig is an awesome lure and swedish pimple is a classic, about any old small spoon can be rigged with a small chain and hook and do well. I use the smallest size swivel I can find and octupus hooks with a split ring.

And don't forget just bait. At Mantua Hyrum, etc, while I'm messing around jigging for perch, I usually have my second rod rigged with a weight on the bottom and a dropper above that loaded with a nightcrawler (or half). That rig gets picked up by a trout or bass frequently.
Johnson snare spoon is just like a Hali, a bit cheaper and works great, been using them the last few years, work great.
(12-11-2020, 08:55 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I just hope yuba freezes this year
I hope Deer creek freezes this year. Lol. I gotta ice some more walleyes!
Walleye can't be caught through the ice. Trust me I tried at echo last year! I did chase them on deer creek and yuba q few years ago, one of those utah lake 10lbers through the ice would be a riot!
(12-12-2020, 01:42 AM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Walleye can't be caught through the ice. Trust me I tried at echo last year! I did chase them on deer creek and yuba q few years ago, one of those utah lake 10lbers through the ice would be a riot!
I have caught eyes through the ice, it can be done. My best spot is at Deer creek with a couple of spots that I like. I have also iced walleye on Sulphur creek reservoir in Wyoming. No giants yet, but any walleye in my book is a trophy. Biggest so far through the ice for me is 17 inches. I did lose one a few years ago that was in the mid to upper 20-inch range on Deer creek.
Gabe
I always have good luck with ratso, ratfinkee, forage minnow, flutter spoon and  tungsten jig.
if it works from an anchored boat it usually work while standing on ice..
There is some good advice already on here. Here is my list for ice fishing......and the more you go, the more expensive it can get....

First and foremost is gear for you. Warm gear layered. Ski or snowboard pants, something to keep the water out when you kneel down. Gloves that are easily removed. And an absolute MUST is boots with a rubber foot and a LOT of insulation. "Waterproof" hiking boots often don't keep the water out after you've been standing in slush for a while. Poor boots will either end your day early or result in a miserable day if you stick it out.
Now that that is covered.....
As many have said, there are a LOT of options for jigs, lures, or baits. My go to is tube jigs or any of the small 'bug' jigs. Green, white, and glow.
One thing I found is much more important on ice than on a boat (unless you're targeting kokes on a boat) is a fishfinder. It doesn't have to be expensive, just make sure the screen has decent enough resolution to show your jig / lure. I used an old Eagle Ultra Classic for many years with great success. I now switched to a small 4" screen finder for portability. I have it set up in a small tackle box with a 700 mAh 12V battery that lasts the day and then some. You can find a used finder on KSL or facebook, or a new one that will do the job is usually just over $100. The reason I say this is so important is if you are 10' too high or low you could spend all day and catch nothing. I've had many times where I've seen them come in on the finder above or below my rig. I raise or lower it to the right depth, tease them a bit with the jig, and often bring in the fish.
I also agree with comments on getting ice poles and learn what a 'bite' looks like when ice fishing. Often you will just see your line start moving around where it goes into the water. If you don't see that and you aren't there to get the hookset you will never even know the fish was there. My first time on the ice we didn't realize that and we were out throwing a frisbee around waiting for a hit on our poles.
Finally, plan your gear based on how you are getting on the ice. If you are hand dragging everything, minimize the load to cut down on weight. If you have snowmobiles, pile it on. Smile My load I take out has gotten considerably larger with the snowmobiles. Now I just need to make use of them this year.
Thanks everybody for all the advice and invitations. I ended up going to Scofield with a couple buddies and we did pretty good. I think the hottest lure of the day was a paddle bug in glow color. It was pretty good action most of the day. Thanks again everyone. This will definately help a lot.
I just want to add a few things. Two lures that I don't think were mentioned are Atomic Teasers and Kastmasters. The Kastmasters are used as attractors with a dropper and bait. Speaking of bait: use waxworms, meal worms, earthworms (Walmart has the 3" Red Wigglers, which are actually dyed green). For the most part you want to keep your presentations small; I prefer the littler worms, sometimes 1/2 or 1/3, but nightcrawler bits will work too. You almost can't cut too small a piece. Cut bait: chub meat is good at places like Scofield and Strawberry; you can use bigger chunks or strips in these applications. In Utah Lake a little bit of white bass meat on a tungsten jig works well. Perch belly strips and eyes are classics for panfish.

Stick with small spinning reels at first. Later you might want to try in-line reels. 13 Fishing has the Ghost reel for around $70. Cheaper reels can be had but they aren't as user-friendly. I like to use 6-8 lb. line as bigger fish will abraid it by going around and around the hole.

Glow lures are good when you can get them.

You can buy the Snare lures at C-A-L Ranch.

Plan on dressing in layers. You can get quite overheated while dragging your sled across the ice, then freeze when the winds come up, etc. I have shed layers until I was fishing in my T-shirt. Other times I've been chilly even wearing 5-6 layers on top. And don't forget your legs. Insulated long-johns and bibs work well.

If you get serious you will want to get what is called a Smitty sled. Most people build their own. If you're handy it can be a fun project. Google it.

You'll want to learn the best jigging techniques. I don't have it all down yet. Lots of people jig one rod and let one sit still, sometimes using a bobber. Others use a Jaw Jacker for their second rod.

We usually fish out in the open but a shelter (tent) can make a cold/windy day a lot more comfortable. If I get a snowmobile I'll feel a lot better about dragging one along.

If you want to KISS just take some baitholder hooks and a few split shot. Add bait and you are in business.

Two other things to take along are a good sense of humor and a sense of adventure. Keep it fun and don't take yourself too seriously.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Sad 
(12-11-2020, 10:10 PM)joatmon How was Scofield?  I almost went there last weekend.  Ended up at Echo and walked into a tournament.  Stayed anyway.  Got skunked.  I tried everything! Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 08:08 PM)Bigtuna4 Wrote: I'm fairly new to ice fishing and really enjoy it. I was wondering if anyone would share what tackle they have success with. I'm not asking to share your secrets just general tackle used for ice fishing. I generally fish scofield, ottercreek, mammoth, and wanna try yuba this year. I appreciate any advice.

Many (myself included) started ice fishing with our longer poles and whatever jigs and lures we had in the tacklebox.  I drug my stuff along on a kid's sled for the first couple of years.  

After a couple of frustrating trips, I added a short ice fishing pole.  I have found I prefer a medium or medium heavy rod.  Not a fan of the "noodle" rods.  Many of my poles have come from WalMart, and I eventually replace the reels with Quantum Optix 10 reels or Abu Garcia Black Max 10 reels.  Initial auger option for most people is the eskimo 8" hand auger, but many serious fisherman upgrade to power augers.  I upgraded to a propane auger, then last year to a nils auger and Milwaukee hammer drill.

For jigs, lures, spoons, plastics, etc. there are plenty of options.  I think a handful of small painted jigs in several sizes and colors is a good starting point.  I seem to have most luck on white, green, or a fire tiger jigs, but you can find many options out there.  Lead jigs are the standard, but tungsten jigs have made a lot of headway recently (not meaning to open a debate here).  I do like that tungsten jigs sink faster, allowing you to get your presentation down to where the fish are.  You can get two tungsten jigs for just under $2 at Walmart.  I also like Skandia jigs (at Scheels) and shad dart jigs (sometimes available in the jig "drawers" at Sportsmans Warehouse).

For perch, I like the Hallie jigs, but also see a lot of success on small jigs.  Tube jigs and other plastics like curly tail grubs, cuttr bugs, gizillas, etc. have their place.  I quit using them for a while after having a hard time with hooksets.  Have been using them a little this year again with some success.  I think sometimes with that much plastic and some bait on, the fish don't actually get the hook in their mouths.  So maybe less plastic and bait to allow more exposed hook.

At some point, you may want to add a flasher or other fish finder.  This does eliminate some of the guess work about presence and depth of fish.  I started with a Humminbird Ice 35, and added a Marcum M1 last year.  I would definitely consider the Ice 35 over others due to it's larger screen and dual beam option.

I am willing to meet you on the ice so you can see some of what I have in action.  Catchinon and I are headed to Scofield tomorrow morning if you want to join us.  As my user names alludes to, I have a lot of tackle, still trying to master it!