Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview after the storm (1/30)
Went to Pineview this morning. Ice is at least 12" thick in most places and the Perch seemed to be a big bigger compared to what they normally are (not that that's saying much! Big Grin ) If you go, be sure to bring a swimsuit as there is 3-4 inches of watery slush that you will get to swim through everywhere you go.

I'll also note that while the bite always seems to be super lite at Pineview, today it was ridiculously so. I was only able to detect the bites on my ultra lite rod, and even then it was incredibly subtle.
(01-30-2021, 11:22 PM)Jonthecook Wrote: Went to Pineview this morning. Ice is at least 12" thick in most places and the Perch seemed to be a big bigger compared to what they normally are (not that that's saying much! Big Grin ) If you go, be sure to bring a swimsuit as there is 3-4 inches of watery slush that you will get to swim through everywhere you go.

I'll also note that while the bite always seems to be super lite at Pineview, today it was ridiculously so. I was only able to detect the bites on my ultra lite rod, and even then it was incredibly subtle.
Yeah We arrived at 2 o’clock and tried taking my snow dog from the port ramp to North cemetery point. The slush was so bad halfway across I got stuck and had to unhook and do an about face and go back. We found a high spot to setup and fish.  I brought my 10-year-old grandson with me for his first ice fishing trip. The bite was so light it was hard to teach him when to set the hook. But he finally caught on and managed to land three perch by the time we left. Smile
I went out with my son and BIL. Didn't get to Port Ramp until 6:30 and wasn't fishing till 7:00ish. Reports of the slush are accurate. 4-6" off the stuff. Just barely made it out on my 4 wheeler. Good 10" of clear ice below.

Crappie bit well between about 8-9. Other than that is was slow. We were off North Cemetery too in a out 45 FOW. Perch colored glow Halis were by far the best. My son and I landed 15 between us. My BIL doesn't know how to fish for panfish...he's a trout guy and never landed anything. Probably missed double what we landed.
(01-31-2021, 03:12 AM)Lamb Chops Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 11:22 PM)Jonthecook Wrote: Went to Pineview this morning. Ice is at least 12" thick in most places and the Perch seemed to be a big bigger compared to what they normally are (not that that's saying much! Big Grin ) If you go, be sure to bring a swimsuit as there is 3-4 inches of watery slush that you will get to swim through everywhere you go.

Yeah We arrived at 2 o’clock and tried taking my snow dog from the port ramp to North cemetery point. The slush was so bad halfway across I got stuck and had to unhook and do an about face and go back. We found a high spot to setup and fish.  I brought my 10-year-old grandson with me for his first ice fishing trip. The bite was so light it was hard to teach him when to set the hook. But he finally caught on and managed to land three perch by the time we left. Smile
I’m new owner of snowdog and still learning what it can and can’t do.   Did you have studs on the track?  Would that have made any difference? I was in a about ankle deep slush yesterday and did fine but do you ever get used to that feeling when you first hit it? What is the most extreme condition you’ve had snowdog perform well in?  

how long did you fish for? How deep were you? Did you tip jig with any bait?
What would be your 4-5 hr timeslot to fish at pineview?  Any species.
Appreciate any info.... thanks!
We were there PM. If I had 5 hours, I would fish from 4-9. Before dark you'll pick up perch and a few crappie. After dark, pretty much just crappie. Seems to be a decent bite right before and after dark (for crappie) and then it picks up again sometime between 8-9:30. Glow stuff definitely helps. As said, they like the green/yellow perch colored glow Halis. We had a few hit the top jig being a white glow rat finkie or glow chartreuse tungsten tear drop jig, but most hit the Hali tipped with a small piece of worm. Find 40 FOW or deeper. We were in 45 last night, but fish were suspending in the 30-35 foot range. We caught some dead stick but very subtle jigging seemed to help. The bite is VERY light! If you don't have a spring bobber or are using anything bigger than light of ultra light action stuff, there's a good chance you won't see or feel it.

Good luck. The slush monster is in full effect, so be careful you don't get stuck!!
(01-31-2021, 03:33 PM)YZeroid Wrote:

I’m new owner of snowdog and still learning what it can and can’t do.   Did you have studs on the track?  Would that have made any difference? I was in a about ankle deep slush yesterday and did fine but do you ever get used to that feeling when you first hit it? What is the most extreme condition you’ve had snowdog perform well in?  

Studs will not help in slush.  I have over a 100 studs in my track. 
The good thing is that a Snowdog will just get stuck closer to shore than a snowmobile or quad. 
I have had my Snowdog go through powder up to the top of the machine, but you have to stomp down a ramp to get it out sometimes. 
A used snowmobile or quad is better than a Snowdog, if you have the room to store a trailer and a machine.
I have had all three and each has there place for ice fishing, but overall a used snowmobile, roughly the same price as the Original Snowdog w/reverse is the best way to go. 
I have had my Snowdog from the very first year there were sold in the USA from Russia.
(01-31-2021, 04:07 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: We were there PM.  If I had 5 hours, I would fish from 4-9.  Before dark you'll pick up perch and a few crappie.  After dark, pretty much just crappie.  Seems to be a decent bite right before and after dark (for crappie) and then it picks up again sometime between 8-9:30.  Glow stuff definitely helps.  As said, they like the green/yellow perch colored glow Halis.  We had a few hit the top jig being a white glow rat finkie or glow chartreuse tungsten tear drop jig, but most hit the Hali tipped with a small piece of worm.  Find 40 FOW or deeper.  We were in 45 last night, but fish were suspending in the 30-35 foot range.  We caught some dead stick but very subtle jigging seemed to help.  The bite is VERY light!  If you don't have a spring bobber or are using anything bigger than light of ultra light action stuff, there's a good chance you won't see or feel it.

Good luck.  The slush monster is in full effect, so be careful you don't get stuck!!
Thanks so much for the info!

(01-31-2021, 04:21 PM)Jayweymouth1 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 03:33 PM)YZeroid Wrote:

Studs will not help in slush.  I have over a 100 studs in my track. 
The good thing is that a Snowdog will just get stuck closer to shore than a snowmobile or quad. 
I have had my Snowdog go through powder up to the top of the machine, but you have to stomp down a ramp to get it out sometimes. 
A used snowmobile or quad is better than a Snowdog, if you have the room to store a trailer and a machine.
I have had all three and each has there place for ice fishing, but overall a used snowmobile, roughly the same price as the Original Snowdog w/reverse is the best way to go. 
I have had my Snowdog from the very first year there were sold in the USA from Russia.
Haha. That’s funny....thanks, I will keep that in mind....I do have four wheelers but the dog and three sleds all fit in the bed with gear.  Which is nice...... thanks again