Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake 1/30/21
Catchinon and I hit Fish Lake on Saturday 1/30/21.  Fished off the south end, out from the Lakeside Marina.  Fished primarily in 14-17 fow, trying to stay on the weed line.  We caught mostly splake in the 10-14-inch range, but also a few rainbows (10-12") and perch (5-6").  Best bait seemed to be small pieces of perch meat with skin on.  Used various small tungsten jigs, ratfinkees, etc. with white or green and white working best for us.  

We did mark many fish that wouldn't bite.  I fished early and late in 40-46 fow, seeing fish on the bottom that wouldn't bite on any lure/tube/plastic I used, tipped with every kind of worm and cut bait we had.  I did end up catching the smallest splake of the day (8") at about 16 feet down over 40 fow.

The wind was stiff at times, and blew most of the day from a variety of locations.  ALmost had to help a neighbor chase his tent, but he was able to get it back under control.  

Slow and steady catching pace (15 total between the two of us), not really seeing large time gaps with no bites or at least fish on the flashers.  

Worth it?  Yes, to misquote Wayne Gretzky - "you miss 100% of the fish when your line isn't in the water" (actual quote - "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take")

jack of all tackle, master of none
Good report guys! Happy birthday to Craig, im hitting fish lake in a couple weeks so hopefully the bigger fish are just taking a break
What a nice Birthday Present for Catchinon!  Thanks for the report. 

Myself and Lip Rippin Rino were also there at Fishing Lake with a couple of our boys.  Rino started at Mackinaw Bay Friday night he started in 45 feet of water.  Around 2 nothing.  He moved into about 10' FOW and things started heating up with the 10 in Splakes, Perch and the Utah sucker. 

The next morning I heading out to Mackinaw Bay started fishing in 72' FOW looking for the Kokes and some puppies.  Instead got a fat rainbow.  Many schools of Fish passed through the water column at 10 Feet.  But not many takers. 

Moved in to 25' FOW and got into some perch and splake moved into 18' - moved into 10' FOW  - Lip Rippin Rino came back out for the afternoon bite.  We fished until the evening.  A few Perch here and there a few small splake and rainbows, but nothing real big. 

Overall it was my least productive Fish Lake Trip - talked to other anglers who also said it was pretty slow and even the perch bite was slow and seems to be a little off this year compared to most days and years. 

I still go down there again tomorrow - and try another part of the lake.   

And we stayed in Salina - Which is Spanish for The Salt Mine...  The night before we ate at this restaurant  El Mexicano  - best Mexican food around bar none.  Check it out next time you are passing through.   

[Image: 20210130-173002.jpg]

[Image: 20210130-112939.jpg]