Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent Strawberry report?
Hi. Does anyone have a report on Strawberry since these storms have been passing through over the last couple of days? What is working? Depth? Ice and road conditions? 

I'll be up there Friday and will take the snowmobiles out from the marina, but don't plan on going too far as I have a couple of kids with me and don't totally trust my sleds yet. Smile

Thanks!
(01-27-2021, 02:59 PM)addicted2fishin Wrote: Hi. Does anyone have a report on Strawberry since these storms have been passing through over the last couple of days? What is working? Depth? Ice and road conditions? 

I'll be up there Friday and will take the snowmobiles out from the marina, but don't plan on going too far as I have a couple of kids with me and don't totally trust my sleds yet. Smile

Thanks!

I was up there on Wednesday.  Did not fish from the marina though.  Caught 20, used green tube jig, green grub, white grub, and orange and chartreuse pout.  Most of these are Lakeshore Tackle Ned's bait box plastics.  I've had a lot of success with a white tube but wanted to give some other options a try this trip.  I fished in 40 FOW but fish were caught 25ft and up.  There was about 4in of snow an top of 18in of ice.   Road conditions were good on the way up but got a little hairy with snow on the way down Daniels.  Good luck!![Image: PXL-20210127-180719409-1837.jpg][Image: PXL-20210127-195439723-MP-1838.jpg]
(01-28-2021, 04:22 PM)knottyhookr Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 02:59 PM)addicted2fishin Wrote: Hi. Does anyone have a report on Strawberry since these storms have been passing through over the last couple of days? What is working? Depth? Ice and road conditions? 

Thanks!

I was up there on Wednesday.  Did not fish from the marina though.  Caught 20, used green tube jig, green grub, white grub, and orange and chartreuse pout.  Most of these are Lakeshore Tackle Ned's bait box plastics.  I've had a lot of success with a white tube but wanted to give some other options a try this trip.  I fished in 40 FOW but fish were caught 25ft and up.  There was about 4in of snow an top of 18in of ice.   Road conditions were good on the way up but got a little hairy with snow on the way down Daniels.  Good luck!![Image: PXL-20210127-180719409-1837.jpg][Image: PXL-20210127-195439723-MP-1838.jpg]

Thank you for the info. That is helpful. Hopefully we can get into some tomorrow. Depending on how tomorrow goes, we have a much larger crowd going up Saturday. If it's too slow we may redirect to Echo or Rockport for Saturday to try to get the kids into some perch. I would also consider Pineview, but it's a longer drive from Heber (my hotel for the night) and the parking issues up there wouldn't be fun with a 24' snowmobile trailer. 
Anyone else from here heading up tomorrow?
If you do Pineview, should be plenty of room for your trailer at the Port Ramp.
REPORT: So we hit Strawberry for the day on Friday. Snow and ice conditions were good for ice fishing, not good for snowpack. As mentioned, there was around 18" of ice and 4" of snow on top, no slush. 
Fishing was slow at best. With around 10 or more poles in the water in our group (depending on when the kids wanted to fish or just play in the snow) we went the day with only a few light bites and only one hookup. The one fish came on some cheapo pole that was destined for D.I. so I grabbed it. It's one of those plastic poles with a plastic reel you turn one way to reel in and the other to reel out. It had a bare #8 hook on it so I just threw on a small sinker and a small piece of shrimp meat and dropped it down the same hole as my transducer. I would occasionally drop it down slowly or reel it up slowly and watch the graph. A couple of times I saw a fish check it out and was able to hook one. It was about a 20" cutt and was hooked through the thin skin on the lip, so thin you could see the hook through the skin. Still, somehow I got it on the ice without ripping through that skin. 
That was it for the day. 
Got the sleds back on the trailer and hit the road just after dark in a whiteout storm and ended up going down Daniels behind a semi doing no more than 25mph the whole way down. 

WARNING: DWR was there all afternoon checking fish, sled registrations, helmets on kids riding machines, etc.. One in our group saw them ticketing one person and it looked to be for lack of a helmet on a teenager. 

Saturday we hit Rockport with even worse success. We marked very few fish on the graph at several different depths / locations and not a single noticeable bite. There were quite a few people there, but not packed, and we didn't see anyone else bringing in fish either. We talked to one or two people that said they had caught one or two fish all day, and many others with nothing. 

Here's hoping I can get out again soon to redeem this past weekend. For just the one fish that was an expensive trip. Smile
(02-01-2021, 06:15 PM)addicted2fishin Wrote: REPORT: So we hit Strawberry for the day on Friday. Snow and ice conditions were good for ice fishing, not good for snowpack. As mentioned, there was around 18" of ice and 4" of snow on top, no slush. 
Fishing was slow at best. With around 10 or more poles in the water in our group (depending on when the kids wanted to fish or just play in the snow) we went the day with only a few light bites and only one hookup. The one fish came on some cheapo pole that was destined for D.I. so I grabbed it. It's one of those plastic poles with a plastic reel you turn one way to reel in and the other to reel out. It had a bare #8 hook on it so I just threw on a small sinker and a small piece of shrimp meat and dropped it down the same hole as my transducer. I would occasionally drop it down slowly or reel it up slowly and watch the graph. A couple of times I saw a fish check it out and was able to hook one. It was about a 20" cutt and was hooked through the thin skin on the lip, so thin you could see the hook through the skin. Still, somehow I got it on the ice without ripping through that skin. 
That was it for the day. 
Got the sleds back on the trailer and hit the road just after dark in a whiteout storm and ended up going down Daniels behind a semi doing no more than 25mph the whole way down. 

WARNING: DWR was there all afternoon checking fish, sled registrations, helmets on kids riding machines, etc.. One in our group saw them ticketing one person and it looked to be for lack of a helmet on a teenager. 

Saturday we hit Rockport with even worse success. We marked very few fish on the graph at several different depths / locations and not a
single noticeable bite. There were quite a few people there, but not packed, and we didn't see anyone else bringing in fish either. We talked to one or two people that said they had caught one or two fish all day, and many others with nothing. 

Here's hoping I can get out again soon to redeem this past weekend. For just the one fish that was an expensive trip. Smile

Your report on Rockport was interesting. I was also there on Saturday with a large group. Most of us had a great day with constant rainbow action until about 2. Then we moved to deeper water and caught plenty of nice perch. I guess location, location, location?? Thanks for your report on both lakes.
(02-01-2021, 08:44 PM)JBSPARKIE Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 06:15 PM)addicted2fishin Wrote: REPORT: So we hit Strawberry for the day on Friday. Snow and ice conditions were good for ice fishing, not good for snowpack. As mentioned, there was around 18" of ice and 4" of snow on top, no slush. 
That was it for the day. 

Saturday we hit Rockport with even worse success. We marked very few fish on the graph at several different depths / locations and not a
single noticeable bite. There were quite a few people there, but not packed, and we didn't see anyone else bringing in fish either. We talked to one or two people that said they had caught one or two fish all day, and many others with nothing. 

Your report on Rockport was interesting. I was also there on Saturday with a large group. Most of us had a great day with constant rainbow action until about 2. Then we moved to deeper water and caught plenty of nice perch. I guess location, location, location?? Thanks for your report on both lakes.

Do you mind sharing where on Rockport? Like I said, we had nothing, and nobody around us had anything either. We are hoping to head back up again soon to try to redeem ourselves and our egos.
Sure. We fished the south end in 12FOW in the AM. Trout were taking all the usual stuff. some on bottom and most at 7'. Then in 35 to 40 FOW on the west side about in the middle. We were the only snow dog on the lake that I saw Saturday so you may have seen us shuttling our people back and forth to the ramp. We were at strawberry the previous Saturday and fished Haws point on the east side of the preasure ridge. We did very well there on white plastics tipped with milworm.