Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Love Lost Creek 2/5
Lost Creek has always been one of my favorite places to fish. I made the trek up this morning with the intent of making the long hike into the back of the reservoir.  Not a very sane thing to do, but my wife and I did well back there in the summer. JArner texted me the evening before and I said he was welcome to come, but I gave him a hearty warning of my intentions. I also threw in a disclaimer that I couldn't guarantee the fishing would be any good.  He still showed up.

Google earth shows it was 1.5 miles one way  to the spot I wanted to fish.  I went further.  Not a smart thing, especially with lots of slush spots back.there.  But snowmobiles had been back there and made some trails that made walking OK, but still brutal.

Weather sucked.  The wind blew hard and the snow was drifting.  Thank goodness for shelters with tie downs.  Fishing was slow at first but a nice 19.5 cutt was the second fish.  A fat 14 inch bow came next.  Then the bruiser came to play.  Just taped a tiny bit short of 23".  About lost it at the hole as the hook popped out.  But I made a two handed grab and pulled it up through the hole.  A big beautiful Cutt with great colors. Who needs to go to the Berry for a slot buster? Got one out of good old Lost Creek today.  I ended up catching about 15 fish total, most below the slot with just a few more bows than cutts.

The hike back was worse than the hike in.  Right into the face of the blizzard.  The blowing snow had covered most of the snowmobile tracks.  That was a looooong hike back.  [Image: 20210205-080233.jpg][Image: received-3447284345397809.jpg]

[/url]
[Image: received-835309980649324.jpg]

[url=https://ibb.co/ng8GkpC][Image: received-422955479157843.jpg]
Thanks for the report and photos.  It looks like the effort was well worth it.  Great looking fish.

Lost Creek is one of my favorites too.  Too bad you just can't drive to the top end of the reservoir. Angry  
That sounds miserably fun..... Beautiful fish wow!
How late in the year can you icefish lost creek typically?
Never been there but would like try it out at least once if I can.
Thanks!
Heading to RP in the morning for another try at some perch. Will report as well.
Great looking fish Jig-fisher, nice work.
(02-06-2021, 12:07 AM)gofish435 Wrote: Thanks for the report and photos.  It looks like the effort was well worth it.  Great looking fish.

Lost Creek is one of my favorites too.  Too bad you just can't drive to the top end of the reservoir. Angry  
Thanks.  I wish you could drive back as well.  Many fun memories driving back there as a family to fish.  Was Sad when they gated it off.

(02-06-2021, 01:06 AM)DailyAngler Wrote: Great looking fish Jig-fisher, nice work.
Thanks.   Tugged like a champ.

(02-06-2021, 12:10 AM)Zeroid Wrote: That sounds miserably fun.....  Beautiful fish wow!
How late in the year can you icefish lost creek typically?
Never been there but would like try it out at least once if I can.
Thanks!
Heading to RP in the morning for another try at some perch.  Will report as well.
Thanks. There is usually safe ice into March.  There was a good 15  inches back where we were fishing.
Nice fish Jig. Any signs of splake swimming around? Been thinking of going after them up there, but haven’t seen any reports of any caught. May just have to head to Fish Lake?
(02-06-2021, 02:56 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Nice fish Jig. Any signs of splake swimming around? Been thinking of going after them up there, but haven’t seen any reports of any caught. May just have to head to Fish Lake?
Thanks.  I didn't have any give an appearance.  I have only seen a couple of people post that they have caught any.  Those were on Facebook.  Not much size to them.
Hey good news. First I’ve heard of any coming out this year. Thanks.
Finally trying to catch up on my BFT threads this morning. That hike out was awful, and I probably should have stuck around you after you caught that monster. I ended up brushing the skunk off before pulling up stakes, but just barely. Congratulations on that slot buster, glad I was there to see it.
Nice to hear you had a great day!  Great looking fish.  I had never been to Lost Creek and I tried to go on Friday as well, but we got stuck back by the boat ramp and never got on the ice.  It broke my heart.  Looking to go back again soon.
~ A bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office ~
(02-08-2021, 04:25 PM)Bertrum13 Wrote: Nice to hear you had a great day!  Great looking fish.  I had never been to Lost Creek and I tried to go on Friday as well, but we got stuck back by the boat ramp and never got on the ice.  It broke my heart.  Looking to go back again soon.
Thanks. Sorry to hear that your first trip ended up being a bust.  That snow was drifting by the time I left. I can't imagine getting stuck back by the ramp. Hopefully next time will be better.