Poll: What kind of trout is this?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Rainbow Trout
8.33%
1 8.33%
Cutthroat Trout
91.67%
11 91.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of trout is this?
What's up awesome fisherman! I need your guys's help... My friend was up at strawberry last Saturday and caught this fish. He swears it's a rainbow but I'm almost 100% sure it's a cutthroat. What do you guys think?[Image: Screenshot-20210206-155558.jpg]
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
Sorry, but I don't understand the debate.  It is clearly a cutthroat. The coloring, on the sides, is typical cutthroat and the anal fin is orange.
Absolutely a cutty.
(02-07-2021, 09:26 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Sorry, but I don't understand the debate.  It is clearly a cutthroat. The coloring, on the sides, is typical cutthroat and the anal fin is orange.
I know it's RIDICULOUS!
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
hope he did not keep it, you see people taking them home a lot thinking they are rainbows
100% cutthroat I really don’t see how people can mistake a cutthroat for a rainbow they look very different. Wishful thinking is all I think.
Cutthroat.  If it has big black round spots, it's a cutthroat.
(02-08-2021, 03:52 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote: 100% cutthroat I really don’t see how people can mistake a cutthroat for a rainbow they look very different. Wishful thinking is all I think.
I know. I was REALLY surprised that he could argue that!
I think you need to ask him exactly how he thought that is a rainbow and then report back with the answer. Then, have him go look at lots of cutt and rainbow pics, so he doesn't make the same boo boo twice. Telling the difference is pretty easy, and he's angling for some steep fines if he doesn't learn soon.
(02-08-2021, 10:00 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: I think you need to ask him exactly how he thought that is a rainbow and then report back with the answer.  Then, have him go look at lots of cutt and rainbow pics, so he doesn't make the same boo boo twice.  Telling the difference is pretty easy, and he's angling for some steep fines if he doesn't learn soon.
Two things people need to learn: 1) The difference between the trout species, specifically the rainbow vs. cutthroat & rainbow vs. kokanee; and 2) What the "slot" regulations mean.  Saw a guy get slammed by DWR because he understood the "slot" to be that he could only keep fish that were between 15" and 22".  He had never picked up a fishing regulation guide himself, and was only going off of what he understood of what he was told by someone else regarding the "slot" on this particular body of water.  It wasn't pretty.
~ A bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office ~
CUTTHROAT NO DOUBT Not to be rude or offensive, but anyone that would have any question on what species of fish that is should not be fishing a lake where it is required to know. IT took less than a second looking at the thumbnail picture to make the call. As mentioned before by another poster, I see far too many people keeping "in the slot cutts" and even arguing that they are rainbows. But maybe they should let people keep a couple of them and go home, many kill more than 2 every trip out due to mishandling. But that is another story for another day.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(02-08-2021, 10:00 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: I think you need to ask him exactly how he thought that is a rainbow and then report back with the answer.  Then, have him go look at lots of cutt and rainbow pics, so he doesn't make the same boo boo twice.  Telling the difference is pretty easy, and he's angling for some steep fines if he doesn't learn soon.
I showed him this thread and thinks that you all are wrong or lying. Fortunately, he released the fish. But he needs to work on his fish identification skills.

(02-09-2021, 05:54 PM)Mildog Wrote: CUTTHROAT NO DOUBT  Not to be rude or offensive, but anyone that would have any question on what species of fish that is should not be fishing a lake where it is required to know. IT took less than a second looking at the thumbnail picture to make the call. As mentioned before by another poster, I see far too many people keeping "in the slot cutts" and even arguing that they are rainbows. But maybe they should let people keep a couple of them and go home, many kill more than 2 every trip out due to mishandling. But that is another story for another day.
That is why I posted this thread. SO that I could educate him when he didn't believe me. However, he thinks that everyone who replied to tis thread is wrong or lying so... At least he released the fish.
(02-10-2021, 05:33 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote:
I showed him this thread and thinks that you all are wrong or lying. Fortunately, he released the fish. But he needs to work on his fish identification skills.

(02-09-2021, 05:54 PM)Mildog Wrote: CUTTHROAT NO DOUBT  Not to be rude or offensive, but anyone that would have any question on what species of fish that is should not be fishing a lake where it is required to know. IT took less than a second looking at the thumbnail picture to make the call. As mentioned before by another poster, I see far too many people keeping "in the slot cutts" and even arguing that they are rainbows. But maybe they should let people keep a couple of them and go home, many kill more than 2 every trip out due to mishandling. But that is another story for another day.
That is why I posted this thread. SO that I could educate him when he didn't believe me. However, he thinks that everyone who replied to tis thread is wrong or lying so... At least he released the fish.

Tell your friend to stopping digging the hole deeper. He may need to get his eyes checked too!
I agree! He HATES being wrong so he probably knows he is wrong and wont admit it...
looks like this summer I will need to take you guys to strawberry fishing for kokanee
you will see a lot of cuts and not very many rainbows
the bad thing about going with me is you may want to buy a boat with what I have.
start saving your money.  and pay cash for all the toys you buy.
(02-11-2021, 06:19 PM)liketrolling Wrote: looks like this summer I will need to take you guys to strawberry fishing for kokanee
you will see a lot of cuts and not very many rainbows
the bad thing about going with me is you may want to buy a boat with what I have.
start saving your money.  and pay cash for all the toys you buy.
My grandpa has a full out kokanee set up. He fishes at the gorge all the time and It has made my REALLY want all that gear! I am pretty surprised that he still thinks that the fish he caught was a rainbow! (He doesn't like being wrong!)