Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Need your help with Walleye.
(02-10-2021, 08:44 PM)_6x_ Wrote: Here is a strange story.  Around three years ago, everyone was catching walleye in Utah Lake.  Just drive the state park at dusk and there were rows of people lining up, catching walleye.  This was sometime in April.  I worried at time time that the walleye in Utah Lake were going to be like the buffalo ca. 1865.  Most people thought that was a silly worry.

Maybe it was, and maybe I'm just not smart enough to find the walleye, but I have not only not caught a walleye in Utah Lake since, but I haven't even seen a walleye caught since.  I don't know what has been different.  It seems to me like they are gone.  But maybe I don't understand the spawn well enough, or else have missed it, or something like that.  I also hear rumors from time to time that a similar event happens at the Provo's mouth in Deer Creek, but have never timed that right, either.

In general I find walleye much more elusive than bass and trout, but that may be that I didn't grow up fishing for them.
6x - here is a funny story to go with your strange story.  I was fishing one of the UL tributaries last year during the WB spawn.  My jig got bumped and I set the hook knowing immediately that there was no WB on the end of my line.  I was fishing 6lb test and the fish started taking line but after about 10 minutes I got it close enough to determine that it was indeed a walleye, and I about freaked.  No net to land it, so was praying that my line would hold out in her toothy mouth. Finally, I landed her and it was a 8.75 lb fish...far surpassing the dozen or so WB on the stringer.  I probably should have thrown her back, but I don't catch walleye...in fact it had probably been 8-10 years since my last "eye" and they are way to good on the dinner plate!  In fact, she provided 2 dinners for our family of 4...man, are they good!

So...there WAS at least one walleye in the UL ecosystem last year Wink

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Need your help with Walleye. - by TubeDude - 02-10-2021, 07:59 PM
RE: I Need your help with Walleye. - by _6x_ - 02-10-2021, 08:44 PM
RE: I Need your help with Walleye. - by TubeDude - 02-10-2021, 09:44 PM
RE: I Need your help with Walleye. - by MWScott72 - 02-10-2021, 09:44 PM
RE: I Need your help with Walleye. - by Mildog - 02-10-2021, 10:28 PM
RE: I Need your help with Walleye. - by TubeDude - 02-10-2021, 11:20 PM
RE: I Need your help with Walleye. - by Therapist - 02-10-2021, 11:34 PM
RE: I Need your help with Walleye. - by TubeDude - 02-10-2021, 11:49 PM