Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry/leatherman rescues snowdog
Arrived at the Berry about 7 am with Kent. Loaded up the sleds behind my dog and headed out onto the ice. Immediately I knew something was wrong when I couldn't get any rpms. I was pulling just 3 sleds(a moderate load) but only moving about 2 mph with heavy exhaust fumes. Hoping it would correct itself, we continued out about 100 yards before I decided to stop and consider heading back before going out farther and getting stranded with a fouled plug. Checking out the problem, I realized that the choke cable had frozen wide open. Enter Kent to the rescue with his leatherman pliers. After disconnecting the cable and manually closing the choke, we were back to normal operations for the dog. Lesson 1: bring a few tools. 
     As I powered up and turned to head back out to deep water, Kent fell from second sled and hit his head on the third sled. Glad he is hard headed and was ok. Lesson 2: make slow turns with passengers. 
     Arrived at his special spot and set up our tents (2 for covid concerns) in 6 inches of snow on 2 inches of slush and 14 inches of ice. Wind was about 8 mph. I shoveled away the snow and slush to set up my tent. Within minutes I had 1/2 inch of water on the ice inside the tent. By the end of the day it was over 1 1/2 inch of water and things were beginning to float. Lesson 3: don't remove snow from slush, pitch tent on the snow. 
      About an hour after we arrived the wind picked up to 20 mph with higher gusts to about 30 mph.. About 2 pm we pack it in. I scored 6 cutts in the slot. Not sure about Kent. He had at least 7 by noon. 
      Strange thing is that twice I had a large cutt bumping my transducer just under the ice. 
      I learned a lot today. Thanks Kent for the invite and the rescue.
      PS. I had tried to squirt cable lube in all the cables  and drive chain prior to the trip.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Pretty crazy start that's for sure Burley, good thing Kent had the hard head on today and even better he rescued the dog. That dang wind has been let's just say a pain in the rear to put it lightly this year. I like to unhook the gear and make a few loops pushing it down on the sled before I set my spot up when there any layers of slush around. Keeps that overflow at bay.  Dog loops should pack it similar to my 500 trail model. Belive it or not I've had them cuts attack my LX7 transducer there once before also, multiple times in one trip. Really weird. Sounds like that hard deck is holding out to have at least 1 more camp trip in this year along with a few day trips of course. Thanks for the report.
I had 2 fish hit my transducer a few weeks ago when I was up there as well.  The 1st one made me jump as my transducer float flung to the side and popped against the side of the hole.  I reeled up quick and caught the fish  just under the ice.  The second time I had a fish biting near the bottom so didn't have a chance to reel up.
Yep, it was indeed a tough day. The truth of the story was that Hue gave it a little too much throttle, after he was already turned (I guess he was excited that his Snowdog was finally responding that he got anxious to get going) and that flipped me and my chair over backwards and out of the sled. Lesson learned, purchasing the official chairs, from Snowdog, (assuming they can be anchored down) may not be a bad idea.

I struggled to catch 13 (I know unlucky), lost two trying to get their heads up through the ice, and had about 8 long releases.

With that wind, it was really nice being in a tent.

Great getting out again with Hue and we are used to every trip being a wild ride (in one way or another).
(02-12-2021, 02:25 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Yep, it was indeed a tough day.  The truth of the story was that Hue gave it a little too much throttle, after he was already turned (I guess he was excited that his Snowdog was finally responding that he got anxious to get going) and that flipped me and my chair over backwards and out of the sled.  Lesson learned, purchasing the official chairs, from Snowdog, (assuming they can be anchored down) may not be a bad idea. 

I struggled to catch 13 (I know unlucky), lost two trying to get their heads up through the ice, and had about 8 long releases. 

With that wind, it was really nice being in a tent.

Great getting out again with Hue and we are used to every trip being a wild ride (in one way or another).
I have only pulled another person twice now with my dog.  They sit on a packer case and boat cushion in the third sled.  I always go slow to lessen the likelihood of tossing the passenger on the hard deck.  Older bodies don't take to that very well.   Big Grin

Oh, and what Matt said about packing down the snow before setting up the tent.  NEVER clean off the ice when slush is present as it makes for a miserable experience.  Don't ask how I know this.   Sad
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
After hearing about Musky and Jig also having Cutts attack their xducers, is it time for a new electronic lure that emits similar frequencies? TubeDude, here is a new lure to challenge your creativeness. 

I had problems staying hooked up to the fish. I just had a hard time setting the hook deep enough using too lite of rods I guess and they would shake off when I lowered the rod to start reeling. Needs more backbone on my rods.

I have been using a new attracter this year that seems to help get attention. It is a Dr. Fish LED fishing spoon. It has flashing  LEDs that turn on when the spoon is wet and turns off after drying. An alternative to glow gear that needs light recharging. I used it for perch at Willard, Cutts at Smith Morehouse, and now at Strawberry. More testing to come, but so far I believe it helps, especially in deep water. I got them on Amazon,  5 for $15. They look like a large perch eye on a gold spoon and flash green, blue, and red. Several lure styles are available.

https://youtu.be/NvyaxzM-uOE

[Image: MVI-1329-Moment-2.jpg]

[Image: MVI-1329-Moment-4.jpg]

[Image: MVI-1329-Moment-9.jpg]
(02-12-2021, 03:59 PM)BURLEY Wrote: After hearing about Musky and Jig also having Cutts attack their xducers, is it time for a new electronic lure that emits similar frequencies? TubeDude, here is a new lure to challenge your creativeness. 

I had problems staying hooked up to the fish. I just had a hard time setting the hook deep enough using too lite of rods I guess and they would shake off when I lowered the rod to start reeling. Needs more backbone on my rods.
Not sure that rigging an old 'ducer with trebles  would be very effective.  But a lot of guys who fish for aggressive meat-eating fish (like cutts) find it effective to jig with one rod...with a noisy rattling lure...to attract fish into a second rod with some sexy bait on another lure.  Really active fish will smack the rattling lure.
[Image: BIG-LURE.jpg]

About the hook setting thing.  I have been on a soapbox for years about ice anglers using rods that are too short and too wimpy for effective hook-setting.  I like to use the example of putting a nail in a board.  You don't push it in...you HAMMER it in.  If you are fishing for larger fish...with tough mouths...in deeper water...you need a rod with some backbone.  And good non-stretch line.  Make a good hard hookset, reel down to bring the line tight and then give it a second hookset.  You will bring a lot more fish to the hole...with fewer long distance releases.

Oh yeah, having good sharp hooks helps too.
Sounds like you guys had quite the adventure out there. I was at the Berry on Wednesday under mostly sunny conditions and a bit of wind which wasn't bad if you had your back to it. No tents since it was a nice day and to avoid wearing a mask since I was with an old friend.

I also noticed that a fish was bumping my transducer, we were in 76' of water and I was around the 55' range when it happened. I hooked up with a fish just after it happened so I didn't reel in to catch the one bumping my gear.
(02-12-2021, 09:58 PM)JArner Wrote: Sounds like you guys had quite the adventure out there. I was at the Berry on Wednesday under mostly sunny conditions and a bit of wind which wasn't bad if you had your back to it. No tents since it was a nice day and to avoid wearing a mask since I was with an old friend.

I also noticed that a fish was bumping my transducer, we were in 76' of water and I was around the 55' range when it happened. I hooked up with a fish just after it happened so I didn't reel in to catch the one bumping my gear.
The old fishing story of "you should have been there yesterday". Then again " any day fishing...". 

I wonder how long before a fish caller or lure will be made using sonar.  Confused Maybe after all of the slot cutts being caught and released, they have learned that the transducers are their enemy's weapon that they need to attack. Live and learn?