Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long weekend trip
So for the first time ever my company is giving us Presidents day off! (YAY!). And my wife is giving me a hall pass from Valentines day!!! Heart Bless her heart. Shes a good woman that supports my fishing addiction. Rolleyes

So the plan is to hit Hyrum at 7 on Saturday and fish until 1 or 2. If there are any other BFT Members around up there, I am the guy with the green camo Snowdog. Stop and say hello or fish with us a while. I would love to meet new people.  Hopefully we can figure out where to get on the ice with all the reports of soft edges.

From Hyrum we will be heading towards Bear Lake where our accommodations are for 2 nights. Possibly may try the Garden city pond for a couple hours before retiring for the evening.

The plan Sunday is to make it to Birch Creek early. I have not seen much for reports, but we will give it a try. There is also Woodruff and Randolph Res that look like options for on the way home Monday.

Anyway. If anyone has any input/report/experience with any of the above locations, I would like to hear from you. Thanks
Sounds like a great trip. I will do the frezzer dance for ya to see if we can tighten up those edges for your trip.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(02-12-2021, 03:09 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Sounds like a great trip. I will do the frezzer dance for ya to see if we can tighten up those edges for your trip.
Well Cowboypirate, your freezer dance did not work.

Arrived at Hyrum at 7 Saturday. Confused Ice conditions horrible. No chance of getting on. So we headed up to birch creek. Hardly any snow on the dam. We made a test hike up to see if we could find a good trail to get the Snowdog up. I made a test run with empty sleds. Lets just say that there was no way we were going to get our gear up there let alone my 78 year old father. Just as I was making the scary return down the dam a DWR officer showed up. By this time it was about 11AM. He told us we were wasting our time with Birch creek as it has not been fishing well at all. He recommended we try Randolph Res.

So finally by 1PM we were fishing. Angry Smile Smile . There were about 6 other groups on the lake when. The Ice was about 24". We were fishing in 12 FOW. It was consistent rainbows from 6" to 17" until we pulled out at 4:30. We had so much fun that we just decided to head back on Sunday for the day.

Got to Randolph Res about 7:30 as the roads were slick coming from Bear Lake. Another great day all day for our group of 5. We lost track but I am guessing it was a 60 fish per day trip for everyone. And we had the lake to our selves all day. Left the Lake at 4:30.

Headed out Monday morning for home. 2 of us stopped at Echo for a few hours of fishing as the other guys were exhausted. Got on the lake about 10:30. Fished until 2 PM as I was pushing my luck with the wife. Glad we stopped. Biggest fish of the season. Caught browns, rainbows, a Jumbo perch and a bunch of small perch. 2 of the rainbows were pushing 5lbs. I will text you a couple pictures as my corporate internet will not let me post or view pictures on this forum.
Sounds like a fun trip.  I've never heard of Randolf Res.  Would that be Little Creek?  Or is there a new body of water out there?
(02-16-2021, 05:06 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Sounds like a fun trip.  I've never heard of Randolf Res.  Would that be Little Creek?  Or is there a new body of water out there?
Yes I think it is called Little creek. The DWR guy just called it Randolf.
Hey sorry I didn't see your post until now... Glad you had a good time... I am from Cache Valley, but I moved over to Newton over the weekend, but it has bad edges too... Took two steps in the water to get to the ice... Almost went over my high-topped boots before I got on solid ice... Kind of scary to take that next step when you don't know if it will hold up, or you'll be in waist deep... Crazy what I do for 7" perch... Did catch some although they were small... Nothing to help my panfish numbers out this weekend... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Glad you found a good place to get out and catch some fish.
I'd kinda wrote Echo off this year, but maybe I'll try and make a quick trip next week if the edges hold.