Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutler Reservoir Wasted Perch
Thumbs Down 
Hello all, I was heading back to my vehicle after attempting to catch something out at Benson Marina. I came across a plastic bag, which I thought had some carp in it that someone tossed there. I was wrong. I am hoping these perch came out of Hyrum, and not Cutler, as the perch in there are far and few in between. It appears that some of the eyes have been gouged out for bait. I'm going to assume those eyes were used ice fishing. If anybody has any information, PM me and I'll give you my number, or I will give you the number of the DWR officer that I have contacted about this. 
 [Image: 20210215-101134.jpg]
[/url][url=https://ibb.co/4842kGY][Image: 20210215-101050.jpg]
[Image: 20210215-101055.jpg]
Dam, that's so wasteful, some decent fish there looks like, hopefully they can catch who did it.
Maybe it fell off a sled or other transportation device and the fisherman didn't know? It's a shame either way, those perch are delicious!
Not sure that's the case. If it was you'd know when you get home and could go back and find them .
Man if they found that many perch in Cutler, I want to follow them around... I've finally got my first hit for the year in Cutler, but I let the crappie get away... 1 for 18 trips this year...

I suspect they (wasted perch) came from somewhere else, like probably Hyrum, they are too big for Newton... Too bad they were wasted, folks should let them go if they aren't going to use them... Bryton you're one of the few folks I know that has caught perch out of Cutler proper... I got one once out of a side slough, but they are hard to find in Cutler... hope these weren't caught there and wasted, that's probably the whole school in the pond... I think the perch are as rare as the trout in Cutler, both have been caught, but not very often... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-16-2021, 08:54 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Man if they found that many perch in Cutler, I want to follow them around... I've finally got my first hit for the year in Cutler, but I let the crappie get away... 1 for 18 trips this year... 

I suspect they (wasted perch) came from somewhere else, like probably Hyrum, they are too big for Newton... Too bad they were wasted, folks should let them go if they aren't going to use them...  Bryton you're one of the few folks I know that has caught perch out of Cutler proper... I got one once out of a side slough, but they are hard to find in Cutler... hope these weren't caught there and wasted, that's probably the whole school in the pond... I think the perch are as rare as the trout in Cutler, both have been caught, but not very often... Later Jeff
Jeff, they definitely look like Hyrum perch. I agree, they are very rare and far and few in between, so I doubt they were out of Cutler. The perch I've caught out of Cutler have been very mean looking and have the big old beat up fighter look to them. These were similar in color and shape/ condition to the perch I've caught and seen out of Hyrum. Still a scary thought though.
Did you catch anything when you were trying Cutler? I've put in a couple more trips with not even a nibble... So I'm like 20 trips with only one nibble this winter... Definitely not a good ice season on Cutler.... Ice is getting really scary now too, don't know how much longer I dare get on it... Lots of spots turning to slush and ready to collapse now... I want so bad to find at least a 12" crappie, but my opportunities are running low... Past years I caught a lot of 7-9"ers before I found the 12 and 13"ers, so if I do ever find a fish this year, it's not likely to be a big enough one... Too bad this has went down hill so badly so quick... Oh well can't say I didn't try... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-18-2021, 03:11 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Did you catch anything when you were trying Cutler?  I've put in a couple more trips with not even a nibble... So I'm like 20 trips with only one nibble this winter... Definitely not a good ice season on Cutler.... Ice is getting really scary now too, don't know how much longer I dare get on it... Lots of spots turning to slush and ready to collapse now...  I want so bad to find at least a 12" crappie, but my opportunities are running low... Past years I caught a lot of 7-9"ers before I found the 12 and 13"ers, so if I do ever find a fish this year, it's not likely to be a big enough one...  Too bad this has went down hill so badly so quick... Oh well can't say I didn't try... Later Jeff
No I did not. I was going for walleye after consulting with someone who recently caught a few, and they were not there. I fished for a few hours and left out some corn and worms for a carp, nothing.