Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Friday 2/19
I’m planning on hitting RP in the morning. Anyone else planning to head up that way? I’ll be solo, so let me know and maybe we can meet up. 

-Jim
Wish I could make it up there.
What is your target usually? Trout or perch?
Trying to go Saturday so hoping the edges
held up.
Good luck!
(02-19-2021, 02:24 AM)Zeroid Wrote: Wish I could make it up there.
What is your target usually? Trout or perch?
Trying to go Saturday so hoping the edges
held up. 
Good luck!

Thanks, I will be targeting perch mostly. Though I would catch a bow if it came through Smile
Post how the edges are. Going on Sat and planning on using snowmobile.
(02-19-2021, 07:03 PM)styngray32 Wrote: Post how the edges are. Going on Sat and planning on using snowmobile.

I walked down the south west side almost straight across from the ramp. At 8am this morning the edge was soft and broke as I stepped on for maybe 18”. Then it was solid. Not sure how the boat ramp is but I’ve seen one snow dog out here today.
(02-19-2021, 07:11 PM)JArner Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 07:03 PM)styngray32 Wrote: Post how the edges are. Going on Sat and planning on using snowmobile.

I walked down the south west side almost straight across from the ramp. At 8am this morning the edge was soft and broke as I stepped on for maybe 18”. Then it was solid. Not sure how the boat ramp is but I’ve seen one snow dog out here today.
Thanks for the edge update.....
How was the fishing today?
Fishing today was great. Not sure if I just got lucky, but didn’t have to move at all.

I set up in 45’ of water and caught 2 decent 8” perch right away. Drilled a hole closer to shore and set up a dead stick for trout. Caught 3 more perch in the mean time but no love on the trout setup.

Wind picked up a bit and I contemplated moving when I caught my first jumbo 9 3/4” but fat! So I setup my tent and drilled a couple more holes inside. Got all comfy and continued to catch perch until about 12:30 when I packed up and tried for trout in another location. Shortly after getting settled in the tent I got a bruiser of a bow on a tube jig around 13’ down. I horsed it too much but did have it started up the hole at one point. It broke off and broke my dreams of putting some numbers up on the contest thread.

[Image: E3-FA7190-E104-4-CFC-878-D-05-AFEC68041-B.jpg]

[Image: 0-C683-A10-62-E9-4-A67-80-EC-29-F49-C83153-D.jpg]
(02-20-2021, 12:19 AM)JArner Wrote: Fishing today was great. Not sure if I just got lucky, but didn’t have to move at all.

I set up in 45’ of water and caught 2 decent 8” perch right away. Drilled a hole closer to shore and set up a dead stick for trout. Caught 3 more perch in the mean time but no love on the trout setup.

Wind picked up a bit and I contemplated moving when I caught my first jumbo 9 3/4” but fat! So I setup my tent and drilled a couple more holes inside. Got all comfy and continued to catch perch until about 12:30 when I packed up and tried for trout in another location. Shortly after getting settled in the tent I got a bruiser of a bow on a tube jig around 13’ down. I horsed it too much but did have it started up the hole at one point. It broke off and broke my dreams of putting some numbers up on the contest thread.

I’m going tomorrow but it sounds like I should’ve went with you today. 
Thanks
(02-20-2021, 12:19 AM)JArner Wrote: Fishing today was great. Not sure if I just got lucky, but didn’t have to move at all.

Looks like you did good, I'm surprised the perch are hanging that deep but there must be some good number of them in RP because just about all depths are producing right now. Myself, I like fishing shallow, because if I can catch them there it's much easier on the perch, when you want to release those smaller ones.  What color jig and bait did you have your best luck with?
(02-20-2021, 06:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Looks like you did good, I'm surprised the perch are hanging that deep but there must be some good number of them in RP because just about all depths are producing right now. Myself, I like fishing shallow, because if I can catch them there it's much easier on the perch, when you want to release those smaller ones.  What color jig and bait did you have your best luck with?

Thanks, yeah I hear you on fishing shallower. It would be nice to release a few of the dinks. I had success with a green or glow colored wolf finke tipped with spikes and then perch eyes after that. They wouldn't touch my perch pattern gitzit or a silver hali type jig tipped with the same stuff.
(02-20-2021, 06:24 PM)JArner Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 06:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Looks like you did good, I'm surprised the perch are hanging that deep but there must be some good number of them in RP because just about all depths are producing right now. Myself, I like fishing shallow, because if I can catch them there it's much easier on the perch, when you want to release those smaller ones.  What color jig and bait did you have your best luck with?

Thanks, yeah I hear you on fishing shallower. It would be nice to release a few of the dinks. I had success with a green or glow colored wolf finke tipped with spikes and then perch eyes after that. They wouldn't touch my perch pattern gitzit or a silver hali type jig tipped with the same stuff.
Pretty crazy how the perch key in on certain colors or lures like that. I know there are times when they will hit almost anything but it sure helps to have a variety of lures with not everything works.
We were there at the same time you were but a bit farther south. The edge was fine where we went out. Caught mostly perch with the biggest one being 10 3/4 inches. Hooked some trout but weren't able to get them topside.
(02-20-2021, 07:29 PM)JeepNut Wrote: We were there at the same time you were but a bit farther south. The edge was fine where we went out. Caught mostly perch with the biggest one being 10 3/4 inches. Hooked some trout but weren't able to get them topside.

Nice! Were you the guys with the snow dog? I think the edge where I was had been broken before and just hadn’t fully frozen again. When I left I tried a different spot and it was solid.
I’m at Rockport right now and gold seems to be the only thing I can catch them on.I get more and more Confused every time I go fishing. ?. My buddy hasn’t had a bite.
Thanks
(02-20-2021, 01:14 AM)Zeroid Wrote:

I’m going tomorrow but it sounds like I should’ve went with you today. 
Thanks

How do you like your setup for the striker 4.? Looks good.  Do you use the flasher sometimes?  What type of batteries do you use??
(02-20-2021, 09:28 PM)Zeroid Wrote: I’m at Rockport right now and gold seems to be the only thing I can catch them on.I get more and more Confused every time I go fishing. ?. My buddy hasn’t had a bite.
Thanks

This was my first time I’ve fishing there. And I’ve only fished it two other times once from a kayak and once from shore. I expected to be moving around a lot and possibly getting skunked. Hopefully you and your friend got some more action after this post.

(02-20-2021, 10:51 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:  How do you like your setup for the striker 4.? Looks good.  Do you use the flasher sometimes?  What type of batteries do you use??

I really like this setup, it’s my second attempt and with the larger base and heavier batteries it doesn’t tip over. I built this box for my kayak trolling so it has 2x 30Ah Amped lithium ion batteries. I can go a long ways on that Smile

I do use the flasher sometimes and it works well, today I had my vexilar for a flasher with the perch and I left this on traditional so I could view the history when coming back to it.

[Image: 3-BDD3413-82-BE-4796-A553-D6-D7-B12-CE2-D2.jpg]

[Image: 642727-E9-E4-C6-49-A4-8-F2-E-9-C7-C3-DC4-FD47.jpg]

[Image: D0-D9-BA0-A-FC9-E-4658-9-D81-023-F22247471.jpg]

[Image: E7275-F5-F-85-D0-47-D3-90-E1-7-D8-A17-A5-C667.jpg]
(02-20-2021, 08:51 PM)JArner Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 07:29 PM)JeepNut Wrote: We were there at the same time you were but a bit farther south. The edge was fine where we went out. Caught mostly perch with the biggest one being 10 3/4 inches. Hooked some trout but weren't able to get them topside.

Nice! Were you the guys with the snow dog? I think the edge where I was had been broken before and just hadn’t fully frozen again. When I left I tried a different spot and it was solid.

No we were south of the guy with the snow dog. Most of the day we were the only ones in the area.
(02-21-2021, 01:05 AM)JArner Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 09:28 PM)Zeroid Wrote: I’m at Rockport right now and gold seems to be the only thing I can catch them on.I get more and more Confused every time I go fishing. ?. My buddy hasn’t had a bite. 
Thanks

This was my first time I’ve fishing there. And I’ve only fished it two other times once from a kayak and once from shore. I expected to be moving around a lot and possibly getting skunked. Hopefully you and your friend got some more action after this post.

(02-20-2021, 10:51 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:  How do you like your setup for the striker 4.? Looks good.  Do you use the flasher sometimes?  What type of batteries do you use??

I really like this setup, it’s my second attempt and with the larger base and heavier batteries it doesn’t tip over. I built this box for my kayak trolling so it has 2x 30Ah Amped lithium ion batteries. I can go a long ways on that Smile

I do use the flasher sometimes and it works well, today I had my vexilar for a flasher with the perch and I left this on traditional so I could view the history when coming back to it.

[Image: 3-BDD3413-82-BE-4796-A553-D6-D7-B12-CE2-D2.jpg]

[Image: 642727-E9-E4-C6-49-A4-8-F2-E-9-C7-C3-DC4-FD47.jpg]

[Image: D0-D9-BA0-A-FC9-E-4658-9-D81-023-F22247471.jpg]

[Image: E7275-F5-F-85-D0-47-D3-90-E1-7-D8-A17-A5-C667.jpg]

I'm impressed,  I did not think of a fues, I will install one.  I'm using  two 6 volts from Walmart its not as complicated.  Do you think my set up is not good?  I can see your electrical skills are sharp, my are beginner's.
I spent my teen years installing 2-way radio's in law enforcement, oil field, and mining vehicles while working for my dad. I can thank him for the skills in wire management.

As for your setup, it sounds like it suits your needs, therefore it's good IMO. I am going to be running a trolling motor off this box, so I wanted some protection if things jam up and pull a bunch of amps. I added the fuse block because earlier this ice season my Garmin power cable broke near the inline fuse and I just bypassed it all ( knowing that I'd add a fuse box later ).
Thanks JArner, 
I'm thinking about hitting the ice at starvation this week. I'm waiting for the park ranger to call me back. I know there are no good reports but I did good last year and have a plan. Anyone who  wants to come along I'm good, but no promises.
[Image: Screenshot-20210207-143643-Gmail.jpg]