Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport BFT members day 2-18-21
I did not realize it was going to turn out that way but when Wiperslayer and I arrived some time after 7:30 am we first ran into Mr Shane. He told me that others we going to come out later and I got a call from Dubob, also found out K2 muskie was there but we were spread out, with plenty of social distancing. Now on to the report.
When we arrived it was 7 degrees and the edges were plenty solid but there was lots of snow, at least 6" but likely more. Ira and I headed out to the same spot we fished last time in 21 FOW. We were not marking fish at first but they were there and we started catching some nice 10" perch, right off the bat. It looked to be a great start on the day and catching continued until 9:30 am when it slowed down and they seemed to come through in waves after that but we never moved the whole morning. We ended up with several dozen perch, just keeping some of the nicer ones, also picked up a couple of trout that were caught about 10 ft down. I did best early with a perch talker and perch flesh but later one of TubeDude's glow glitter wobblers worked well too. Ira had his best luck with something called a Johnson snare spoon, in blue and white I believe. When we got back to the truck I saw the temp had gone up to 24 degrees. It was nice to see some familiar faces out there too. Saw deer all over the place on the drive out, even a herd of 30 mostly cow elk  Good times.
[Image: RP-perch-Feb-21.jpg]o
If those are 'only' the ones you kept looks like you had a really nice day. It sure was a pretty sunny day. We had been forecasted to get 3-5 more inches of snow Friday evening but that has already been reduced to 1-3. Its also always nice to view the wildlife as well - I bet the all that new snow has driven them lower.
We arrived a little after 8 AM and headed out on the ice around 8:30.  Stopped by and talked to Shane and found out Curt & Ira were out there as well.  Come to find out we were only a short distance from Curt & Ira.  Earl and I ripped some lips with him outdoing me by at least 2 to 1.  I ended the day at 1 PM with 26 total and kept 8 keepers (8" plus).  SnowDog was slower in the 6" of snow trying to pull about 700 lbs of old, fat guys and 4 sleds.  But we 'Got R did!'   Big Grin 

Edges were fine both ways and ice is still about a foot thick.  We'll be back again one day next week.  Also thinking about another Hyrum trip next week depending on the edge conditions up there.  Last week they were a bit scary.  Hoping the lower temps forecasted for the next 10 days will help out with that.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(02-19-2021, 02:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I did not realize it was going to turn out that way but when Wiperslayer and I arrived some time after 7:30 am we first ran into Mr Shane. He told me that others we going to come out later and I got a call from Dubob, also found out K2 muskie was there but we were spread out, with plenty of social distancing. Now on to the report.
When we arrived it was 7 degrees and the edges were plenty solid but there was lots of snow, at least 6" but likely more. Ira and I headed out to the same spot we fished last time in 21 FOW. We were not marking fish at first but they were there and we started catching some nice 10" perch, right off the bat. It looked to be a great start on the day and catching continued until 9:30 am when it slowed down and they seemed to come through in waves after that but we never moved the whole morning. We ended up with several dozen perch, just keeping some of the nicer ones, also picked up a couple of trout that were caught about 10 ft down. I did best early with a perch talker and perch flesh but later one of TubeDude's glow glitter wobblers worked well too. Ira had his best luck with something called a Johnson snare spoon, in blue and white I believe. When we got back to the truck I saw the temp had gone up to 24 degrees. It was nice to see some familiar faces out there too. Saw deer all over the place on the drive out, even a herd of 30 mostly cow elk  Good times.
It looks like I missed a good day to get out on the ice. I have been too busy since getting out on Deer creek ice two weeks ago. My milwaukee drill went kaput. So the only way I can get through the ice is with my spud bar. The drill is at least 4 weeks out for repair. Good thing its still under warranty. I guess I can just dream ice fishing until next December. Nice job guys.
Gabe
(02-19-2021, 07:03 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: It looks like I missed a good day to get out on the ice. I have been too busy since getting out on Deer creek ice two weeks ago. My milwaukee drill went kaput. So the only way I can get through the ice is with my spud bar. The drill is at least 4 weeks out for repair. Good thing its still under warranty. I guess I can just dream ice fishing until next December. Nice job guys.
Gabe
That's too bad on your ice drill motor, Ira had the same thing happen with his drill motor. I guess you could always go back to a hand drill Undecided.
(02-19-2021, 03:32 PM)dubob Wrote: We arrived a little after 8 AM and headed out on the ice around 8:30.  Stopped by and talked to Shane and found out Curt & Ira were out there as well.  Come to find out we were only a short distance from Curt & Ira.  Earl and I ripped some lips with him outdoing me by at least 2 to 1.  I ended the day at 1 PM with 26 total and kept 8 keepers (8" plus).  SnowDog was slower in the 6" of snow trying to pull about 700 lbs of old, fat guys and 4 sleds.  But we 'Got R did!'   Big Grin 

Edges were fine both ways and ice is still about a foot thick.  We'll be back again one day next week.  Also thinking about another Hyrum trip next week depending on the edge conditions up there.  Last week they were a bit scary.  Hoping the lower temps forecasted for the next 10 days will help out with that.
So if you caught 26, does that mean Earl caught 52? Pretty amazing that RP is producing so many perch. What color jigs worked best for you and Earl?
(02-19-2021, 03:08 PM)jjannie Wrote: If those are 'only' the ones you kept looks like you had a really nice day. It sure was a pretty sunny day. We had been forecasted to get 3-5 more inches of snow Friday evening but that has already been reduced to 1-3. Its also always nice to view the wildlife as well - I bet the all that new snow has driven them lower.
We never got any snow to speak of on FRi and the same, so far today. You are right about the snow driving the animals lower because we have not been seeing many wild animals up until this trip.
Seems like everyone is doing pretty good and having a great time getting out. Glad it cooled down again and made things a bit more solid.
I was thinking of taking the kids out for something different than cutthroat, and maybe targeting some perch is the ticket.
Is there a certain side of the lake or type of structure you guys like to target? Points, drop offs, or anything like that?
(02-19-2021, 02:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I did not realize it was going to turn out that way but when Wiperslayer and I arrived some time after 7:30 am we first ran into Mr Shane. He told me that others we going to come out later and I got a call from Dubob, also found out K2 muskie was there but we were spread out, with plenty of social distancing. Now on to the report.
Looks like a great day. Love the snare spoon they work great.