Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What is better than a pile of Rockport perch.....
Getting to see Curt, Ira, Bob, Earl, Kim, and Kay all in the same day![Image: 8-C1-F7-C5-E-D7-F3-4-A74-86-AF-8-BBB2-C2-ED4-C5.jpg]
Nice mess of perch there. Sounds like I should have gone a day earlier.
Looks like fish tacos are in your near future, Shane, nice catch.
(02-19-2021, 11:56 PM)MrShane Wrote: Getting to see Curt, Ira, Bob, Earl, Kim, and Kay all in the same day![Image: 8-C1-F7-C5-E-D7-F3-4-A74-86-AF-8-BBB2-C2-ED4-C5.jpg]
Good running into you and the rest of your group on Thurs Shane. From the looks of it you really kicked butt, what was you best lure and bait combo?
(02-20-2021, 05:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 11:56 PM)MrShane Wrote: Getting to see Curt, Ira, Bob, Earl, Kim, and Kay all in the same day![Image: 8-C1-F7-C5-E-D7-F3-4-A74-86-AF-8-BBB2-C2-ED4-C5.jpg]
Good running into you and the rest of your group on Thurs Shane. From the looks of it you really kicked butt, what was you best lure and bait combo?
I like to just take a normal 1/8th oz. Kastmaster and file the edges down to accept a single octopus hook/epoxy drop on a chain.
I think the chains are made by VMC.
[Image: 2423526-A-8-E46-4635-A05-E-C7-ACA09-B7304.jpg]

video resolution checkerI then just use pieces of perch belly, I prefer eyeballs but with one hand getting the eyeballs out can get a little messy.
(02-21-2021, 12:29 AM)MrShane Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 05:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
I like to just take a normal 1/8th oz. Kastmaster and file the edges down to accept a single octopus hook/epoxy drop on a chain.
I think the chains are made by VMC.
[Image: 2423526-A-8-E46-4635-A05-E-C7-ACA09-B7304.jpg]

video resolution checkerI then just use pieces of perch belly, I prefer eyeballs but with one hand getting the eyeballs out can get a little messy.

I think I'm going to make a trip up there for a few hours in the morning before work. Might as well hit it once this year before ice off. I was going to try near the dam and then maybe move along the east side of the lake, but wouldn't mind any suggestions on general locations to try with my limited time.
....a pile of Cascade perch is better only because they are bigger fillets and can feed more people.

Nice job - Thanks for sharing
How deep are you gettin' those yellows?
I was about dead center of the lake about 2/3rds the way up the lake.
30’ of water.
I daresay with how low the reservoir is that the perch are almost everywhere.
A pile of walleye. Lol. Sorry I just had to say that.
Gabe
MrShane, which areas on RP have safe ice, if I may ask?
(02-23-2021, 11:42 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: MrShane, which areas on RP have safe ice, if I may ask?
I was out there this morning. little bit of water around the edge, but the edge is good. 12' ice and a couple inches snow everywhere I went. There is a visible lighter colored line that looks to be a few feet wide running east/west that can be seen from the road. I'm not an ice expert, so not sure what it means or what causes it.
(02-24-2021, 12:51 AM)TheOtherSide Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 11:42 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: MrShane, which areas on RP have safe ice, if I may ask?
I was out there this morning. little bit of water around the edge, but the edge is good. 12' ice and a couple inches snow everywhere I went. There is a visible lighter colored line that looks to be a few feet wide running east/west that can be seen from the road. I'm not an ice expert, so not sure what it means or what causes it.
From my experience those lines are caused by raising water levels. The water rises, then refreezes but as cold as it has been at RP, it can easily freeze solid and be several inches thick in a day or two.
Looks and sounds like a good day. I need to get up there at least once before ice off. Not a regular to that lake but would be good to learn more of it since it's so close to SLC.
(02-24-2021, 05:28 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 12:51 AM)TheOtherSide Wrote:
From my experience those lines are caused by raising water levels. The water rises, then refreezes but as cold as it has been at RP, it can easily freeze solid and be several inches thick in a day or two.
That was my first thought.  if water ises or falls, the ice sags somewhere, a little water collects on the low spots and refreezes.  Often it soaks the snow or slush first, and the colors/textures change.