Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking to go Berry Picking
I'm going to try one of my annual Strawberry ice trips on Friday... Can you guys that are familiar with the ice/slush conditions help me plan for heading out from the marina south towards Renegade... Will be taking the snowmobile with probably just one sled this trip... If we are going to be fighting heavy slush I'd like to know so we can modify plans on how far we travel... Recent reports of fish biting would be great as well.  Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(02-22-2021, 07:43 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Will be taking the snowmobile with probably just one sled this trip...

Who are you? Confused   Attention moderators, someone has gained unauthorized access to Jeff's account. Wink
Wink 
I saw his "1" sled before and it equals 2 of most people. I recommend bringing a wind-surfing kite in case you get stuck. Forecast is for 20-30 mph winds on Friday up there. The kite could pull you out if the slush monster grabs you. Big Grin
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(02-22-2021, 07:43 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I'm going to try one of my annual Strawberry ice trips on Friday... Can you guys that are familiar with the ice/slush conditions help me plan for heading out from the marina south towards Renegade... Will be taking the snowmobile with probably just one sled this trip... If we are going to be fighting heavy slush I'd like to know so we can modify plans on how far we travel... Recent reports of fish biting would be great as well.  Thanks Jeff
Friend of mine went out of the marina last, Sunday. They said a foot of snow w/ 2" slush over 12" ice. What that foot of snow becomes by, Friday.....?
(02-22-2021, 08:10 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 07:43 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Will be taking the snowmobile with probably just one sled this trip...

Who are you? Confused   Attention moderators, someone has gained unauthorized access to Jeff's account. Wink

Kent. I have spent a couple hours researching this issue...appears the park rangers have limited Jeff to under 2 tons of ice gear so that others can safely access the ice too. So the post appears valid and does not require mod action. However I suggest we all goto the Berry and photo Jeff at 1/4 capacity for posterity
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I took the snowmobile shuttle to Renegade last Sat. We went thru plenty of slush but the 600cc 4 stroke sleds ripped right thru. We tamped down the snow so we didn’t have slush in our tents at all. We were in 65 feet of water. Used 2” pearl/glow tubes with green gulp or mealworm or piece of minnow. All worked. Also saw KSL outdoors use dodger plate so tried it and I caught half my fish on that. Glow dodger with 2” tube 3 feet below. Only caught 1 of 20 dead sticking. Liked a little movement. Funnest fish were sight fishing down the hole at 8-12 feet with ultra light rod and a Bobby Garland Itty Bit Swim R on a tungsten jig hook.
[Image: image.jpg]

anonymous photo sharing
(02-23-2021, 01:22 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Kent. I have spent a couple hours researching this issue...appears the park rangers have limited Jeff to under 2 tons of ice gear so that others can safely access the ice too. So the post appears valid and does not require mod action. However I suggest we all goto the Berry and photo Jeff at 1/4 capacity for posterity

Thanks for checking into it.  Still hard to believe, but I guess you thoroughly looked into it.

I got a good belly laugh out of that one ?

(02-22-2021, 09:15 PM)BURLEY Wrote: I saw his "1" sled before and it equals 2 of most people. I recommend bringing a wind-surfing kite in case you get stuck. Forecast is for 20-30 mph winds on Friday up there. The kite could pull you out if the slush monster grabs you. Big Grin
Wind sounds nasty, I’m terrible at finding days to go fishing far away. But I would love to have one of those kites. I really feel bad I got old before they became a thing. If I were less brittle I’d be trying those, but I’m afraid I might break something now days. They sure look fun though. Later Jeff

(02-22-2021, 11:50 PM)JTheOtherSide Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 07:43 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I'm going to try one of my annual Strawberry ice trips on Friday... Can you guys that are familiar with the ice/slush conditions help me plan for heading out from the marina south towards Renegade... Will be taking the snowmobile with probably just one sled this trip... If we are going to be fighting heavy slush I'd like to know so we can modify plans on how far we travel... Recent reports of fish biting would be great as well.  Thanks Jeff
Friend of mine went out of the marina last, Sunday. They said a foot of snow w/ 2" slush over 12" ice. What that foot of snow becomes by, Friday.....?
Doesn’t sound too bad. But I thought there would be more ice than that. Thanks for some good info

(02-23-2021, 01:22 AM)OCowboypirate Wrote:

Kent. I have spent a couple hours researching this issue...appears the park rangers have limited Jeff to under 2 tons of ice gear so that others can safely access the ice too. So the post appears valid and does not require mod action. However I suggest we all goto the Berry and photo Jeff at 1/4 capacity for posterity
You guys are too funny, I laughed so hard my wife is wondering what was going on. Told her and now she’s laughing at me too. Thanks I enjoyed that. Jeff

(02-23-2021, 01:41 AM)Troutster Wrote: I took the  snowmobile shuttle to Renegade last Sat. We went thru plenty of slush but the 600cc 4 stroke sleds ripped right thru. We tamped down the snow so we didn’t have slush in our tents at all. We were in 65 feet of water. Used 2” pearl/glow tubes with green gulp or mealworm or piece of minnow. All worked. Also saw KSL outdoors use dodger plate so tried it and I caught half my fish on that. Glow dodger with 2” tube 3 feet below. Only caught 1 of 20 dead sticking. Liked a little movement. Funnest fish were sight fishing down the hole at 8-12 feet with ultra light rod and a Bobby Garland Itty Bit Swim R on a tungsten jig hook.
[Image: image.jpg]

anonymous photo sharing
Thanks for the great report. I used the dodgers last year and we got a couple Koke to play. Thank you very much. Jeff
We took the shuttle service out on Sunday, they took us over to the renegade area. Seemed like the whole lake was just one big slush pool but the kids on their snowmobiles made it out just fine even with all our gear and my far behind on the sled. We found a fairly solid spot and fished in 40 FOW. Caught 30 fish between the two of us and Alicia caught the trifecta, cutthroat, rainbow, and a small Kokanee. She likes to use a chartreuse and pink pout from Ned's bait box and I bounced from White tube, pink tube, green grub and whatever else tickled my fancy. Early we caught them between 10-20 ft and later 25-30 and a few on the bottom. We'll be out again on Thursday again with the shuttle. If that's the day you're going maybe we'll see you out there.
What happened to your snow dog? I guess we’ll be there on Friday so I’ll miss you guys by a day. Hope you have a great trip. Sorry the gorge didn’t work out. J
(02-23-2021, 04:14 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: What happened to your snow dog?  I guess we’ll be there on Friday so I’ll miss you guys by a day. Hope you have a great trip. Sorry the gorge didn’t work out. J
Nothing is wrong with the Snow dog a couple of Sundays ago spend a lot of time getting unstuck rather than fishing so left it at home. We also wanted to see how good the lodge Intel was and find some other spots to fish. The gorge it's kinda scary right now. We're going to have to plan a trip there. Our knowledge on the ice up there is no bueno need a guide like yourself to give us a little nudge in the right direction. Been loving the new aqua vu. Definitely more entertaining. Going to try and make some videos and post them. Anyway good luck on Friday. We'll swap notes after!
Sounds good, I’m looking forward to the videos. Wish I was smarter on the gorge so I could help better. I luckily have had some great help from Ryan and other guys on here. I can point you to one spot that isn’t too bad, but it’s not the best, but I think it’s still fishable. If you’d like some details PM me or give me a call. Good luck at the berry. Later Jeff
The weather is looking a little better this morning for tomorrows trip. Winds were looking pretty rough on the KSL app for Fruitland but this morning they have backed off quite a bit. It should be a decent day and a walk in the park compared to our gorge trips this season. Temps have dropped back down to normal for this time of year also. -17 as I type this at coop creek temp sensor which is located right where you turn off the highway to the marina. Bring the warm clothes for sure. Here's some motivation for us

[Image: 20180307-125530.jpg]
(02-25-2021, 01:53 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote: The weather is looking a little better this morning for tomorrows trip. Winds were looking pretty rough on the KSL app for Fruitland but this morning they have backed off quite a bit. It should be a decent day and a walk in the park compared to our gorge trips this season. Temps have dropped back down to normal for this time of year also. -17 as I type this at coop creek temp sensor which is located right where you turn off the highway to the marina. Bring the warm clothes for sure. Here's some motivation for us

[Image: 20180307-125530.jpg]
Hey Matt, that sounds like a lot better report for the wind... Now I wonder if I'm going to need to take the heater???  Wish I could find another fish like that one... would be fun for sure... Looking forward to the trip anyway, really like fishing this time of year on the Berry, kind of a fun experience... Thanks so much for the update... Jeff