Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frosty night on the Bear
Went fishing tonight after work and between the wind and the temperature it was a brutal night. I almost didn’t stay, but like Pat says I’m not exactly sane sometimes. Fishing was slow tonight but I did get one pretty cat 24”. It flipped when I took the picture and my phone battery died after that picture so sorry it’s not lined up very well. Not as fun tonight because of conditions but the birds flying around was worth the trip. The ducks are all colored up in mating colors that are so beautiful. Seen the prettiest cinnamon teal that I’ve ever seen. Bunch of bull spriggs in full colors (Pintails). Anyway it’s a fun time to be in the marsh, but it’s not comfortable. Later Jeff [Image: 458196-AF-44-E8-4-F3-F-8981-8-F893-E33-AE49.jpg]
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I bet it was chilly out there, I was working at the CV Range tonight and luckily it was a slow night so didn’t have to spend 4hrs out standing in that wind. Way to hang with it and be rewarded with a nice cat
Darn it i was thinking about a ice fishing 
Trip this weekend but since you have
Been out catching kitty's not shur which 
Way to go nothing better than fishing 
And seeing all the wildlife good job on 
Them nice cats 
(02-25-2021, 02:39 AM)2knots Wrote: I bet it was chilly out there, I was working at the CV Range tonight and luckily it was a slow night so didn’t have to spend 4hrs out standing in that wind. Way to hang with it and be rewarded with a nice cat
I should have had my bibs on instead of just my Levi’s and jacket, I got so cold it took awhile to take the chill off. Good thing a cat finally showed up to keep me motivated.

I got my tent ready for tomorrow, I think I’ll take the X-200 so there will be room for both of us to get out of the wind. I’ll try to get my gear loaded by tomorrow night. Later Jeff

(02-25-2021, 03:26 AM)Wando59 Wrote: Darn it i was thinking about a ice fishing 
Trip this weekend but since you have
Been out catching kitty's not shur which 
Way to go nothing better than fishing 
And seeing all the wildlife good job on 
Them nice cats 
I’m still going ice fishing this weekend, but it’s at Strawberry. If my choice was little perch through the ice or cats, I’d take the cats for sure. However, I found lots of spots where there are no fish now on the Bear and I finally found a spot where they seem to be hanging so you may not find cats like I have done the last few nights. I’ve fished a lot of dead spots before I found this one. You may find a better spot too so who knows. But it is still fishing. Good luck. Jeff
Hey Jeff,
I share your love for Sprigs![Image: 6-D827418-F733-497-B-AA7-E-63-A63105-AF7-B.jpg]
(02-25-2021, 04:29 AM)MrShane Wrote: Hey Jeff,
I share your love for Sprigs![Image: 6-D827418-F733-497-B-AA7-E-63-A63105-AF7-B.jpg]
Hey Shane that’s a beauty. When I was growing up there never was enough money coming in from the farm so Dad would run a trap line for muskrats to help pay the bills. That was my most favorite thing to do in the early spring, because the migrating birds in all their best dress colors were always so thick and everywhere. I loved being out and watching them as we would work our way through the trap line. Fun times and great memories brought back from last nights cold trip. Besides I didn’t have to skin rats after it so it was all good. Kind of a cool time in the marsh right now, I’m seeing swan, snow geese, tons of ducks and Canadian geese. Plus there’s a bunch of raptors bald eagles, red tail hawks and blackbirds singing by the millions.  I love where I live and I think spring is one of the most active times. Wish I had a way to capture the experience on video or pictures that would show things close enough so you could see the detail. Think I need to learn how to do videos and try starting a YouTube channel. Think this old dog could learn how to run a video camera?  I’m going to try to find someone that can help me shorten the learning curve. 

Hey sorry for that departure, was wondering have you heard from Gary lately?  Last I heard his health wasn’t great and then the site did the switch over and I haven’t heard anything since. I know you guys were friends and if you touch base with him, tell him he’s missed and I hope he’s doing well and still fishing. Thanks Jeff
Nice cat Jeff, I bet all the birds were wearing their best spring colors. Good to see your getting in cat mode while still keeping the ice gear at the ready.
(02-25-2021, 01:47 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote: Nice cat Jeff, I bet all the birds were wearing their best spring colors. Good to see your getting in cat mode while still keeping the ice gear at the ready.
Yup, I'll be all screwed up tomorrow, you'll have to watch me that I don't show up with cat rods soaking stink bait... Hope I remember the auger, don't think I can chip through 16" of ice with my pocket knife... Better go get some bait tonight too, these warm temps have caused a little rotting in my bait bucket as of late...  Anyway I am excited to do this trip, it really has a feeling of it's own, sort of a transition trip into spring for me... Probably forget my sunscreen and end up with a good burn... but a really fun tradition, thanks for letting me know you were going... Later Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Gary is good. 
In fact he is so good he is going to go to Powell to beach camp with me next month.
We were supposed to be on Cascade today but due to heavy snow/slush, unfortunately, we cancelled and may try again if it firms up.
I will tell him you said hello.
Hey, this is a fish forum, not a duck forum! Let's keep on point, ok?
Thanks Shane for the update and Gary, great to see you're doing well... Sorry Cascade didn't pan out for you... I heard numbers were down up there this year, but did hear of some nice fish still being caught... I guess I'm sort of hanging up the ice gear a little early, but who knows I still may find my way onto the ice a couple more times.... Better do it soon here in the valley, the cold temps the last few days might give me another shot, but sounds like by the weekend it might be over down low anyway... Cats weren't biting last night, I think the ice floating on the river may have slowed them down a little or my late start...anyway back to getting skunked on Cutler.... Later Jeff