Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
starvation's latest 2/25
Couldn't take it any longer, Got up at 5:00 this morning and drove to get my own report on the craziest body of water in Utah.  I say that because nobody can really tell whats going on there. Maybe I should say "will"tell whats going on there.  Everyone gives a story but we still can't catch fish, well can't catch consistent fish, like we used to.
Now that you all think I'm nuts, I'll give my story.
Going up Daniels Canyon the roads were very good, lots of salt.  Crossed the pass the temperature was -11 degrees.  Came to the strawberry turnoff the temp. was -14.  Came to Soldier creek it warmed up to -9 at about 6:46 am.
First check was the long bridge at starvation, stopped there and went down to the water. Ice had melted and refroze, walked out and started to drill, Sad to say but that's when I discovered the blades on the ice auger were in bad shape. The ice was thick and Hard. Very slick to stand on. Lesson learned, I had new blades back in the truck that I left home....  I had decided to take the car, 35 mpg is better than 15. second mistake.
I got some pictures but I'll add them latter from my phone.

[Image: 20210225-081447.jpg]
Found some open water so boaters keep hopping, but its only good for the bank fisherman or tuber.

[Image: 20210225-085626.jpg][Image: 20210225-085310.jpg]
Decided to drive around the state park and spoke to the park ranger.  The Cabins are open to reserve, the price has gone up to $100 a night.
Saw three tents out in the open ice in front of the dam.  Wanted to talk to them but they were in it for the day. I waited 2.5 hours but they showed no sign of leaving. I hoped to talk to them but did not get to. If that was you love to hear your story>>
[Image: 20210225-091250.jpg][Image: 20210225-081512.jpg]

Temperatures were now 26 degrees at 11:30 am and NO wind very nice day to be on the ice at starvation. Had a very nice day, love to go back and fish..
(02-25-2021, 11:30 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Couldn't take it any longer, Got up at 5:00 this morning and drove to get my own report on the craziest body of water in Utah.  I say that because nobody can really tell whats going on there. Maybe I should say "will"tell whats going on there.  Everyone gives a story but we still can't catch fish, well can't catch consistent fish, like we used to.
Going up Daniels Canyon the roads were very good, lots of salt.  Crossed the pass the temperature was -11 degrees.  Came to the strawberry turnoff the temp. was -14.  Came to Soldier creek it warmed up to -9 at about 6:46 am.
First check was the long bridge at starvation, stopped there and went down to the water. Ice had melted and refroze, walked out and started to drill, Sad to say but that's when I discovered the blades on the ice auger were in bad shape. The ice was thick and Hard. Very slick to stand on. Lesson learned, I had new blades back in the truck that I left home....  I had decided to take the car, 35 mpg is better than 15. second mistake.

Found some open water so boaters keep hopping, but its only good for the bank fisherman or tuber.

Decided to drive around the state park and spoke to the park ranger.  The Cabins are open to reserve, the price has gone up to $100 a night.
Saw three tents out in the open ice in front of the dam.  Wanted to talk to them but they were in it for the day. I waited 2.5 hours but they showed no sign of leaving. I hoped to talk to them but did not get to. If that was you love to hear your story>>

Temperatures were now 26 degrees at 11:30 am and NO wind very nice day to be on the ice at starvation. Had a very nice day, love to go back and fish..
Thanks for the report on ice conditions. Sad to see it looks like the ice going fast.
(02-26-2021, 12:56 AM)hookngrinin Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 11:30 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Couldn't take it any longer, Got up at 5:00 this morning and drove to get my own report on the craziest body of water in Utah.  I say that because nobody can really tell whats going on there. Maybe I should say "will"tell whats going on there.  Everyone gives a story but we still can't catch fish, well can't catch consistent fish, like we used to.

Thanks for the report on ice conditions. Sad to see it looks like the ice going fast.

I thought the ice looked very solid, for now.
I was up there Wednesday and Thursday. Rabbit Gulch had a lot of open water around the edge I couldn't find any way on. Juniper point was solid. I settled on the grassy island near indian bay. I punched a ton of holes and kept moving. Tried 10'-70' of water. The water was so clear I could see the bottom well in 17'. I got a couple quick pick up and drop bites on the bottom in 50' and 40' looked like bigger fish on the sonar, very quick slack line and couldnt hook them. Looking through the hole I saw many rainbow swim by and not even care about my offerings. Ended up scoring an 18 inch rainbow in 17' and a 13 inch (first ice) walleye in 10'. Pretty slow for 2 days

[Image: 0225210751.jpg] 

[Image: 0224211003-HDR.jpg]

Ps. Ice was 12" everywhere, but watch the edges.
Thanks for taking the drive up there, sorry about the auger problems. Looks like a beautiful day though.
Thanks for report and pictures.  

Sorry that it didn't turn out to be a fishing report. Sad

It's nice to see some open water showing up. Smile
Loved this report, use to like fishing starvation, it is hard to pass up deer creek and strawberry,  less money and more fish.

It was us out there on a winter survival exercise for our calling as Special Ops troops.  If we told you what we caught, we would have to kill you and all the others who have viewed this post.