Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Targeting Willard this year
Mostly been a river fisherman. This year I'll be hitting Willard on my kayak. I want to get things ready. I'm gonna target wipers, small mouths and walleye.mostly. I ll be looking at using mostly plastic baits due to that's what's in my budget. I seen in one post I believe it was Tubedude mentioned the predators out there don't target shad over around 3". So I was looking at getting 2-3" plastics. There are so many bags of plastic out there. Back when I was a kid you had Mister Twisters and that was it. Any good recommendations for those species?
(03-08-2021, 01:58 AM)need2getoutmore Wrote: Mostly been a river fisherman. This year I'll be hitting Willard on my kayak. I want to get things ready. I'm gonna target wipers, small mouths and walleye.mostly. I ll be looking at using mostly plastic baits due to that's what's in my budget. I seen in one post I believe it was Tubedude mentioned the predators out there don't target shad over around 3". So I was looking at getting 2-3" plastics. There are so many bags of plastic out there. Back when I was a kid you had Mister Twisters and that was it. Any good recommendations for those species?
Just for the record, big wipers and walleyes DO eat larger shad.  But they often pattern on the smaller ones when they are still available.

Also, almost any active 3" white twister tail lure will work...on the right head with the right retrieve.  Lots of good ones on the market.  I like Barlows "Shad Grub" and Maniac Minnows 3" white.  But if you really wanna kick it up a notch, get some 3" Gulp Minnows...in white, smelt and chartreuse shad.
Thanks Tubedude! Definitely gives me a good starting point. When I walk in the stores I want to buy one of everything. Now it's time to go shopping, rig up the kayak and hit the bay.
Berkeley power bait power grub 3" in chartreuse works well for walleye.
Don't know if I read between the lines correctly or not, but if your river fishing relates to fly fishing... You should get a hold of Larry, he has been rocking Willard with Flies for years... (Fatbiker) I think he has as good of catch rate or better than most that are fishing the big pond... the Kayak and his float tube follow a similar fishing pattern... I've wanted to get over and fish with Larry, but haven't made it yet... but hope to sometime... Love catching big fighting fish with a fly rod... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-08-2021, 03:35 PM)need2getoutmore Wrote: Thanks Tubedude! Definitely gives me a good starting point. When I walk in the stores I want to buy one of everything. Now it's time to go shopping, rig up the kayak and hit the bay.
Hey, if you are a yakker you are a member of the FFF (Floatation Fishing Fools).  As such, you are entitled to even more info.  Here is a chapter from my Willard Bay CD/Book on Tackle and Techniques.  Because of the size limitations on attachments I had to break it down into 4 sections.  Hope they help.
Awesome! I feel I really scored with that membership. I might just post triple "F" on my kayak. I'm almost done with the first section. That was really really nice of you to compile the info you've collected through the years of fishing the bay, typing it up and sharing it like that. I'm even more excited to go fish the bay this year. Thanks!
(03-09-2021, 12:42 AM)need2getoutmore Wrote: Awesome! I feel I really scored with that membership. I might just post triple "F" on my kayak. I'm almost done with the first section. That was really really nice of you to compile the info you've collected through the years of fishing the bay, typing it up and sharing it like that. I'm even more excited to go fish the bay this year. Thanks!
You are most welcome.  Hope it shortens your learning curve.  I wish I had access to something like this in my earlier years.  But the journey and the research and learning process have been rewarding...and gratifying.  There are a lot of philosophical wisdomisms about the journey being its own reward...and not to focus on the destination.  All I know is that I have always appreciated any help I have gotten to aid in my journey.  And I believe in "paying it forward" so I am happy to pass it along to any serious students of the sport.

Best wishes for getting your yak properly set up and for many successful excursions.
(03-08-2021, 01:58 AM)need2getoutmore Wrote: Mostly been a river fisherman. This year I'll be hitting Willard on my kayak. I want to get things ready. I'm gonna target wipers, small mouths and walleye.mostly. I ll be looking at using mostly plastic baits due to that's what's in my budget. I seen in one post I believe it was Tubedude mentioned the predators out there don't target shad over around 3". So I was looking at getting 2-3" plastics. There are so many bags of plastic out there. Back when I was a kid you had Mister Twisters and that was it. Any good recommendations for those species?
A good suggestion I have discovered in my years of walleye chasing, if the bite is subtle keep your presentation SLOW. Likewise if you get an aggresive strike, work your presentation FAST. Let them tell you how they want it. Just a bit of advice from a walleye freak.
Gabe
(03-09-2021, 11:21 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
A good suggestion I have discovered in my years of walleye chasing, if the bite is subtle keep your presentation SLOW. Likewise if you get an aggresive strike, work your presentation FAST. Let them tell you how they want it. Just a bit of advice from a walleye freak.
Gabe

Thanks!
(03-17-2021, 01:22 AM)need2getoutmore Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 11:21 PM)Freakyfisherman I plan on being on willard alot more this year, i spent alot of last summer at Deer Creek for the eyes and perch. I will be fishing out of the old crestliner, she turned 21 this year. Wrote:
Gabe

Thanks!
Wow, what an outstanding resource! I had so much fun fishing late spring for the crappie last year I vowed to do better this year. Thanks for all of the great info. Writing that up took a lot of work that doesn’t help you, but is a huge help to others. Well done and thank you.
(03-17-2021, 03:00 PM)Troutster Wrote: Wow, what an outstanding resource! I had so much fun fishing late spring for the crappie last year I vowed to do better this year. Thanks for all of the great info. Writing that up took a lot of work that doesn’t help you, but is a huge help to others. Well done and thank you.
The past two years have not been as good for crappie as some previous years.  Their numbers fluctuate according to how successful their spawn is each year.  In higher water years, there is plenty of flooded brush and weeds...and the rocks around the dike are covered with water high enough to attract the crappies.  In lower water years they either do not spawn...or their spewed eggs are either silted over or slurped up by carp and small species.

Hoping we see more crappies this year.  Here is my chapter on crappies...broken down into two parts to be able to attach them on BFT.  Hope this helps you to have a better year this year.
(03-08-2021, 05:22 PM)Tube asDude Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 03:35 PM)need2getoutmore Wrote: Thanks Tubedude! Definitely gives me a good starting point. When I walk in the stores I want to buy one of everything. Now it's time to go shopping, rig up the kayak and hit the bay.
Hey, if you are a yakker you are a member of the FFF (Floatation Fishing Fools).  As such, you are entitled to even more info.  Here is a chapter from my Willard Bay CD/Book on Tackle and Techniques.  Because of the size limitations on attachments I had to break it down into 4 sections.  Hope they help.

Tube dude, how does one aquire said book?
If you scroll up through past posts I believe he's put it all out there so can download it.
(03-17-2021, 11:36 PM)Samsquacth Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 05:22 PM)Tube asDude Wrote:

Tube dude, how does one aquire said book?
If you are a real masochist, here is a rundown on the material included and the price.  Haven't really been promoting it...just sharing excerpts when helpful.  And a lot of newer computers do not even have CD setups.
But I can also send chapters through email if you have a provider that won't choke on larger files.