Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Willard Bay trip #3
Day started out okay. Weather was as forecast. Cloudy, but only 1% chance of rain. Winds calm but increasing in mid day.   

I got launched at south marina at about 9 a.m.  I was the only rig in the lot until just as I was heading out. 

[Image: 09-18-Mar-21-Skunked.jpg]

Info that may be of use to someone:  The south inlet baffles were open about 10-15%, so some new water is flowing in. 

And so I wouldn't need to try and remember water temp and depth, I took a photo of that info, and wrote down the air temp in my truck when I pulled the rig into the parking space. 

Air temp was 42 at about 9:10  a.m.  winds were very calm. The water temp and depth at the end of the dock were......

[Image: 010.jpg]       [Image: 011.jpg]

Water temp never got above 51 and that was in shallow 5-6 fow.  Wind stayed calm until about 11 a.m. then started gusting, and calming, until about 12:30. Then it was  getting steady and I had gotten plenty of skunk, so I called it a day.  Oh yeah, air temp was 62 and windy when I left.

So I guess Larry (FatBiker) and I are tied with 2 each WB skunks so far............  I'm sure he will greatly improve his catch   rate, and probably sooner than me   Big Grin  Dodgy .
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(03-18-2021, 09:34 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Day started out okay. Weather was as forecast. Cloudy, but only 1% chance of rain. Winds calm but increasing in mid day.   

I got launched at south marina at about 9 a.m.  I was the only rig in the lot until just as I was heading out. 

[Image: 09-18-Mar-21-Skunked.jpg]

Info that may be of use to someone:  The south inlet baffles were open about 10-15%, so some new water is flowing in. 

And so I wouldn't need to try and remember water temp and depth, I took a photo of that info, and wrote down the air temp in my truck when I pulled the rig into the parking space. 

Air temp was 42 at about 9:10  a.m.  winds were very calm. The water temp and depth at the end of the dock were......

[Image: 010.jpg]       [Image: 011.jpg]

Water temp never got above 51 and that was in shallow 5-6 fow.  Wind stayed calm until about 11 a.m. then started gusting, and calming, until about 12:30. Then it was  getting steady and I had gotten plenty of skunk, so I called it a day.   Oh yeah, air temp was 62 and windy when I left.

So I guess Larry (FatBiker) and I are tied with 2 each WB skunks so far............  I'm sure he will greatly improve his catch   rate, and probably sooner than me   Big Grin  Dodgy .
It's a good thing to fill out your yearly Willard skunk quota in March. Once you get that out of the way, the fun begins. Weather is looking a bit better next week. I'll be out trying to get skunk #3 Monday or Tuesday.
(03-24-2021, 10:39 PM)FatBiker Wrote: It's a good thing to fill out your yearly Willard skunk quota in March. Once you get that out of the way, the fun begins. Weather is looking a bit better next week. I'll be out trying to get skunk #3 Monday or Tuesday.

I went out today to north end. Thought I'd be taking skunk #3 home, but got lucky and boated a respectable Kitty and first one for the contest. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I saw how low the water is. Looks like a poor crappie spawn this year. Water temps are going up, but that's no walleye chop. Hope those hitting the west dike can give us some reports.
(03-25-2021, 12:32 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: I saw how low the water is. Looks like a poor crappie spawn this year.  Water temps are going up, but that's no walleye chop. Hope those hitting the west dike can give us some reports.
DWR walleye netting operations have been very successful so far.  They are finding lots of healthy walleyes of good size in several spots around the lake.  But since walleye are not actively foraging for food during the spawn period, anglers fishing for them are not doing much with traditional walleye methods.  However, there are a few "rock hoppers" who score a few right after dark and again right at daybreak...throwing 3" white plastics parallel to the rocks...in the areas they are spawning.

Someone from DWR also reported lots of fishing activity at the inlet...with little reward observed.  Wish they would just close that area during the spawn.