Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing on Soldier Creek
I went up to Soldier Creek for a solo trip last Wednesday.  Headed out from the marina there and was one of only 3 other fisherman in that area.  Ended up catching 17 for the day all cutthroats.  Did see some kokanee on the Aqua Vu but couldn't get them to bite.  Here's a video of the adventure.  Give it a look hopefully the videos are getting better and as always I'd love to hear any comments, questions, or advice about how to get better.  Thanks!

https://youtu.be/1Tf8zGIDM5k
thanks for posting the video. it's always fun to see how the fish react to baits.

Were you able to drive to the ramp?

rj
(03-20-2021, 05:04 PM)r2u2 Wrote: thanks for posting the video. it's always fun to see how the fish react to baits.

Were you able to drive to the ramp?

rj
Yes I actually parked right on the ramp. There were a few spots where the snow on the road was a bit rutted but had no problems getting in there.
you did a good job making the video,  at first I was thinking he needs to record the Aqua Vu, then it pops up with your recording.
and you matched it with your pole good.

I have the same Aqua Vu on my boat it is hard to see when the sun hits it so have to take the recording home to see what I missed.
Nice video. Pretty sure one of those was a rainbow. Were you able to drive to the Soldier Creek ramp or was it Aspen Grove?
(03-21-2021, 12:07 AM)liketrolling Wrote: you did a good job making the video,  at first I was thinking he needs to record the Aqua Vu, then it pops up with your recording.
and you matched it with your pole good.

I have the same Aqua Vu on my boat it is hard to see when the sun hits it so have to take the recording home to see what I missed.

Thank you, it means a lot to me that you liked it.  I've been learning a lot about the video editing software and I'm glad it is showing in the quality.  I am really looking forward to using the Aqua Vu on the boat and trying to determine the optimal spot to locate it.  I can't wait to get on the Gorge and see if I can find one of those big Lakers.

(03-21-2021, 12:32 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: Nice video.  Pretty sure one of those was a rainbow.  Were you able to drive to the Soldier Creek ramp or was it Aspen Grove?

Thanks for giving it a look.  Yes I was able to get all the way to the ramp.  In fact there were so few people there I parked right on the ramp.  There was still some snow on the road and it had some pretty good ruts in it but is definitely passable without too much trouble.  I am going to give the same area a try tomorrow and will post on the success (or failure) and conditions as well.
(03-21-2021, 01:20 AM)knottyhookr Wrote: I am going to give the same area a try tomorrow and will post on the success (or failure) and conditions as well.

I look forward to your report, after the storm.  Headed up there on Monday and wouldn't mind trying a new spot and a place where the odds of catching a rainbow are better (than the Strawberry side).
(03-21-2021, 01:59 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 01:20 AM)knottyhookr Wrote: I am going to give the same area a try tomorrow and will post on the success (or failure) and conditions as well.

I look forward to your report, after the storm.  Headed up there on Monday and wouldn't mind trying a new spot and a place where the odds of catching a rainbow are better (than the Strawberry side).
Fishing started out really fast today. Caught 3 within 10 minutes of dropping lines. We were in 55 FOW catching most at 40 ft. White tube did well for me again. Caught around 20 total. Road going in was better today than Wednesday but still had some snow in places. Good luck Monday.
Thanks for the report
Nice video, thanks for sharing.
(03-22-2021, 04:11 PM)lovetofish Wrote: Nice video, thanks for sharing.

Thank you!  Glad you enjoyed it.
@Knottyhooker:
Tomorrow being April 1st, what is your gut feeling on getting to SC ramp with a truck/snowmobile trailer attached?
Also, gut feeling of edge condition please?
Thanks!
(03-31-2021, 11:16 PM)MrShane Wrote: @Knottyhooker:
Tomorrow being April 1st, what is your gut feeling on getting to SC ramp with a truck/snowmobile trailer attached?
Also, gut feeling of edge condition please?
Thanks!

Getting to the ramp with a truck and trailer would be no problem.  The parking lots were snow free and the road in when we left Sunday afternoon was pretty clear as well.  There was still lots of ice 18+ inches and little to no slush.  That being said again when we left Sunday you could see where snow was melting and there were areas of puddles on top of the ice.  Looking at weather it is still dropping below freezing so I think edges and ice should be fine in the morning and then getting similar to the conditions when we left Sunday.  A little slushy but not dangerous at this point.  Hope this helps!
5 degs at coop creel temp sensor this morning, BRRRR!!!! Guess ill take the camper & SXS out this weekend  Sad Good luck on the hard deck