Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Slow Grind ends in a flurry at Willard
Got out to Willard before the weather turns this weekend. On the water lines in at 7:30 near the the feed lot working towards the south marina in 7-8’ of water. I caught three cats and my first flig carp by 11am, decided to pick up and move out to the west wall, when I got there, I fished for a bit but the wind was no fun so picked up again and ran to freeway bay and caught the rest of my limit in from 12-1pm starting with a double. 
[Image: 2569-D396-7567-40-CA-84-A7-51222756-BD4-B.jpg]

[Image: 4360-BC95-66-CE-43-B2-BA7-B-4-DA713118-FC1.jpg]
Hey Shawn, any reason for making the same post twice? Kitties are fun to catch, when few other fish are biting. How long was your biggest one?
(10-22-2022, 01:06 AM)It wiperhunter2 Wrote: Hey Shawn, any reason for making the same post twice? Kitties are fun to catch, when few other fish are biting. How long was your biggest one?

I don’t know why it was posted twice. I did edit the title. Biggest was maybe 23” caught several under 20” as well. I keep going after cats at Willard because I can’t afford the gas to tow my boat anywhere else.
(10-22-2022, 01:24 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(10-22-2022, 01:06 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Hey Shawn, any reason for making the same post twice? Kitties are fun to catch, when few other fish are biting. How long was your biggest one?

I don’t know why it was posted twice. I did edit the title. Biggest was maybe 23” caught several under 20” as well. I keep going after cats are at Willard because I can’t afford the gas to tow my boat anywhere else.sid

Got to love those Willard cats, they put up a great fight and being close to home is a win win in my book. Sometimes when you go back to a post you made, then push the back button, it will post a second time.
Nice work.  Best colors?
(10-22-2022, 11:40 AM)TubeDude Wrote: Nice work.  Best colors?

Blue and silver did most of the damage, but that’s probably because I always had that color in on one pole and rotated other colors on the other. I got the carp on purple perch.
(10-22-2022, 01:56 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

Blue and silver did most of the damage, but that’s probably because I always had that color in on one pole and rotated other colors on the other. I got the carp on purple perch.
I have caught quite a few carp on various sizes, styles and colors of fligs...and on several waters.  As most of us find, the carp in Willard are almost like the "predators" in that they feed on the shad.  Been lots of carp hooked while trolling cranks at mach 3. 

Oh, and by the way, you didn't spell the name of that other flig properly.  My "official" spelling is "Perple Purch".  But what's in a name? 

Have you been trying the pink tiger?  That was my best color on my last trip.   Ditto for the "Deadly Duo" (Curt & Ira).
(10-22-2022, 03:04 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(10-22-2022, 01:56 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

I have caught quite a few carp on various sizes, styles and colors of fligs...and on several waters.  As most of us find, the carp in Willard are almost like the "predators" in that they feed on the shad.  Been lots of carp hooked while trolling cranks at mach 3. 

Oh, and by the way, you didn't spell the name of that other flig properly.  My "official" spelling is "Perple Purch".  But what's in a name? 

Have you been trying the pink tiger?  That was my best color on my last trip.   Ditto for the "Deadly Duo" (Curt & Ira).
It was in the rotation but I didn’t hook up on it.
I was running a shorter 18” leader on it hoping to score some perch. I’ve been having better luck with the cats with longer 24-36” leaders.
(10-22-2022, 05:35 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: It was in the rotation but I didn’t hook up on it.
I was running a shorter 18” leader on it hoping to score some perch. I’ve been having better luck with the cats with longer 24-36” leaders.

Last week I was using only about a 12" leader...and moving more slowly...for most of the fish I got.  For the perch right now the bite zone is only a few inches off the bottom.  But the catfish will hit there too.  When the fish are more active and the water less stained a longer leader can work better.  But colder and cloudier water often takes lower and slower...with a shorter leader.
(10-22-2022, 06:32 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(10-22-2022, 05:35 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: It was in the rotation but I didn’t hook up on it.

Last week I was using only about a 12" leader...and moving more slowly...for most of the fish I got.  For the perch right now the bite zone is only a few inches off the bottom.  But the catfish will hit there too.  When the fish are more active and the water less stained a longer leader can work better.  But colder and cloudier water often takes lower and slower...with a shorter leader.

Yes I found the same, if the leader was to long it floated to high.