Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mistakes Anglers Make Setting Up Their Rigs
Good info and worth utilizing “before” you are on the water.
Another tip I will add is setting your drag properly, before you find out its wrong!!
You can give it a quick check by simply pulling out some line. If you fish enough and are familiar with your equipment it can get you set where you need it to be before it’s too late. Sometimes it’s good to test the drag with someone holding the line then check the drag when there is resistance and load through the rod. It does make a big difference and will help you land more fish with less break offs.
The tip on not reeling with the drag slipping and the reel spinning as posted earlier is a very common mistake, as mentioned it will make a big mess of your line in a hurry with serious line twist. On a high speed spinning reel you introduce 5 to 7 twists in the line for every turn of the handle when the drag is slipping. This is not a problem on casting reels but you won’t get the fish in if the drag is slipping. When I take less experienced fishers out, I tell them to think of using the rod to bring the fish in and the reel to bring in your line, don’t try to just crank the fish in. Seems to help them do better.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mistakes Anglers Make Setting Up Their Rigs - by Mildog - 04-19-2021, 03:54 PM